1181 users online (245 members and 936 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    191

    Spanish Doctor ordered to pay for child's upbringing after botching abortion

    Spanish doctor ordered to pay for child's upbringing after botching abortion

    Mother didn't realize abortion had failed until three months later


    By Meghan Neal / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

    A Spanish doctor was ordered to pay child support to a baby born after he bungled a woman’s abortion, a judge ruled this week in Palma, Spain.

    The baby was born healthy after a full nine-month term despite the doctor’s performance of a surgical abortion to terminate the pregnancy, Spanish newspaper Diario de Mallorca reported Wednesday.

    The boy is now 18 months old.

    The mother, 24, didn’t find out the abortion had failed until three months later, at which point it was too late to repeat the procedure.

    In the unprecedented case, Judge Francisco Perez ordered the gynecologist pay $1,300 a month until the child’s 26th birthday — plus another $189,000 for moral damages suffered by the young mother, Diario de Mallorca reports.


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...#ixzz1wAExKmua

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    275
    Whoa....karma.


    "I bear the chain I forged in life...I made it of my own free will and of my own free will I wore it....your chain was fully as long as this seven Christmas Eve's ago - and you have labored on it since." Jacob Marley


    MURDERER'S! You know g**damn well what happened to your kid so stop playing the victim and just confess you lying murdering liars! - Mr. Chris Stotch - South Park


    All posts are my opinion only.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27,180
    I can't imagine how he could have botched the abortion unless the woman was carrying twins and only one was aborted ... I mean, there must have been something that was aborted for the doctor to believe that he had performed the procedure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,187
    Hmmm.... and she bears absolutely NO responsibility in this situation at all? Unless this was a rape situation, the mother is MORE responsible for this "unwanted" child than the doctor. What about adoption? Was it too late for the mother to make THAT choice?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,232
    SHe went in for a legal medical procedure that was botched by the doctor. She made a responsible decision, but because of the doctor's error, not hers, there is now a child in need.

    Let's not put this back on "the woman shouldnt have had sex", please.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Hmmmm.....

    The cynical part of me wonders if the physician was pushing a personal agenda. Is it possible he knew very well he was not aborting this fetus, thereby violating his patient's trust and his physician's oath? It's hard to fathom how he could have botched the procedure. On the other hand, medical/surgical errors are made all the time because physicians/surgeons are human, and at times unreasonable expectations are placed on them by a naive and sometimes greedy consumer. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'm suspicious. If it was an anomaly on the part of the physician/procedure, I would think for her son's sake she would've kept quiet about it. Hope she's not just in it for the money.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    SHe went in for a legal medical procedure that was botched by the doctor. She made a responsible decision, but because of the doctor's error, not hers, there is now a child in need.

    Let's not put this back on "the woman shouldnt have had sex", please.
    Why not? Because women can never be at fault?

    She made a mistake. The doctor made a mistake. Sounds like they are even to me. Why is one more responsible than the other? I'm not excusing the doctor, but the woman DID have the option to give said child up for adoption. If *I* was the judge, I would have ruled that the doctor must pay child support TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO ACTUALLY WANTS THE CHILD. Not the mother. She should just get the $189K.

    I think I am entitled to have an opinion (if I'm not mistaken...) and you are entitled to yours. My opinion is no less or more valuable than yours, and I respectfully ask you to be considerate of it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by animlzrule View Post
    Hmmmm.....

    The cynical part of me wonders if the physician was pushing a personal agenda. Is it possible he knew very well he was not aborting this fetus, thereby violating his patient's trust and his physician's oath? It's hard to fathom how he could have botched the procedure. On the other hand, medical/surgical errors are made all the time because physicians/surgeons are human, and at times unreasonable expectations are placed on them by a naive and sometimes greedy consumer. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'm suspicious. If it was an anomaly on the part of the physician/procedure, I would think for her son's sake she would've kept quiet about it. Hope she's not just in it for the money.

    BBM.... that's where my heart is at. This poor baby!!! I hope she has had a change of heart, or at least someone in his life is showing him that he is wanted and loved. There are TONS of people out there who desperately want to be called parents.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
    Why not? Because women can never be at fault?

    She made a mistake. The doctor made a mistake. Sounds like they are even to me. Why is one more responsible than the other? I'm not excusing the doctor, but the woman DID have the option to give said child up for adoption. If *I* was the judge, I would have ruled that the doctor must pay child support TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO ACTUALLY WANTS THE CHILD. Not the mother. She should just get the $189K.

    I think I am entitled to have an opinion (if I'm not mistaken...) and you are entitled to yours. My opinion is no less or more valuable than yours, and I respectfully ask you to be considerate of it.
    BBM What mistake did the woman make?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
    BBM.... that's where my heart is at. This poor baby!!! I hope she has had a change of heart, or at least someone in his life is showing him that he is wanted and loved. There are TONS of people out there who desperately want to be called parents.
    According to the article she claims she is now accepting and glad. And if her intentions by suing the doctor were genuine and designed to help raise the child then I agree it was a tragic scenario for all involved and my heart goes out to her for having tried to do the responsible thing only to have it backfire. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to ever burden my child with even the tiniest notion that they may not have been wanted by me personally, whether or not that was truly the case. I hope this child never hears the story.
    Last edited by animlzrule; 05-28-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling, geesh


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by animlzrule View Post
    BBM What mistake did the woman make?
    The one that brought her to the doctor in the first place. Like I said, with the exception of violence or medical hoopla which the article doesn't specify, the woman was most likely obtaining an abortion because she did not intend to get pregnant. There is a reason why the word "misconception" sits next to "mistake" in the dictionary.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by animlzrule View Post
    According to the article she claims she is now accepting and glad. And if her intentions by suing the doctor were genuine and designed to help raise the child then I agree it was a tragic scenario for all involved and my heart goes out to her for having tried to do the responsible thing only to have it backfire. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to ever burden my child with even the tiniest notion that they may not have been wanted by me personally, whether or not that was truly the case. I hope this child never hears the story.
    BBM.... I am happy for that! However.... it is kinda odd that if she is glad she would sue the doctor. I would be huggin' that doctor's neck! Wonder if the dad can't provide the support?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,166
    was she raped or not?

    my opinion hinges on that info

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,232
    Quote Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
    Why not? Because women can never be at fault?

    She made a mistake. The doctor made a mistake. Sounds like they are even to me. Why is one more responsible than the other? I'm not excusing the doctor, but the woman DID have the option to give said child up for adoption. If *I* was the judge, I would have ruled that the doctor must pay child support TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO ACTUALLY WANTS THE CHILD. Not the mother. She should just get the $189K.

    I think I am entitled to have an opinion (if I'm not mistaken...) and you are entitled to yours. My opinion is no less or more valuable than yours, and I respectfully ask you to be considerate of it.
    No one ever said you're not entitled to an opinion. We all are. However, if we throw them out for public discussion on a discussion forum, you can't really expect that they won't be questioned, can you?

    Further, I'm not sure where you get the idea that I think women can't make mistakes. Never said anything close to that.

    I this case though, with the facts known, I don't see where the woman made a mistake. She went in for a legal procedure, assumed it was completed successfully, and went on with her life. You don't know what brought her to that appointment in the first place - maybe there was a birth control failure? It happens, quite often. But perhaps not. Either way, our moral opinions about why she went in for an abortion are irrelevant to the legal case, and we certainly don't know that she made any mistake at all.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
    The one that brought her to the doctor in the first place. Like I said, with the exception of violence or medical hoopla which the article doesn't specify, the woman was most likely obtaining an abortion because she did not intend to get pregnant. There is a reason why the word "misconception" sits next to "mistake" in the dictionary.
    We don't know that she made a mistake. (Or maybe I didn't scrutinize the article closely enough---I don't recall that the circumstances of conception were detailed, she may have taken all reasonable precautions to prevent this pregnancy) In any case, she did attempt to rectify her situation in a legal, responsible manner. It's the money that is troubling to me, as well as the possible future psychological vulnerability and insecurity this child may encounter as he becomes aware of the circumstances of his existence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 10:59 PM
  2. OH - Child Ordered To Walk 1/2 Mile After Being Shot
    By TexasRanger in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2015, 06:44 AM
  3. FL - Medical board revokes license of abortion doctor
    By Linda7NJ in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 05:34 PM