Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogzilla View Post
    Since we are on a new thread, maybe the locals can pitch in to describe the area where the bike was found again. My understanding up to this point is that it is an extremely remote area, a creepy place, mostly used for the boat dock, has a notoriety for nefarious activities, murder victims have been found in the area and is generally a place where people dump all kinds of trash. Anything else to add or correct?
    It's best understood on Google Earth. I'm sorry I don't know how to link that. It's an exit of I-10 that services a popular boat ramp into the Atchafalaya Basin. Approaching it from either side, you can see boat ramp from your elevated perspective, between the separated twin spans of I-10. Some people may forget that I-10 at this point is elevated something like 25' above the swamp.

It's simple. Ramps to put your boat in the water, access roads from I-10, and a paved road going north and south. I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think there is even a bathroom... other locals please correct.

So really, it's just an ill-lit crossroads amid a swamp, with directions to drive or boat away from it.

SO.... it's remote in that there's nothing around for miles, but not so remote, in that there are roads leading to it and it's right under I-10.

Did that help any?

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

Red face

Where exactly would one find this scanner thread?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173427"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eavesdropping For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 'Ailina View Post
    This is a question I'd love to hear addressed by a criminal profiler. Surely there are details that would seem to reveal the drop was made either in haste or calculated. I'm hoping the more experienced investigators on the scene were able to immediately observe just such details.
    I'm sure they are happy to finally have something to go on. Finding just the bike there opens up may possibilities and shuts down many others....

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

Thank you to all the locals posting here and giving us insight. It sounds like you have a town filled with wonderful people who care!

I pray that Mickey is alive and will be brought home!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Can someone help clear up something for me? I was just over on the Find Mickey Facebook page and read the post about the bike and it possibly being a rumor that it was found. Instead of me going back through all the previous posts here to find a reputable news link, was her bike indeed recovered or is this still just a rumor?

It would take a lot of guts to go down the off-ramp and carry the bike under the bridge, any time of day or night. The odds of someone driving in there just as one was coming back out from under the bridge are small, but scary. I would lean toward them stopping on the I-10 off-ramp, as few feet as possible after exiting I-10, and dropping the bike then.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krisstanamus View Post
    Where exactly would one find this scanner thread?
    Current page of Mickey's scanner thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7974956#post7974956"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Road View Post
    Can someone help clear up something for me? I was just over on the Find Mickey Facebook page and read the post about the bike and it possibly being a rumor that it was found. Instead of me going back through all the previous posts here to find a reputable news link, was her bike indeed recovered or is this still just a rumor?
    http://www.katc.com/videos/police-find-mickey-s-bike/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to charminglane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Road View Post
    Lafayette, LA – Lafayette Police are confirming that Mickey Shunick’s bike has been found beneath the Whiskey Bay I-10 Bridge at Exit #127. Some local fisherman located the bike and notified police through the tips line. The entire area and the river are being searched for clues and evidence. Police are asking the public to remain out of the area so that law enforcement officials can search. The case remains under investigation.
    http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Pr...asp?PR_Id=4677

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
    Reposting, as this posted after the thread closed:

The bike could be a ruse to draw off resources... to what end? I'm still pondering this.

I'm trying to put my self in the perp's shoes. A girl on a bike is missing. I'm leaving Lafayette with a girl and a bike. In some ways, a girl is more easily concealed in a truck than a bike, if unconscious. And maybe the bike is in the back, and a red flag. Separate girl from bike, and now you have a girl, but not the red-alert girl/bike combo.

Think about pulling over to dump bike at night as I head toward Baton Rouge. There is very little traffic.... but I'm afraid that with my luck, the moment I pull to the shoulder on the Basin Bridge, someone comes up behind and sees something. So I remember Whiskey Bay, and how desolate it is. Then I start down the deserted exit. but then I get paranoid that there might be someone down there to see. And there's no other exit for quite awhile. I rush to a decision and stop on the exit ramp - jump out, toss the bike over the side, cringing at whatever noise it may make, then drive through the boat ramp area, freaking out and looking around, then get on the on-ramp and get the hell out/.// with Mickey still with me.
    Chicken fried, I like your speculation as I tend to try and put myself in the perp's shoes also. I think the perp is local, though, and has Mickey in Lafayette. The only way he would keep going on I-10 is if he had resources to do so and a place to take her ...where is he going? I think he made the turnaround and came back home.

Your posts have been great, by the way. I appreciate the way you write and think. (I'm local too)

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:

I can assure you after our emergency stop there in the early 90s, there is no restroom. My restroom was in the tall grasses (lol). Not a good experience at all for me.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torchcat For This Useful Post:

Photos from bike discovery location: http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb...5270801&Ref=PH

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast