Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 567

Thread: LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Unscripted View Post
    KATC FaceBook entry and picture regarding current Exit 127 Activity:

    https://www.facebook.com/katctv3/posts/427278880626635
    Per the comments (take with a grain of salt/rumor), the police are questioning fishermen and boaters as to whether they saw anything floating or suspicious in the river.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

  2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    714
    The quickest way to stay abreast of the unfolding events is probably via Twitter:

    https://twitter.com/#!/katctv3

  4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unscripted For This Useful Post:


  5. #53
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    442
    There are cameras in-lane right at the truck stop weight station near Henderson.

    If working, they see (record?) every vehicle approaching the bridge.



    Quote Originally Posted by Secrett View Post
    I wonder if there are any traffic cameras on that bridge.

  6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:


  7. #54
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,813
    I just joined. Am a local. Whiskey Bay is, of course, where two of Derrick Todd Lee's victims were found. There is nothing there but a boat ramp. No gas stations, no buildings, no nothing. It's a jumping off point to take a boat deep into the Atchafalaya Basin, and also the only exit nearby that can be completely deserted at night, due to the lack of any businesses. I have worried about Whiskey Bay because it's so obvious that it's almost not obvious, if that makes any sense. Let's hope this bike rumor is a false alarm, because there are "better" places for the bike to be found, as far as a good outcome.

    To help eliminate this sort of outcome, I took my boat on the Vermilion for 7 hours last Tuesday. I put in at the Hwy. 92 bridge at Milton (a few miles downstream of Lafayette). I headed upstream and check every side cut and coulee mouth I found, and went as far up every coulee as I could get until I grounded. Went up past the airport until the Vermilion split into two bayous. Went up those bayous for about half a mile each until they became impassable. Then I came back down through the entire city, past Milton, and went down to Abbeville and back. No sign, no circling birds, no odor.

    I was glad to hear that they put boats on the river yesterday, because almost no one uses the Vermilion at all. It's the most unused river going through a largish city I have ever seen. In those 7 hours, covering maybe 30 miles, I saw exactly one boat. The folks hanging out at the Milton Landing said that right before I pulled up again heading south from the city, they had seen a Vermilion Parish Sheriff's boat heading south toward Abbeville, with three officers. During my ride, as I passed some black fishermen on the banks near Hwy. 90, volunteers were going from person to person passing out flyers. I was impressed at the blanket coverage.

    The main reason I signed up is that I wanted to help ID the car in the photos. I'm an old car buff and have studied the photo for awhile. In my opinion, that car is either a 1979-'86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, or an '87-'89 Cadillac Brougham.

    There are two points that inform my conclusion:

    1. The back windshield is pretty small, due to the overlap of the vinyl top. From the research I did, the back windshield was bigger from '78 on back.

    2. In '90, Cadillac extended the vinyl top to encircle the back half of the rear passenger windows. Looking at the photo, you can see the vinyl top reflecting white. Had it been a '90 to '92 Brougham, you would have seen the white reflection on the right-rear passenger window extending forward.

    So, that's my opinion. That car should be easy to find, because there looks to be body damage to the right quarter, possibly involving the right taillight.


  8. #55
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyof6 View Post
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...89875161_n.jpg

    Picture of site of where the suspected bike was found.
    Notice all of the white vehicles, including pick ups. Shows what a needle in a haystack the white truck is

  9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Artis For This Useful Post:


  10. #56
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Locked Room
    Posts
    2,705
    IF someone dumped Mickey in or around where they dumped her bike (and I am still holding out that's she alive, but just "IF") then maybe the fact that it's a holiday weekend and so many people are out fishing (fishing and boating are HUGE in South Louisiana) is a good thing for this case. In addition to any searchers that will be sent out there, I feel like it's positive timing with the holiday weekend for fisherman or boaters to find something else. More eyes help, even if they aren't necessarily searching. They can happen upon stuff. Find it quickly where a ton of forensic evidence can still retrieved. (And I hope it is Mickey's purse or something...not Mickey)

  11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:


  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,332
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
    I just joined. Am a local. Whiskey Bay is, of course, where two of Derrick Todd Lee's victims were found. There is nothing there but a boat ramp. No gas stations, no buildings, no nothing. It's a jumping off point to take a boat deep into the Atchafalaya Basin, and also the only exit nearby that can be completely deserted at night, due to the lack of any businesses. I have worried about Whiskey Bay because it's so obvious that it's almost not obvious, if that makes any sense. Let's hope this bike rumor is a false alarm, because there are "better" places for the bike to be found, as far as a good outcome.

    To help eliminate this sort of outcome, I took my boat on the Vermilion for 7 hours last Tuesday. I put in at the Hwy. 92 bridge at Milton (a few miles downstream of Lafayette). I headed upstream and check every side cut and coulee mouth I found, and went as far up every coulee as I could get until I grounded. Went up past the airport until the Vermilion split into two bayous. Went up those bayous for about half a mile each until they became impassable. Then I came back down through the entire city, past Milton, and went down to Abbeville and back. No sign, no circling birds, no odor.

    I was glad to hear that they put boats on the river yesterday, because almost no one uses the Vermilion at all. It's the most unused river going through a largish city I have ever seen. In those 7 hours, covering maybe 30 miles, I saw exactly one boat. The folks hanging out at the Milton Landing said that right before I pulled up again heading south from the city, they had seen a Vermilion Parish Sheriff's boat heading south toward Abbeville, with three officers. During my ride, as I passed some black fishermen on the banks near Hwy. 90, volunteers were going from person to person passing out flyers. I was impressed at the blanket coverage.

    The main reason I signed up is that I wanted to help ID the car in the photos. I'm an old car buff and have studied the photo for awhile. In my opinion, that car is either a 1979-'86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, or an '87-'89 Cadillac Brougham.

    There are two points that inform my conclusion:

    1. The back windshield is pretty small, due to the overlap of the vinyl top. From the research I did, the back windshield was bigger from '78 on back.

    2. In '90, Cadillac extended the vinyl top to encircle the back half of the rear passenger windows. Looking at the photo, you can see the vinyl top reflecting white. Had it been a '90 to '92 Brougham, you would have seen the white reflection on the right-rear passenger window extending forward.

    So, that's my opinion. That car should be easy to find, because there looks to be body damage to the right quarter, possibly involving the right taillight.
    Thank you for your efforts and your information. Bless you.

    ETA: Welcome to Websleuths. (sorry about my bad manners initially)
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:


  14. #58
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    442
    Good post, chicken_fried, and thank you for joining and giving your input. Thank you also for your initiative on the waterways.

    I agree with you re the Whiskey Bay area.

  15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:


  16. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    near MA
    Posts
    22,927
    Welcome to WS, chicken fried!

  17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  18. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    near MA
    Posts
    22,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Unscripted View Post
    The quickest way to stay abreast of the unfolding events is probably via Twitter:

    https://twitter.com/#!/katctv3
    Just added this link to the initial thread post so if anyone suddenly remembers they want to check Twitter, it's there as well.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  20. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,939
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
    I just joined. Am a local. Whiskey Bay is, of course, where two of Derrick Todd Lee's victims were found. There is nothing there but a boat ramp. No gas stations, no buildings, no nothing. It's a jumping off point to take a boat deep into the Atchafalaya Basin, and also the only exit nearby that can be completely deserted at night, due to the lack of any businesses. I have worried about Whiskey Bay because it's so obvious that it's almost not obvious, if that makes any sense. Let's hope this bike rumor is a false alarm, because there are "better" places for the bike to be found, as far as a good outcome.

    To help eliminate this sort of outcome, I took my boat on the Vermilion for 7 hours last Tuesday. I put in at the Hwy. 92 bridge at Milton (a few miles downstream of Lafayette). I headed upstream and check every side cut and coulee mouth I found, and went as far up every coulee as I could get until I grounded. Went up past the airport until the Vermilion split into two bayous. Went up those bayous for about half a mile each until they became impassable. Then I came back down through the entire city, past Milton, and went down to Abbeville and back. No sign, no circling birds, no odor.

    I was glad to hear that they put boats on the river yesterday, because almost no one uses the Vermilion at all. It's the most unused river going through a largish city I have ever seen. In those 7 hours, covering maybe 30 miles, I saw exactly one boat. The folks hanging out at the Milton Landing said that right before I pulled up again heading south from the city, they had seen a Vermilion Parish Sheriff's boat heading south toward Abbeville, with three officers. During my ride, as I passed some black fishermen on the banks near Hwy. 90, volunteers were going from person to person passing out flyers. I was impressed at the blanket coverage.

    The main reason I signed up is that I wanted to help ID the car in the photos. I'm an old car buff and have studied the photo for awhile. In my opinion, that car is either a 1979-'86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, or an '87-'89 Cadillac Brougham.

    There are two points that inform my conclusion:

    1. The back windshield is pretty small, due to the overlap of the vinyl top. From the research I did, the back windshield was bigger from '78 on back.

    2. In '90, Cadillac extended the vinyl top to encircle the back half of the rear passenger windows. Looking at the photo, you can see the vinyl top reflecting white. Had it been a '90 to '92 Brougham, you would have seen the white reflection on the right-rear passenger window extending forward.

    So, that's my opinion. That car should be easy to find, because there looks to be body damage to the right quarter, possibly involving the right taillight.
    and THANK YOU for searching. That is exactly what Mickey needs right now. She needs people to make a personal effort. So thank you and welcome to W.S.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  21. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:


  22. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    317
    It's been confirmed that it IS HER BIKE THAT WAS FOUND!

  23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mommyof6 For This Useful Post:


  24. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,587
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1893 View Post
    LE and news crews are there now, they found a bike but it hasn't been confirmed yet that it is Mickey's. They just suspect that it is her bike, as their report says.
    Didn't she have a Schwinn? LE and media could at least confirm color and make! That's not rocket science!

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Isabelle For This Useful Post:


  26. #64
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    442
    By in-lane, I mean ON the interstate, not at the truck lanes for the weight station. Every vehicle (and plate) going east bound is caught on camera (if working).



    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
    There are cameras in-lane right at the truck stop weight station near Henderson.

    If working, they see (record?) every vehicle approaching the bridge.

  27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:


  28. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rural Alabama
    Posts
    2,488
    This does make you think that the bike was taken when she was abducted and dumped by the person who abducted her. A random bike thief is probably not going to go to the trouble of taking the bike all the way out there.

  29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chili Fries For This Useful Post:


  30. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    near MA
    Posts
    22,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
    Didn't she have a Schwinn? LE and media could at least confirm color and make! That's not rocket science!
    A Schwinn Madison fixed gear, I think it was.

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  32. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,939
    I feel awful for her family and friends right now. I think the reality is going to quickly set in now. Although it is possible she is still alive somewhere, finding her bike abandoned in that desolate dumping ground is going to be devastating for them, imo.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:


  34. #68
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,813
    OK, Whiskey Bay is almost the FIRST place that should have been checked. I almost went out there myself a couple days afterward, and I guarantee I would have found the bike, because I recognize the location from the photo. But I assumed that it would have been checked right away. . so I didn't go. So.... either this is a massive law-enforcement cluster, OR, the bike was put there very recently. Makes me wonder if the perp has made a delayed exit from Lafayette, due to the publicity, and dumped the bike in the last day?


  35. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by ktgirl View Post
    You're right...likely....Seems like that should have been one of the first places they searched....like on Monday after she went missing or something.
    i agree. Hate to say it but I'm afraid they may find more than just her bike in that location now. Not giving up hope that she's still alive and coming home, but should she not be, I think they will find more there. Or at least somewhere along that stretch. Praying I'm very wrong, just seems "likely".

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finishstrong For This Useful Post:


  37. #70
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks for the greetings. Now we need as many prayers as possible.

  38. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:


  39. #71
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    263
    I wonder if the bike was recently dropped off there? I would think it would have been seen by now if it had been there since the 19th--there are a lot of fishermen in the Basin, even during the week and especially on weekends (the 20th, yesterday).

  40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JW1893 For This Useful Post:


  41. #72
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Locked Room
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Fries View Post
    This does make you think that the bike was taken when she was abducted and dumped by the person who abducted her. A random bike thief is probably not going to go to the trouble of taking the bike all the way out there.
    Though pretty unlikely, I'm still hoping that's what happened. Someone came upon her abandoned bike later and took it, got spooked and dropped it here. Although I suppose that still wouldn't give us an area to look for Mickey.

  42. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:


  43. #73
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
    I just joined. Am a local. Whiskey Bay is, of course, where two of Derrick Todd Lee's victims were found. There is nothing there but a boat ramp. No gas stations, no buildings, no nothing. It's a jumping off point to take a boat deep into the Atchafalaya Basin, and also the only exit nearby that can be completely deserted at night, due to the lack of any businesses. I have worried about Whiskey Bay because it's so obvious that it's almost not obvious, if that makes any sense. Let's hope this bike rumor is a false alarm, because there are "better" places for the bike to be found, as far as a good outcome.

    To help eliminate this sort of outcome, I took my boat on the Vermilion for 7 hours last Tuesday. I put in at the Hwy. 92 bridge at Milton (a few miles downstream of Lafayette). I headed upstream and check every side cut and coulee mouth I found, and went as far up every coulee as I could get until I grounded. Went up past the airport until the Vermilion split into two bayous. Went up those bayous for about half a mile each until they became impassable. Then I came back down through the entire city, past Milton, and went down to Abbeville and back. No sign, no circling birds, no odor.

    I was glad to hear that they put boats on the river yesterday, because almost no one uses the Vermilion at all. It's the most unused river going through a largish city I have ever seen. In those 7 hours, covering maybe 30 miles, I saw exactly one boat. The folks hanging out at the Milton Landing said that right before I pulled up again heading south from the city, they had seen a Vermilion Parish Sheriff's boat heading south toward Abbeville, with three officers. During my ride, as I passed some black fishermen on the banks near Hwy. 90, volunteers were going from person to person passing out flyers. I was impressed at the blanket coverage.

    The main reason I signed up is that I wanted to help ID the car in the photos. I'm an old car buff and have studied the photo for awhile. In my opinion, that car is either a 1979-'86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, or an '87-'89 Cadillac Brougham.

    There are two points that inform my conclusion:

    1. The back windshield is pretty small, due to the overlap of the vinyl top. From the research I did, the back windshield was bigger from '78 on back.

    2. In '90, Cadillac extended the vinyl top to encircle the back half of the rear passenger windows. Looking at the photo, you can see the vinyl top reflecting white. Had it been a '90 to '92 Brougham, you would have seen the white reflection on the right-rear passenger window extending forward.

    So, that's my opinion. That car should be easy to find, because there looks to be body damage to the right quarter, possibly involving the right taillight.

    Thank you and your local perspective is great.

    Do you think all three pics of the white truck are the same white truck?

  44. The Following User Says Thank You to Artis For This Useful Post:


  45. #74
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    442
    I'm thinking along those same lines too. If they only find the bike that means to me there's a good chance she is alive.

    Quote Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
    ....OR, the bike was put there very recently. Makes me wonder if the perp has made a delayed exit from Lafayette, due to the publicity, and dumped the bike in the last day?

  46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:


  47. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    464
    This is quite an interesting development. From the way the locals are describing this area, it would be common knowledge to locals that this specific area would be a difficult area to search. She has been missing for over a week now and it somehow feels convenient to find her bike in this place. Very possible this could be a misdirection attempt, can't discount that angle.

  48. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frogzilla For This Useful Post:


Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Found Deceased LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012
    By CatFancier in forum Located! Information and Support
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM
  2. LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #18
    By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 1009
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 04:44 PM
  3. LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #13
    By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 613
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM
  4. LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #7
    By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 537
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 11:42 PM
  5. LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2
    By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 546
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •