Why are dogs leaping to their deaths?

Hopeful One

Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just 12 months previously, Donna, her husband and son were walking their dog across the picturesque Overtoun Bridge in Milton, near Dumbarton, Scotland.
Without warning, Ben leapt over a parapet on the century-old granite bridge and fell 50ft to his death on the rocks below.

50 dogs in the last 50 years
Other dogs have not been as fortunate. In the past half-century, some 50 dogs have leapt to their deaths from the same historic bridge.
During one six-month period last year, five dogs jumped to their deaths.
All of the deaths have occurred at virtually the same spot, between the final two parapets on the right-hand side of the bridge, and almost all have been on clear, sunny days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411038/Why-dogs-leapt-deaths-Overtoun-Bridge.html

so have other families walked their dog on a leash across that bridge and have those dogs strained at the leash toward the side or displayed any other remarkable behaviour at that spot?

my guess is some kind of wildlife there is getting them excited because I can't think of anything more sinister that's logical

either way, if I lived there, I sure wouldn't be walking my dog across that bridge and definately not unleashed

eta: never mind my first question - I read the article & the answer is yes

ok, I read to the end of the article

it's the minks - they're after the minks

Very strange. I wish the people had had their dogs on a leash so they couldn't jump.

Feedback signals from something is my guess. They would be able to smell another animal the whole length of the bridge, so they wouldn't jump at just one spot, in my opinion. I bet feedback signals that are heard by the dogs but not the humans, possibly from something as simple as a big microwave or a cell phone tower that is in just the right spot, with signals that affect or bounce off a part of the bridge.

The idea that they are chasing animals is easier to believe, but I just don't think it's the truth...Call it a gut feeling, and take it as such.

I saw this featured on some paranormal show- wierd!

So what are they going to do about it? Put up a higher fence in that area or at least post obvious warning signs? Also it sounds like some of these dogs may have been on a lead, if they suddenly jumped over the edge the drop weight of an 80 pound dog is hard to stop.

ok, I read to the end of the article

it's the minks - they're after the minks

Maybe they want to get back what the mink stole? :waitasec:

I think it's the haggis.

:silly:

It could be a sound made by the swirling winds. It seems that removing the minks from that area and seeing if the dogs still try to do it would answer the mink question. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back