Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY - New York City - NamUs UP 6326 - WhtFem, 23-33, Hit by Subway Train -Nov'98

NY - New York City - NamUs UP 6326 - WhtFem, 23-33, Hit by Subway Train -Nov'98

I had been working on a recon for this woman about a year ago, and set it aside because I couldn't get a sense of her hairstyle. I started working on it again today with my best guess of how her hair looked (described as 10" long and "thick").

NamUs UP 6326

WARNING - Postmortem photo at link:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6326

Unidentified White Female
    * Found November 09, 1998 at the Northbound E train tracks at 14th Street and 8th Avenue, New York, NY

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 23 to 33 years old
    * Height: 5 feet 0 inches (60 inches)
    * Weight: 105 lbs
    * Hair: dark, thick, 10"
    * Eyes: Brown
    * Clothing/Accessories: Tan flannel shirt, blue jeans, multicolored bag, black and blue backpack.

* Fingerprints: Available
    * Dentals: Available (#1 - unerupted, 16, 17, 32 - no information)
    * DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted

Circumstances
    Unknown female witnessed to jump in front of a northbound E train at the 14th Street and 8th Avenue Station. Taken to St Vincent's Hospital, where she became unresponsive and was pronounced.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

I looked at her postmortem and I think that her hair may have looked sort of like this.

The UID looks somewhat like Sarah Silverman, so I tried to look for photos of Ms. Silverman with the hairstyle I saw the unidentified woman with.
    Last edited by Ambercat; 05-29-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Photos are not working

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

I am trying to think back to that year. IIRC the shoulder length layered look was "in" a la Rachel and Monica in "Friends".
    I think the hair looks pretty good- 10 inches is just above the shoulder for me (I think- not sure how they measure exactly).

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

I over estimated what 10" long hair looks like. I measured and it is a little past my jaw line, but still above the shoulder on me (but I am quite a bit taller than the UID). I can't really tell if she has bangs from the postmortem, I don't think she does. Maybe her hair looked something like Selma Blair's in this photo.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

Wow, Carl! I think your recon is excellent. She has a very distinctive shape to her face and it looks like you nailed it. Ditto with her skin tone. I'm wondering if the pronounced shape to her mouth was the result of an overbite?

The hair is tricky, I see what you mean. I agree with the above poster who mentioned the "Rachel" style from friends was very popular. Many girls, like me, attempted some version of the style without much success. I have thick, wavy/curly hair and it ended up looking like a choppy mess. That's kind of how I envision the Doe - something layered and possibly ethnic or multi-ethnic that was meant to reflect the popular short and shaggy style but just never quite got there. From the postmortem it looks to me like there was definitely some shorter layers/long bangs around her forehead that probably fell just around her eyebrows or eyes on either side.

Again, awesome job Carl!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pjclover For This Useful Post:

The marks on her right cheek and across her upper lip are from tapes that were used to hold the breathing tube at the hospital. You can see the central line transparent dressing in the lower corner of the photo (her right upper chest area).

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fin For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Fin, Pjclover, and Ambercat. I fixed the right corner of her mouth (from a different photo of her that I found online).

This looks about right for how I imagine her hair looked.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

I am not familiar with NY. Are there a lot of undocumented workers there?

Are backpacks common amongst non school going people in NY?

Backpacks are fairly common in southern oregon for people that use the bus, bike or walk places. We have quite a lot of those. Whereas in central Ohio, I don't remember people using backpacks unless they were in school.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post

Backpacks are fairly common in southern oregon for people that use the bus, bike or walk places. We have quite a lot of those. Whereas in central Ohio, I don't remember people using backpacks unless they were in school.
    Yes to both of your questions. Many undocumented workers and lots of backpacks on non-students, especially commuters.

Now that you mention it, it would make a lot of sense if she was undocumented. Might explain why no one reported her missing.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bethofalltrades For This Useful Post:

I wonder what was in the bag? I think a lot of little clues can be gotten from the contents of a purse or bag. Did she have expensive makeup? A change of clothes? Was there a grocery list in a particular language?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

Sandra Santiago looks like her I think.
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/ca...=circumstances

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcoope23 For This Useful Post:

Please look at this missing woman's picture.
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/743/71/

Also more pictures of Anna Marie Scivetti at this link
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...etti_anna.html
    My prayers are with Phylicia, Kyron and
    all children who are missing!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sophclown For This Useful Post:

Anna Marie S. and Sandra Santiago (the above mentioned missing people) don't quite look the same as this doe to me. But then again, I am not that great at this. Maybe if Sandra had a better picture? Anna Marie looks like she has a stronger jaw and curlier hair. JMO

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

A distinctive feature of this Jane Doe is her high flared nostrils with the tip of the nose well above the bottoms of the alae. I don't see that with Anna Scivetti or Sandra Santiago. The tips of Anna's and Sandra's noses are below the alae.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...go_sandra.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post

I have seen many people in New York wear backpacks.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

I travel to NYC a lot and almost always take one of the trains from 14th Street. Many of the trains stop here and it is a very busy area with shopping and nearby NYU. I see many students and a fair number of young homeless people who backpack around Union Square Park. The A, C, and E trains run along 8th Ave and is a few blocks west of Union Square but they are all in the general area.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilacStar79 For This Useful Post:

Recently, I noticed Renee LaManna who went missing from Ocean City, NJ. She a little older than the age estimates for this UID and, admittedly is very different than the preconceived notions I had about the unidentified woman from seeing her photo, but I really do see a resemblance and her height and weight are very close to the UID's.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1232/22
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

According to NamUs, this unidentified woman's DNA is now in CODIS.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sophclown View Post
    Please look at this missing woman's picture.
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/743/71/

Also more pictures of Anna Marie Scivetti at this link
    IMO Anna Marie Scivetti's circumstances don't really line up with UID's suicide-by-subway 4 months later.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malaika For This Useful Post:

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    Time frame wise she is a long shot but Marilyn Cardozo Roberts somewhat resembles this Jane doe I've always thought. She's on charley and the doenetwork. Her case number is 2127dfma.
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2127dfma.html
    Oh never mind I just noticed she had tattoos and this doe doesn't.
    Last edited by Snufamonbobball; 01-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Snufamonbobball For This Useful Post:

now that they have her DNA, it is safe to say she is not any of the missing women with DNA on file at CODIS.

she does have a Jewish appearance to her (Ambercat's reference to her looking like Sarah Silverman). as opposed to the other predominant white ethnicities in the NYC area, i.e. Italians and Irish, I would say she is more likely to in fact have been Jewish.

I too would love to know what was in that backpack.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

Last night, I was looking for information about a missing person from Europe and, in the process, came across a missing persons website from the Netherlands. I found a photo of a 23 year old woman named Emily who [if I understand correctly] was homeless and living on the streets of New York and befriended an international student from the Netherlands. The student was last in touch with Emily in 1998. Unfortunately, Emily's last name is not listed.

http://www.vermist.nl/vermissingen/d...ermiste/24742/

Although the angle of the photo is in a way that you cannot see her nostrils very well, I think that Emily looks very much like the unidentified woman and her circumstances (if I understand them correctly) seem consistent with the young woman from the subway.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

Nice fine Ambercat.

This is what Google translate did with the Dutch words at your link. It is not a perfect translation.

This is her physical description:

Long black straight hair, white skin, dark eyes, petite stature.

These are the circumstances:

In 1998, then about 23-year-old Emily lives as homeless on the streets of New York. She befriends the Dutch Sander, a student at the film school. Emily who lives in begging me to Netherlands Sander but it lags behind in New York.

There is a link to download the poster and there is both a telephone number and an email address.

This is as good a potential match as we've seen. She seems to fit all the parameters.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webrocket For This Useful Post:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8820/0/
    Almost everything about this girl fits except they both have DNA listed in NamUs. Back to the drawing board I guess. But if it helps, I get a strong feeling that our UID is Latin American. MOO
    All I can do is try.

I know no one will agree with this but she looks Irish/Polish to me (the nose). I read the case and not too sure if I can help get an idea for the area in 98' or not but I'll try. first up is the information about the train line:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IND_Eighth_Avenue_Line *times are listed among other things*
    http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Statio...t_(8th_Avenue)
    She jumped around the time of fall break from school.

Chances are she was coming from Queens. Backpacks are incredibly common in large cities and in the late 90's prada spearheaded the "fashionable" backpacks, geared towards rich city people who didn't want a backpack and a purse. I had a few and basically used them as I would a handbag. I know it doesn't have the designer listed but do not rule out that she may have been using a fashion forward backpack (there is plenty o' knock off's and tons of cheaper ones).
    The film clueless put these on the map.

I bet she's on the younger end of the spectrum, possibly a student that had crumbled under strain of classes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast