1302 users online (269 members and 1033 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Andrew Haukereid, 79, San Antonio, 19 May 2012

Amtrak mystery: Train arrives in Chicago but Texas man no longer on it
    A man who was traveling to Chicago disappeared while on a train from San Antonio, Texas last weekend, an Amtrak spokesman and his family said today.
    The family of Andrew Haukereid Jr., 79, was going to meet him at Union Station last Sunday, but Haukereid never arrived, said his son, Greg Haukereid, who has flown into Chicago from Hawaii to help look for his father.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss
    Amtrak mystery: Train arrives in Chicago but Texas man no longer on it
    A man who was traveling to Chicago disappeared while on a train from San Antonio, Texas last weekend, an Amtrak spokesman and his family said today.
    The family of Andrew Haukereid Jr., 79, was going to meet him at Union Station last Sunday, but Haukereid never arrived, said his son, Greg Haukereid, who has flown into Chicago from Hawaii to help look for his father.
    More...

Thank you!!

Here is the FB page devoted to helping find him.

http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindAndrewHaukereid

Amtrak police are working with other agencies and Andrew Haukereid’s family to try to locate him, said Marc Magliari, a Chicago-based Amtrak spokesman.

Amtrak investigators have alerted police departments along the Amtrak route, especially between Arkansas — where the train was when Andrew Haukereid was last seen on Saturday --and Chicago.

A passenger who was traveling on the same part of the train as Andrew Haukereid told his family that he had been on the train, but was last seen at some point while the train was between Little Rock, Ark., and St. Louis.

Andrew Haukereid’s luggage, including his prescription drugs for pain and high blood pressure, arrived in Chicago, but when another son who was supposed to take him to Rockford tried to find him at Union Station, he was not there.

Greg Haukereid said his father may be confused, but does not suffer from dementia. He had retired and moved to San Antonio from Chicago.

Police told the missing man’s family that surveillance video doesn’t appear to show Andrew Haukereid getting off the train in either St. Louis or Chicago, Greg Haukereid said.

Andrew Haukereid is white, with thick, curly grey hair and is tanned. He stands about 5-foot-6 and weighs about 150 punds.

When last seen, Andrew Haukereid, who also is known as Junior, was wearing black dress pants, black dress shoes, a red T-shirt and a medium-colored blue jacket.

Anyone who may have seen Andrew Haukereid is asked to call local police.

I hope he's found soon and safe c@rol!!!

Do these trains make any stops at certain places? Could he have got off somewhere thinking he was at his destination and been lost?
    This is scary... he could have been robbed and someone pushed him off the train. Those things go pretty fast, right? I haven't been on a train since 1964... while we still had passenger trains running.

Ugh! This brings back memories of Mr Mussack.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=Mark+Mussack

Quote Originally Posted by gm8549 View Post
    Ugh! This brings back memories of Mr Mussack.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=Mark+Mussack

I thought the same exact thing.

I hope LE is checking credit card use and has checked with all coroners at the stops this particular train made.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

It is possible that he could have gotten off in St. Louis, but from what I'm hearing they have checked surveillance and did not see him get off. All his luggage made it to Chicago but he did not.

This is so sad. Wonder if there's any chance he got off at another stop, being confused. Maybe he de-boarded and missed re-boarding.

I hope he didn't somehow fall off the moving train.

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    I guess he didn't have a cell phone? Wondering if he got into somewhat lengthy conversations with other passengers and that could be any clues to his state of mind or if he did mention where he was going? I haven't been on a train since taking "The City of New Orleans" in Chicago to downstate in 69', but wouldn't Amtrak have many stops between St Louis and Chicago?

I suppose Chi is the end of the line, but just in rememberance of a recent past trip of a man by bus who did die on the bus, missed his stop and went to the end of the line and they discovered him there. LE and coroner took possession of the body, but NO ONE contacted the family...and he had ID on him. It was the family searching with a PI that found him a MONTH later, IIRC.

What were the pain meds for?

Hope they find him soon.

gm8549......that's him. I didn't recognize the name.
    Last edited by hollyblue; 05-27-2012 at 12:22 AM.

I know that the family is reaching out to amtrak and asking for anyone on their facebook page, who was on the same train, to get in touch with them. Someone HAS to know something.

I wonder if some of the other cities where the train stopped have a "Union Station"? (That's the name of the station in my city which is not on this train route.) He could have heard that name and gotten off at the wrong stop...though I'd think he would have taken his belongings.

Was he a smoker? Might he have gotten off to try to get a quick smoke in and been left behind?

I do hope he's found soon!

Wouldn't Amtrak, in this day and age, have cameras in all the cars? I would also think an alarm or something would go off when the doors open during travel. Has train travel not progressed in the last 20 years?

I wonder how many passengers were on the train. I would think someone would hear a scuffle on the train if someone mugged him and pushed him out. It seems more likely he got confused and left the train at a station either to walk around or thinking that he was at his destination. But then what?

Man Missing from Train May Be in Arkansas (arkansasmatters.com)
    According to surveillance video, he did not get off in St Louis. So, now authorities are focusing on Walnut Ridge and Little Rock.
    very short article at link, with picture of Mr. Haukereid.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast