728 users online (59 members and 669 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1

    CO - Jaryd Atadero, 3, Comanche Peak, 2 Oct 1999

    Skull fragment likely from missing child
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...376007,00.html

  2. #2
    Coroner to issue death certificate for missing boy
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...385817,00.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,181
    I was reading through some Reddit threads and came across this case. The first post of that thread has all the relevant links and thorough information if you're interested.

    This case was closed back in 2003 but Jaryd's father (Allyn) maintains that foul play was involved in his son's death. He doesn't believe he was attacked by an animal (assumed to be a mountain lion).

    Allyn's two children were accompanied by ten adults on a hike to a nearby lake. They departed from the lodge that Allyn owned and he knew the adults. He didn't go with them but gave the group permission to go to a nearby lake. For some reason, they decided to hike towards a lake that was farther away. During the hike, they broke down into two groups and Jaryd was most likely running between them. At some point, he broke off and the rest of the adults lost him.

    Two fishermen reported that they came across Jaryd and he asked them if they were in bear country. They told him yes and he continued on, this was the last verified sighting of him. This encounter sounds odd since seeing a three-year old alone on the trails would probably raise some alarms for the witnesses but I guess they assumed that his group was nearby.

    A five day search yielded no results and it wasn't until June of 2003, when something was discovered. They found some clothing that was identified as his. A week later, they found parts of a skull cap and a tooth. Allyn is heavily critical of the investigation that took place and he has some disputes with the conclusions made.

    I haven't read his book but going off of the information available online, I think this was a tragic accident. I don't think foul play was involved but if there was, hopefully Allyn can uncover the truth behind his son's death.

    The podcast with Allyn is available for free on iTunes, part of the True Murder series.

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...393525078?mt=2

    Partial Remains Of Missing Littleton Boy Found

    Shredded Clothes Tell Sad Story
    Last edited by JusticeWillBeServed; 11-03-2015 at 02:08 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,797

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,797
    Jaryd's father has been interviewed for the upcoming Missing 411 movie/ documentary, by David Paulides. He maintains that there was foul play involved in his son's death. He said that Jaryd's shoes were too clean to have been outside for 3.5 years, his trousers were found inside out, his tooth was found placed on a log, no blood was found on any of the clothes and authorities never told him what kind of animal the light coloured hairs found on Jaryd's jacket were from.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,797

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayemonde View Post
    Jaryd's father has been interviewed for the upcoming Missing 411 movie/ documentary, by David Paulides. He maintains that there was foul play involved in his son's death. He said that Jaryd's shoes were too clean to have been outside for 3.5 years, his trousers were found inside out, his tooth was found placed on a log, no blood was found on any of the clothes and authorities never told him what kind of animal the light coloured hairs found on Jaryd's jacket were from.
    I have read somewhere ;-) that the official explanation for Jaryd's disappearance is mountain lion attack, and yet there was no blood found on poor Jaryd's chewed up clothing or anywhere else, for that matter. Has there ever been an explanation for the lack of blood evidence?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On the sunny shores of I-65
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkMtnGirl View Post
    I have read somewhere ;-) that the official explanation for Jaryd's disappearance is mountain lion attack, and yet there was no blood found on poor Jaryd's chewed up clothing or anywhere else, for that matter. Has there ever been an explanation for the lack of blood evidence?
    Wouldn't four years of rain wash out any blood? I would think so anyhow.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    Wouldn't four years of rain wash out any blood? I would think so anyhow.
    Good question. Wonder if they tested soil underneath the torn pants? Blood would have to go somewhere I guess.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    Wouldn't four years of rain wash out any blood? I would think so anyhow.
    Nope it's so dry out there that organic matter doesn't deteriorate. Even in a washing machine, you'd be hard pressed to remove all traces of blood.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,797
    Do we know for sure that no blood was ever detected on the clothing? From a source other than Jaryd's father or Paulides supporters, I mean. A father who has been eaten up by grief and guilt for years may not have the best understanding or recollection of such details. Would we be able to get hold of a copy of the report from the Colorado Beauteau of Investigation, or would it be confidential?

    Would bacteria, molds and insects be able to consume the blood? The sweater looks like it is make of artificial fleece material IMO so it wouldn't rot away, but perhaps and blood on the material would? And what about the affect of sunshine on the blood...

    I think that to actually come to an *informed* decision on this case, we will have to do some research Is it possible for clothing to be shredded by a Mountain Lion but not have any blood on them? And is it unusual for test on clothes sitting in a forest for several years to fail to find any blood, when in fact they did originally have blood on them.

    Body farms research this type of thing, I'll have quick look and see if they've published any papers about whether blood can be detected on clothes after several years out in the elements.

    Also, is it possible that Jaryd took his sweater off before he was attacked? How about his other clothes? I know that people suffering from hypothermia often paradoxically remove all their clothes, but would a toddler of Jaryd's age even have been able to undress by himself?
    Last edited by Rayemonde; 11-19-2015 at 12:59 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayemonde View Post
    Do we know for sure that no blood was ever detected on the clothing? From a source other than Jaryd's father or Paulides supporters, I mean. A father who has been eaten up by grief and guilt for years may not have the best understanding or recollection of such details. Would we be able to get hold of a copy of the report from the Colorado Beauteau of Investigation, or would it be confidential?

    Would bacteria, molds and insects be able to consume the blood? The sweater looks like it is make of artificial fleece material IMO so it wouldn't rot away, but perhaps and blood on the material would? And what about the affect of sunshine on the blood...

    I think that to actually come to an *informed* decision on this case, we will have to do some research Is it possible for clothing to be shredded by a Mountain Lion but not have any blood on them? And is it unusual for test on clothes sitting in a forest for several years to fail to find any blood, when in fact they did originally have blood on them.

    Body farms research this type of thing, I'll have quick look and see if they've published any papers about whether blood can be detected on clothes after several years out in the elements.

    Also, is it possible that Jaryd took his sweater off before he was attacked? How about his other clothes? I know that people suffering from hypothermia often paradoxically remove all their clothes, but would a toddler of Jaryd's age even have been able to undress by himself?
    Would a toddler of this age have 1) approached strangers and then 2) asked if this was bear country (I assume he might have rather said "are there bears here?".

    I completely remember this case and cannot believe it happened in 1999! It feels like only a few years ago. I've seen the Missing 411 idea mentioned here a few times but haven't really looked into it. What is the idea behind it? What does he suggest is happening in the wilderness? I'm off to search but I'm going to assume it is that there are people preying on unsuspecting visitors to the wilderness?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhaZhaHa View Post
    Would a toddler of this age have 1) approached strangers and then 2) asked if this was bear country (I assume he might have rather said "are there bears here?".

    I completely remember this case and cannot believe it happened in 1999! It feels like only a few years ago. I've seen the Missing 411 idea mentioned here a few times but haven't really looked into it. What is the idea behind it? What does he suggest is happening in the wilderness? I'm off to search but I'm going to assume it is that there are people preying on unsuspecting visitors to the wilderness?
    He won't say what he thinks is causing the disappearances but he implies that it must be some kind of supernatural phenomenon. He is a big Bigfoot believer (he founded the North American Bigfoot Search organisation), and also a believer in extraterrestrials. And he thinks there is a government cover-up. I don't want to get too off-topic in Jaryd's thread, but we have a thread to discuss Paulides and the Missing 411 Books here:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...National-Parks

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,244
    I find Jaryd's case very puzzling.
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt


    In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. While I am a lawyer, I am not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayemonde View Post
    He won't say what he thinks is causing the disappearances but he implies that it must be some kind of supernatural phenomenon. He is a big Bigfoot believer (he founded the North American Bigfoot Search organisation), and also a believer in extraterrestrials. And he thinks there is a government cover-up. I don't want to get too off-topic in Jaryd's thread, but we have a thread to discuss Paulides and the Missing 411 Books here:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...National-Parks
    Ohhhh. This explains the question regarding the unidentified hairs.

    And what i think happened? A terrible person took him, did XYZ, and then returned his things to the area years later when they were done marveling their work. Obviously the tooth and shoes should have been covered and damaged from weather. The sweatshirt seems to have been chewed by a dog. And I don't like thinking about the pants. A person removed the clothing though. Not an animal. I could maybe get on board with the Big Foot theory if I'm in a dreamland kind of mood, but I really think it's more viable that a really bad person living in the area saw something they wanted and took him.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. South Africa - 3 Catamaran crew, en route to Thailand, 18 Jan 2015
    By zwiebel in forum Missing Persons Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 11:47 PM
  2. Found Deceased AL - Jaryd Calloway, 29, Oxford, 19 Dec 2015
    By los2188 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 05:43 PM
  3. Whistler Peak 2 Peak BASE jump leads to woman's arrest
    By tarabull in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Tags for this Thread