1088 users online (177 members and 911 guests)  

Websleuths News

IN - Gunman shoots self, taken to hospital

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...org%3E&ps=1011

VALPARAISO, Ind. (AP) A gunman looking for someone he believed owed him money shot himself inside an Indiana real estate office, where he'd held hostages for several hours earlier, and was taken to a hospital, police said Friday........

No hostages reported being shot. Grennes said one person who was struck in the head during the incident was treated and released from a hospital.

SWAT team members stormed the building less than two hours later.

More at link....

Coroner: Gunman in Indiana standoff from Texas

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ag=re1.channel

AP) VALPARAISO, Ind. - A Texas man who took hostages in a northwestern Indiana realty office and held police at bay for several hours suffered three gunshot wounds before dying, likely from two different weapons, a coroner said Saturday.

Roy L. Ferguson, 48, of Fulshear, Texas, died at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Porter County Coroner Chuck Harris said. That was two hours after the end of the nearly seven-hour standoff at Prudential Executive Group Real Estate office in Valparaiso, about 40 miles southeast of Chicago.
    -------

Valparaiso Police Chief Michael Brickner said officers believe Ferguson shot himself twice in the head before SWAT members broke windows and stormed inside less than two hours after the last two hostages had been released unharmed.

"He has some history here," Brickner said of Ferguson.

More at link....

Fiancee of man in standoff: He was betrayed by debtor

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...tor/?tag=stack

..........Ferguson's fiancee, Dawn Brim, told The Times of Munster for a story published Sunday that she doesn't understand what triggered Friday's incident, but is certain he was upset about money he was owed by a man who worked at the Prudential office.

"I know the gentleman owed him the money. I've seen the emails," Brim said. "He originally borrowed $15,000 and he paid a little of it back and all of a sudden he stopped paying it back. The last I heard he still owed about $13,000."
    -------

Brim described Ferguson as a loving father who had many friends. She said he'd been hailed as a hero seven years ago after rescuing a man from a burning home.............

Brim said Ferguson had suffered a series of setbacks in his life. His wife died several years ago, leaving him to raise three children. And a construction injury had left him in constant pain and often unable to work, she said........"I talked to him Thursday night. He told me he couldn't wait to get back home to the kids," she said.