Identified! FL - Glades Co., WhtFem 509UFFL, 25-45, in canal, nail biter, Mar'81 - Nicki Elkins

deca

Reaction score
Doe Network Case file: 509UFFL
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/509uffl.html
509UFFL.jpg

The victim discovered on Mar 9, 1981 in Moore Haven, Glades Co, FL
Estimated Date of Death: 1 day prior
Cause of Death: Blunt trauma to head.

Estimated age: Late teens- early 20s
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4 1/2" (65.5"); 125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Auburn hair; hazel eyes. Non-professional tattoo of the letter "N" on top or right thumb. Copper colored nail polish on toes, none on fingers. She was a nail biter.
Fingerprints: Available

Today's news article about case: http://www.news-press.com/article/20120526/CRIME/305260010/Glades-County-cold-case-body-studied-ID?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

The above posted article says that they don't have very good pictures of her because she had been in the water and the pictures had been taken with a Polaroid. The sheriff also says they have very little evidence.

I think this is Diana Harris. She was reported missing in july, but too much is matching up. They look similar, and both connected to Trucadero area, AND nails painted, but I don't' see any mention on teeth. Namus has nothing. If you read further on the move from michigan was in end of Feb, body found beginning of March
Copied from http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=1766.0
Missing Person: Diana Lynn Harris

Date of Birth: 10-06-1953
Missing Since: July 15, 1981
Missing City: No Name Key, Monroe County
Missing State: Florida
Age at time of disappearance: 27
Race: White
Height: 5ft 6in
Weight: 125 lbs
Hair Color: Strawberry blonde
Hair (other): short, natural curl
Eye Color: Blue
Complexion: light

Characteristics: sometimes wore glasses, had full dentures on top or bottom and partials on opposite side, manicured nails-usually painted

Clothing: no pinks usually, usually blue jeans, sometimes wore turquoise strapless halter top and cut off shorts, dress shirts and t-shirts

Jewelry: turquoise jewelry, silver

Circumstances: Diana's daughter last saw her on June 7, 1981 at the Miami airport. Her children were leaving to visit their father. She was last known to live at the end of Tortuga Ln. on No Name Key, Florida, although some sources say she lived at Big Pine Key. The 1995 case files state No Name Key. 1981 case files were destroyed by the Sheriff who held office at that time as told by the the Sheriff in Monroe County today and indicated in the 1995 case files. It is unknown who Diana was last seen with. The family believes her disappearance is linked to Missing Person Tom Stump's case since the same people were questioned in both cases and the same person lived with each when Diana and Tom disappeared even though it the disappearances were 14 years apart.

I am not willing to discount Diana Harris- but beside the date issue we also have an age issue and the tattoo. It seems like a fairly visible tattoo that Jane Doe had and there is no mention of one on Diana Harris. The dentals are also a big deal-- but these cases (their paperwork anyway) seem to have been neglected or mishandled so who knows.

Namus UP #7915 for this Glades Jane Doe
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7915

Interestingly, Namus and Charley Project differ in the age range for this doe. Namus is 25-25 and Charley Project says late teens to early 20s.

Glades Doe was also found wearing jeans, a tank top and fleece lined ankle boots. I wonder if she was not from this area of FL. Fleece lined ankle boots seem out of place in Florida.

Might be useful to look in the Buckskin Girl thread (OH). Buckskin girl has almost the exact same stats for height, weight, hair color, age, etc. And they were found within 1 month of each other. So likely anyone we have considered over the years for BG might be worth a look for this girl as well.

Hmm, I confused the names......it's Tortuga Ln. and Trucadero rd...Sorry, I could of swore I saw Trucadero for both. So the areas aren't the same!!

I just saw this newly listed missing person in Charley Project:

Angela Joann DeLawder

92d1f8d4-6ef3-4618-a17e-c0c19e3e9bec.jpg
delawder_angela2.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/delawder_angela.html

There are some discrepancies, such as age, eye color, and she is a little taller than the Jane Doe.

But the Date LKA is spot-on to the estimated date of death for this Jane Doe, and the resemblance is pretty solid too.

Bumping it's now March which is 38 years and this poor woman still has not found her name.

I read above she was wearing fleece lined boots . She had to come from a cooler place than Florida is my first thought. No?

Bumping it's now March which is 38 years and this poor woman still has not found her name.

I read above she was wearing fleece lined boots . She had to come from a cooler place than Florida is my first thought. No?

More than likely she was from a much colder climate - probably north of Georgia at least.

Nicki Elkins was added to NamUs a few weeks ago. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) I sent a possible match email to the Glades County Sheriff's department and to Carrie Sutherland of NamUs. They both read my email but never responded. I found out on Samantha Steinberg's facebook page that they are comparing the two. (she is the one who did the rendering last year of the UID) I keep checking to see if anything else has been posted or if a match has been made. The age, time frame and that the UID and Nicki both have an N tattoo on their thumbs - but Nicki's is on her left and the UID is said to have one on her right thumb. The weight and eye color were off, but I have seen that many times also. I hope this case is solved and she finally gets her name back.

Nicki Elkins was added to NamUs a few weeks ago. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) I sent a possible match email to the Glades County Sheriff's department and to Carrie Sutherland of NamUs. They both read my email but never responded. I found out on Samantha Steinberg's facebook page that they are comparing the two. (she is the one who did the rendering last year of the UID) I keep checking to see if anything else has been posted or if a match has been made. The age, time frame and that the UID and Nicki both have an N tattoo on their thumbs - but Nicki's is on her left and the UID is said to have one on her right thumb. The weight and eye color were off, but I have seen that many times also. I hope this case is solved and she finally gets her name back.
Chaddy, I just found this potential match and came here to see if anyone else had already submitted. Have you heard anything back? This one looks promising

Chaddy, I just found this potential match and came here to see if anyone else had already submitted. Have you heard anything back? This one looks promising

Hi, I haven't heard anything back, but I did read that the DNA lab where they were to make the comparison at was closed due to Covid. Now with the spike of cases in Florida, I wonder if it will take even longer. I am hoping they come up with a match or rule out soon. I have been checking NamUs about everyday. I have both the UID and Nicki's NamUs profiles as tracked cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back