LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue discussion of the Mickey Shunick case here.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172835"]Thread #1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173300"]Thread #2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173520"]Thread #3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173629"]Thread #4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173744"]Thread #5[/ame]

• [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173725"]Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY * [/ame]

• KATC Twitter feed

• Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now

• Lafayette Police Department updates

• When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.

• Please do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.

• Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.

And much thanks to queenofcorona, who started the original thread!

Have we heard from queenofcorona today? Maybe they have been searching all day?

Please Note: Scanner chatter stays in the scanner thread. You can link the scanner thread and say something like "go have a look." That's it. Scanner chatter is like Vegas - what happens in the scanner thread stays in the scanner thread.

Thanks!

Salem

My daughter was part of a search team yesterday near Carencro. Nothing productive was found there, old rusty shovels, a dead dog, a snake, old beat up shoes but not much else but tall weeds, poison ivy and thick brush. All the searchers and volunteers are to be commended for their countless hours of dedication to bringing Mickey home.

Since we are on a new thread, maybe the locals can pitch in to describe the area where the bike was found again. My understanding up to this point is that it is an extremely remote area, a creepy place, mostly used for the boat dock, has a notoriety for nefarious activities, murder victims have been found in the area and is generally a place where people dump all kinds of trash. Anything else to add or correct?

Reposting, as this posted after the thread closed:

The bike could be a ruse to draw off resources... to what end? I'm still pondering this.

I'm trying to put my self in the perp's shoes. A girl on a bike is missing. I'm leaving Lafayette with a girl and a bike. In some ways, a girl is more easily concealed in a truck than a bike, if unconscious. And maybe the bike is in the back, and a red flag. Separate girl from bike, and now you have a girl, but not the red-alert girl/bike combo.

Think about pulling over to dump bike at night as I head toward Baton Rouge. There is very little traffic.... but I'm afraid that with my luck, the moment I pull to the shoulder on the Basin Bridge, someone comes up behind and sees something. So I remember Whiskey Bay, and how desolate it is. Then I start down the deserted exit. but then I get paranoid that there might be someone down there to see. And there's no other exit for quite awhile. I rush to a decision and stop on the exit ramp - jump out, toss the bike over the side, cringing at whatever noise it may make, then drive through the boat ramp area, freaking out and looking around, then get on the on-ramp and get the hell out/.// with Mickey still with me.

I would really hope -- if an innocent citizen posted that flyer near the bridge -- someone comes forward to clarify to LE they are responsible for that particular flyer.

Or...I'd be comforted to know there are other flyers along the same route/area which would seem to me a "canvassing" rather than the sordid alternative taunting message.

And this was the follow-up that failed to post when I got the "thread-closed" message:

The perp is doing things fast, with a sense of urgency, and so the scariest parts for him are dropping the bike into the dark and waiting for a crash or splash, and then banzai-ing through the boat-ramp area, back onto the onramp, knowing that if someone happens, by a long-shot, to be there, he is caught.

Then he gets back on I-10 East, or I-10 West.

All of this supposes that the bike were dumped directly after the abduction.

That would explain the haphazard drop.

Were the bike dumped later, it is harder to explain.

LEOs may have just missed the bike until now. This is the biggest mystery - when was the bike put there? It tells a lot. The lack of rain actually makes it harder to determine how long the bike has lain there.

I've not posted yet in this forum, but I've been following it and praying for Mickey's safe return home. I just read on the previous thread that her bike was found and my heart sank! I hope they find her - and find her soon! That fact that they found her bike and where they found it is very concerning. I pray she okay. Come home Mickey. Come home safe.

Yes, extremely creepy and remote as I noted in a previous post. We had to stop off for an emergency on this exit and unless you've ever been there its hard to imagine just how eerie it is out there!

Dead grass/weeds under the bike would mean earlier rather than later-as well as trash on top of it. Although it was easy to spot.

Since we are on a new thread, maybe the locals can pitch in to describe the area where the bike was found again. My understanding up to this point is that it is an extremely remote area, a creepy place, mostly used for the boat dock, has a notoriety for nefarious activities, murder victims have been found in the area and is generally a place where people dump all kinds of trash. Anything else to add or correct?

The area of interest is a vast swamp/wetland called the Atchafalaya Basin. I-10 travels directly through it by means of a 20 mile bridge. While on the bridge, one can look to the left or right and see swamp with cypress trees for miles.

It is a very popular place among people who like to fish or hunt in that area. However, there are a few people who reside there. The area is pretty much, among locals, synonymous with being a creepy place and perfect for body ditching.

The bike could be a ruse to draw off resources... to what end?

This is a question I'd love to hear addressed by a criminal profiler. Surely there are details that would seem to reveal the drop was made either in haste or calculated. I'm hoping the more experienced investigators on the scene were able to immediately observe just such details.

That's about it. It's also off/under an exit off the 19 mile basin bridge (Whiskey Bay exit) you'd find on the 50 mile or so drive towards Baton Rouge. It's in the middle of the bridge.

It's best understood on Google Earth. I'm sorry I don't know how to link that. It's an exit of I-10 that services a popular boat ramp into the Atchafalaya Basin. Approaching it from either side, you can see boat ramp from your elevated perspective, between the separated twin spans of I-10. Some people may forget that I-10 at this point is elevated something like 25' above the swamp.

It's simple. Ramps to put your boat in the water, access roads from I-10, and a paved road going north and south. I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think there is even a bathroom... other locals please correct.

So really, it's just an ill-lit crossroads amid a swamp, with directions to drive or boat away from it.

SO.... it's remote in that there's nothing around for miles, but not so remote, in that there are roads leading to it and it's right under I-10.

Did that help any?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173427"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This is a question I'd love to hear addressed by a criminal profiler. Surely there are details that would seem to reveal the drop was made either in haste or calculated. I'm hoping the more experienced investigators on the scene were able to immediately observe just such details.

I'm sure they are happy to finally have something to go on. Finding just the bike there opens up may possibilities and shuts down many others....

Thank you to all the locals posting here and giving us insight. It sounds like you have a town filled with wonderful people who care!

I pray that Mickey is alive and will be brought home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74