1137 users online (244 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #3

Please continue discussion of the Mickey Shunick case here.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172835"]Thread #1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173300"]Thread #2[/ame]

Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now

The Advertiser: Latest updates in Mickey Shunick disappearance

When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.

And much thanks to queenofcorona, who started the original thread!

I posted in #2 so reposting here.
    Do blinking lights deter someone in human trafficking? Or are they so fearless and swift it's inconsquential to them?

Also, in the human trafficking business, do they go out of town to get their victims???

Presser scheduled for 3 p.m.

bekind's post from thread #2:
    I did read that KATC would be cutting in on tv and online for the press conf. www.katc.com

Quote Originally Posted by concernedformickey View Post
    Do blinking lights deter someone in human trafficking? Or are they so fearless and swift it's inconsquential to them?

Also, in the human trafficking business, do they go out of town to get their victims???
    IF she was in a quiet, unpopulated, dark area, blinking lights probably wouldn't have been much of a deterrent.

I hate even thinking about human trafficking. I don't know how Lafayette would fall in terms of their hunting grounds, but IF someone was hunting here, Mickey's route certainly included areas that would make the abduction easy.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    IF she was in a quiet, unpopulated, dark area, blinking lights probably wouldn't have been much of a deterrent.

I hate even thinking about human trafficking. I don't know how Lafayette would fall in terms of their hunting grounds, but IF someone was hunting here, Mickey's route certainly included areas that would make the abduction easy.
    JVM said on her show the other night that BR is in the top 10 cities for Human trafficking. As many know, BR and Lafayette aren't all that far from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedformickey View Post

I would assume the blinking lights would be a deterrent but I'm a law abiding citizen so I can't be certain. Who knows how these types of people think? In January of 2011, our local news warned us that Baton Rouge, LA is now in the top 10 cities in the US involved in human trafficking.http://www.katc.com/mobile/news/bato...n-trafficking/
    Signs are up all over out interstates warning about it. Baton Rouge 60 miles west of Lafayette, a straight shot down I-10. Baton Rouge sits on the banks of the Mississippi River. I would assume the people who are involved in trafficking humans use the river and interstate to do their "business".
    I am going to do further research on trafficking. Our media named a organization here called Cajuns Against Trafficking, I'll start there.

I just wish MS's momma could have an answer, you know? I can't imagine facing day 7 of not knowing where my babies were.

Referring back to a post, about her phone, in the previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post

Chief Craft has always used the term "turned off." I've asked before if anyone knew if he meant that literally or if he could be using that terminology for "it went dead" but no one really knows. I do think his term is significant, because I find that LE often chooses their words very carefully. And if it is a carefully chosen statement, then yes, somebody turned her phone off.

<respectfully snipped for focus>

I know that at one link M's sister said the two of them have the same model of phone and that the model has a long battery-life ... BUT, I've been thinking: We don't know when M last charged her phone and she had just been to a concert -- sometimes phones get heavy use there, taking pictures, "saluting" the band, etc. Maybe the battery charge DID give out soon after (from reports, BW's did). Or maybe the charge was getting low and she turned the phone off to conserve what charge it had, in case she needed to make an emergency call, etc., on the way home. Sometimes, when my daughter gets caught out somewhere with a low battery and no charger, she'll switch her phone off (letting me know she's going to...well, sometimes!) to conserve for those kinds of occasions.

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    The Chief reinerated for everyone to search their properties, abandoned or empty buildings and even the rooftops.

Hope in the presser someone asks about the disturbances that were reported to have taken place early Saturday morning.

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LanieCoz View Post
    JVM said on her show the other night that BR is in the top 10 cities for Human trafficking. As many know, BR and Lafayette aren't all that far from each other.
    Possible they don't transfer just by vehicle either. How easy would it be by boat? I hate to even think she was taken for trafficking. Not only because it would be almost impossible to find her...since they are so well organized, but to exist like a slave. I pray that is not the case.

Is it true that she was holding her mace in her hand when she rode off that night--or is that speculation?

If she was holding her mace, then it seems weird that she would turn her cell off.

Also, if her mace was in her hand, it seems odd it would not have been found in the bushes or alongside the road, if she had been abducted. It seems to me it would have been lost in a scuffle if she had been kidnapped. Because they would have to knock her off her bike, imo. Unless they lured her somehow.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Is it true that she was holding her mace in her hand when she rode off that night--or is that speculation?

If she was holding her mace, then it seems weird that she would turn her cell off.

Also, if her mace was in her hand, it seems odd it would not have been found in the bushes or alongside the road, if she had been abducted. It seems to me it would have been lost in a scuffle if she had been kidnapped. Because they would have to knock her off her bike, imo. Unless they lured her somehow.
    I think Nancy Grace said she had her little bottle of mace in hand for dramatic effect. Before her show, I had only heard that MS had the mace on her, not that she was actually holding it. Some people clip it to their shirt or jeans pocket--maybe that was the case.

I remember reading about a rash of bike burglaries in the San Fernando Valley a few years ago. And how high school kids were getting their bikes stolen from them. The thieves would follow them in a van, and pull over just ahead of them, and someone would jump out and knock them off their bike, and then pick up the bike and throw it in the van. At the time, I was just thankful they were not taking the kids along too.

But it makes me wonder if this describes how they took Mickey as well.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

I think she was likely abducted by someone she knows. Most of her path was residential or brightly lit and busy. If she left Ryan St. and went down Parkside Dr. she would have been along a coulee on one side and homes on the other. Once she crossed University and was on Souvineer Gate, she would have been going along a residential path as well. The homes in the area are older, and living in an old house in Lafayette, you can hear pretty much anything that takes place outside of your house at night. If she were kidnapped, there would have been a struggle and someone would have heard or seen something. It seems much more likely that someone she knew came up alongside of her in the car and offered her a ride, she said yes, and things went downhill from there. It also would account for all of her belongings being missing. It would also account for her not being seen riding on any videos, if she were picked up in the St. Street area--a lot of college students that she may have known live around there, as well as it being relatively close to the bars on the Strip where college kids are known to frequent.

Most crime in Lafayette happens on the North Side of town...while Ryan St. and Congress borders the shadier areas of the city, the path she would have taken isn't "that bad". Personally, when attending UL I would feel uneasy walking back to my car on St. Mary street at 9 pm after a class, but through 4 years of college and 2 night classes a semester, I was never followed, approached or harassed. And once she had crossed Cajundome Blvd, she would have been in a well-lit, more populated area.

I'm curious as to whether or not they checked the parking garage by the old Lourdes for any sign of anything...so close and so creepy now that the hospital has moved, as well as a place that is somewhat secluded from the middle of a neighborhood.

I have to say that this has really shaken me up--my children aren't as old as MS (my oldest is 8) but her home is only about a mile and a half from my home and it really bothers me to think that something like this could have happened so close to where I live. That's not the sort of thing you picture when you think of Lafayette--in the 28 years I've lived here, the only crimes I've seen/experienced personally were bicycle thefts. The ones that makes the news are all on the other side of town, in places I don't even like to drive through in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyblue View Post
    Possible they don't transfer just by vehicle either. How easy would it be by boat?
    There are a lot of waterways in this area, it wouldn't be very hard to drive 30 minutes south and be at the Gulf of Mexico through Port of Iberia.

If I were a bad actor living in proximity to the Ryan Street house, this is how I would see it:

1. The pretty petite girl that visited with frequency at 100 Ryan has been on my radar for a while.

a. I've tucked away my knowledge of her with a 'let's wait and see' tag, hoping for an opportunity

2. As a bad actor I am aware that the carnival is in town, in a location that will bring marks into my territory

3. On the Friday evening Mickey disappeared, I am out late, roaming, hoping I will get lucky (robbery, etc), maybe luck onto a victim

4. I'm lurking in the shadows late in the evening, waiting to see what will happen along

5. I see the blinking lights of the bike and know instantly who it is

6. I watch as the girl and the guy go into the house and based on prior behavior patterns I suspect she will be out at some point to head home

a. Because I live in the area and know the comings and goings, I know he lives there alone

7. Based also on my prior watching, I know she heads left down Parkside when she leaves

a. I position myself in a dark place toward the end of Parkside and wait for her to come by

8. I accost her in the street, in the dark, before she even reaches Versailles (end of Parkside)

9. I'm on foot but I've arranged for a buddy to meet me there in a truck to carry us and the bike to a safe/secluded location

And that's how I see it. All of the above, from the time Mickey left BW's could have happened within 3-4 minutes. I think her behavior patterns were observed and utilized to abduct her. I don't think human trafficking has anything to do with this case. A trafficker would have to have prior knowledge of her habits or be incredibly lucky to happen upon her (and be prepared).

As I mentioned in one of my prior posts, I knew someone who lived at 101 Ryan years ago, who was raped there in broad daylight. That is how it happened there. He watched and he knew her habits.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast