Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

As far as sleuthing out RSO's, how do I explain this. They're not all alike.
    Just because someone is an RSO, doesn't mean they are involved in committing violent crimes. In no way am I sticking up for someone who's made that list, but they are more often smooth operators - not abductors.
    That said, when I look at their pics most of them sure look creepy.

This is what the Sheriff in S. Lamar's case said publically last week though - only one percent of RSO's commit these types of crimes (taking a person and killing them).

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Woe.be.gone For This Useful Post:

I'm new here and live a few hours south of Lafayette. I spend a lot of time in the area and absolutely love it. It's the heart and soul of Cajuns and I am a PROUD CAJUN.

I'm also a total scared-y cat and usually try to stay away from anything like this. For some reason, this case has drawn me in and I've been glued to WS for days. You people are amazing.

I'm so sad for Mickey and her family and friends. I hope so much that she's found safe. I am anxious for answers but hesitant for them too. I dread hearing the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
    Everyone, I can't help but feel disconcerted about the finding of the Mickey's bike. I have a hunch that the bike was recently placed here.... I truly believe that it wouldn't take a week for locals to realize this.

Maybe he didn't go directly from the crime scene to I-10. Maybe he needed heat taken away from his area. Until a body or more incriminating evidence is found, I truly believe this is a tactic.
    Bump for this theory

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevedub For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
    Thanks for your input. I live 2 blocks from the University of Louisiana Lafayette campus and she was last seen on camera 4 blocks from the University (2 blocks from my house). This could be the reason.
    And Mickey is a student too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Woe.be.gone For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krisstanamus View Post
    Just posted that link to my bro and SIL. My oldest niece is a beautiful petite blonde.
    Even if we are all the way out here in Cali, it can never hurt to get the message across.

Thanks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to charminglane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krisstanamus View Post
    This is very freaky and scary!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Woe.be.gone View Post
    Just because someone is an RSO, doesn't mean they are involved in committing violent crimes. In no way am I sticking up for someone who's made that list, but they are more often smooth operators - not abductors.

This is what the Sheriff in S. Lamar's case said publically last week though - only one percent of RSO's commit these types of crimes (taking a person and killing them).
    I actually know a RSO and while his crime was not at all excusable, it wasn't violent and he'd never kidnap someone. He's basically an immature drunk.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Curlyred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eavesdropping View Post
    I actually know this man. I know where he is employed, and while it is technically an Indian restaurant, they are contracted out by another company in Lafayette and he runs the kitchen there. I worked for the company that contracts him out. So unless he also works at the restaurant at nights, I highly doubt MS ever met him. He is a very nice man, doesn't seem sketchy at all. (But that really means nothing.)
    That's why I feel badly sleuthing and posting about RSOs....as someone else said only 1% of them commit crimes like in SL's case and I hate even hinting at someone being involved in that kind of a crime. However, according to the RSO website, he did 7 and a half years in prison for sexual battery. I'm not sure what all "sexual battery" entails though....but 7 years in prison makes it sound like something really bad.... But who knows? Sorry to bring someone you know in to this. I just get worried - thanks to the Jaycee Duggadd case- that some RSO is being overlooked or not fully investigated.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:

I agree the perp may likely be local. Or if not from South Louisiana, maybe employed offshore or at a plant.

I think it would be worth it to search the parking lots at the PHI heliports in Lafayette, Houma, Morgan City, etc. If a similar truck is found, it could at least be visually inspected without a warrant.
    'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ailinawillis

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

And Mickey is a student too.
    I am also a student at the same University.

Cases like this interest me because although the streets near my area are not safe, a crime such as this one is not very common. This reeks of a serial suspect which shouldn't be underestimated. Obviously the FBI hasn't. I remain with the belief that the bike was recently planted until I am presented with evidence saying otherwise.

MICKEY IS STILL OUT THERE!

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Billiam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWRNHZ40 View Post
    Oh gosh....that sounds like something out of a James Patterson novel I once read. Ugh.
    Off topic and perhaps a bit of a diversion while we all check in from time to time feeling completely helpless and on pins-and-needles.

I'm not local but have to say that I've obtained a wonderful sense of day-to-day life in southern LA by reading the award-winning mystery novels of James Lee Burke and his fictional stories about a policeman named Dave Robicheaux who is based in New Iberia.

He has a new book coming out this summer:
    http://www.jamesleeburke.com/bibliography/46.php

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unscripted For This Useful Post:

Just checking in... hoping there will be some more info from LEOs. I see there's been a bit of discussion about the car in the photo, and my comments. I'm giving my opinion because I am an old car nut and, until recently, didn't own anything later than a '79. Gave in and got an '85 Supra. Driving around town, I always check out older cars. at least 99 out of 100 drivers driving that car- which definitely is a '79-'87 Cadillac, are black. I drive a '78 Lincoln and black folk approach me in parking lots all the time try to buy it off me. I literally get an offer almost every week. It's a complete fashion trend among south Louisiana blacks. The latest offer was this morning at the parts store. I'm the only white person I have ever seen driving one of those big 4-door boats.

The whole point of it is that if they are looking for that car, they are looking for a black driver, 99%+, guaranteed. Maybe it's different in different parts of the country, but we're talking about a search for a girl in her hometown, and that is the way it is in her town.

What's bugging me is that I am almost certain I saw that car a couple weeks ago somewhere here in town parked at a store. I think it was Wal-Mart on Pinhook, Academy or Lowe's on Ambassador Caffery. It was beige/tan. I remember it because it was unusually beat-up, the plastic taillight-to-fender fairings had rotted away, leaving a gap and I (I'm trying to remember better now - beating my head) think the right quarter panel had body work/primer.

Going to have to almost hypnotize myself to try to remember.... because I remember thinking that it was a beater... and many of those old Caddys actually have been kept in decent shape by the owners.

Later I'm going to get real quiet and see if I can remember where. Yeah, there are a lot of those old Caddys around town, but I specifically remember the beige/tan beater.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    It really bothers me that there has been three females missing from the area; one for the last three months. Two 16 yr olds...and now MS. Granted MS is a bit older, but she is tiny. Could there actually be someone gathering these girls up and holding them somewhere? Perfecting his skills and wants for a little more mature female? Three missing from a population of 120K ...at the rate of 1 per month is pretty darn scary, imo.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hollyblue For This Useful Post:

I'm not local but have to say that I've obtained a wonderful sense of day-to-day life in southern LA by reading the award-winning mystery novels of James Lee Burke and his fictional stories about a policeman named Dave Robicheaux who is based in New Iberia.
    Yes, James Lee Burke is one of the best writers I have ever read. He gives you an exact sense of this area, and most of the stories are about missing women. You read Burke, you get an idea of how difficult a job law enforcement has down here, due to the terrain.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedub View Post
    Bump for this theory
    bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Unscripted View Post
    Off topic and perhaps a bit of a diversion while we all check in from time to time feeling completely helpless and on pins-and-needles.

He has a new book coming out this summer:
    http://www.jamesleeburke.com/bibliography/46.php
    I appreciate the suggestion. I'm always looking for new authors to read. Thank you!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to RWRNHZ40 For This Useful Post:

kai

Quote Originally Posted by ktgirl View Post
    That's why I feel badly sleuthing and posting about RSOs....as someone else said only 1% of them commit crimes like in SL's case and I hate even hinting at someone being involved in that kind of a crime. However, according to the RSO website, he did 7 and a half years in prison for sexual battery. I'm not sure what all "sexual battery" entails though....but 7 years in prison makes it sound like something really bad.... But who knows? Sorry to bring someone you know in to this. I just get worried - thanks to the Jaycee Duggadd case- that some RSO is being overlooked or not fully investigated.
    I agree to look into EVERYONE. I don't know the specifics in why he was in prison, I was just putting in my two cents about him watching them from the restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Ailina View Post
    I agree the perp may likely be local. Or if not from South Louisiana, maybe employed offshore or at a plant.

I think it would be worth it to search the parking lots at the PHI heliports in Lafayette, Houma, Morgan City, etc. If a similar truck is found, it could at least be visually inspected without a warrant.
    I work at PHI. At most of the bases actually. You can not imagine the amount of vehicles at some of the locations. I see people drive in and out all day and I can tell you a large percentage of vehicles are white four door pickup trucks. They are just such a common crew truck. BUT, I do know that they all have security that drive around the parking lots all day. Some even log license plate numbers of every vehicle that parks there.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eavesdropping For This Useful Post:

Driving around town, I always check out older cars. at least 99 out of 100 drivers driving that car- which definitely is a '79-'87 Cadillac, are black.
    I meant to say, I THINK it's a '79-'89 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham/Brougham. not definitely, of course. But I've studied the picture and compared it to a lot of photos, and I think that's what they're looking for.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

[quote\]
    The whole point of it is that if they are looking for that car, they are looking for a
    Going to have to almost hypnotize myself to try to remember.... because I remember thinking that it was a beater... and many of those old Caddys actually have been kept in decent shape by the owners.

Later I'm going to get real quiet and see if I can remember where. Yeah, there are a lot of those old Caddys around town, but I specifically remember the beige/tan beater.[/quote]

I think it's good that at least that car is much more distinctive than a white 4 door pickup, which really common in south LA. Someone has to recognize it. Are they making flyers with the cars on them now as well? I think they should...in case someone doesn't have TV or the Internet or lives outside of Lafayette (for example, not as much coverage in NOLA- Times Picayune today finally had a short article but it wasn't on front page or anything- it was hidden away and I don't think it had the pics of any of the vehicles), so maybe flyers with the car/trucks pics and Mickey's pic should be put out everywhere possible.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:

Catching up on the thread, I just read the article at the link posted on the Sarasota PI. I don't think there's a connection between the petite blonde girls this PI has complied -and Mickey - but that could explain why the FBI was in on it so soon.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:

Sun sets in Lafayette at 8:03 p.m. CDT this evening. Still plenty of search daylight left.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Derek Todd Lee was an offender http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderd...AgencyID=54068
    I guess when your hands are tied and you really don't have anywhere else to search, you just go for the only options.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CIRCA For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone! I am from Lafayette and have been following this story from the beginning and following the WS thread from the beginning and I want to say I am completely addicted to this site now. I never knew there was anything like it and I can't wait to try my hand at sleuthing.

First off I'll say, I feel as though our community should be praised for the way it has come forward to help in this case. I will commend everyone who volunteered including myself and donated time, events, resources, food, money, or whatever. I believe if it was my daughter who went missing, and I have a 2 year old, I would have not been able to hold it together without support of family and friends. And with the support of thousands, I believe we are giving a little strength to the Shunick family.

Now for my two cents.

1. I also believe or hope to believe that LE would not have came forward with pictures of vehicles without good reason to suspect they were either involved or close to where they think she was abducted. It's hard to say "let's look for this truck" and leave the vehicles at the gas station alone.

2. IMO, having lived here my whole life, I know the routes between Lafayette and the Basin Bridge very well. The thing I don't understand is if presuming they had sexual intentions in mind for picking her up, between University and the Basin Bridge is about 15-20 minutes. If I am going to go through the hassle of kidnapping someone for sexual intentions (thinking like a criminal or trying to), I'm not going to be able to get my "enjoyment" in 15 - 20 minutes. So I believe more in they were trying to get rid of the bike in the back of their truck. (I also could be way off here, because they could have parked under the bridge that night and did whatever they did, but I find that wierd because anyone could go down there to ex. Drink, Screw, get high, what have you...,and I wouldn't want to get caught)

3. In South Louisiana, there are different kinds of people just like everywhere else. If they lived in Lafayette their entire life, they may think a coulee, or a drain, or a patch of woods off a main street would be a good place to hide someone, but drive 2 minutes out of town and they have people who haved lived in the country their entire life who will say this is ridiculous. There are woods, the Gulf of Mexico, Rivers, swamps, and of course the Atchafalaya Basin where the bike was found. But also saying that, there are better places than an exit. Which leads me to believe it is someone from in town Lafayette who just figured this would be the farthest, best place to lose the bike.

That's it for now. I've got alot more in my head.

BRING MICKEY HOME!!!

PS - If any of the veteran sleuthers wants any information about the surrounding areas, I'll try to help. I'll log in later.

Hi insaneatlast, and welcome to WS.

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I'm not blonde and about 10 inches too tall to be petite, but that link about all the missing girls is spooking the bejeezus out of me. I really do wonder if Mickey's disappearance could be related. The fact that the FBI stepped in pretty quickly seems to lend credence to that theory, but I'm hardly an expert.

The fact that they found her bike way out there gives me a very bad feeling. I've driven on that bridge many times and it's a wild, lonesome place, especially at night. It's also a huge area to search. I'm praying that she's found alive and ok, I really am, but I have a very heavy heart about all this

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bonbonbelle For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast