NY NY - NY, 14th St & 8th Ave station, WhtFem 23-33, UP6326, hit by train, clothes, backpack, Nov'98

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had been working on a recon for this woman about a year ago, and set it aside because I couldn't get a sense of her hairstyle. I started working on it again today with my best guess of how her hair looked (described as 10" long and "thick").

NamUs UP 6326

23be08a9-e72b-4b3b-9c09-87f1f7f12b2a.jpg

WARNING - Postmortem photo at link:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6326

Unidentified White Female
* Found November 09, 1998 at the Northbound E train tracks at 14th Street and 8th Avenue, New York, NY

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 23 to 33 years old
* Height: 5 feet 0 inches (60 inches)
* Weight: 105 lbs
* Hair: dark, thick, 10"
* Eyes: Brown
* Clothing/Accessories: Tan flannel shirt, blue jeans, multicolored bag, black and blue backpack.

* Fingerprints: Available
* Dentals: Available (#1 - unerupted, 16, 17, 32 - no information)
* DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted

Circumstances
Unknown female witnessed to jump in front of a northbound E train at the 14th Street and 8th Avenue Station. Taken to St Vincent's Hospital, where she became unresponsive and was pronounced.

I looked at her postmortem and I think that her hair may have looked sort of like this.
708px-8.23.02SarahSilvermanByLuigiNovi.jpg

The UID looks somewhat like Sarah Silverman, so I tried to look for photos of Ms. Silverman with the hairstyle I saw the unidentified woman with.

I am trying to think back to that year. IIRC the shoulder length layered look was "in" a la Rachel and Monica in "Friends".
I think the hair looks pretty good- 10 inches is just above the shoulder for me (I think- not sure how they measure exactly).

I over estimated what 10" long hair looks like. I measured and it is a little past my jaw line, but still above the shoulder on me (but I am quite a bit taller than the UID). I can't really tell if she has bangs from the postmortem, I don't think she does. Maybe her hair looked something like Selma Blair's in this photo.
blair_476_ap.jpg

Wow, Carl! I think your recon is excellent. She has a very distinctive shape to her face and it looks like you nailed it. Ditto with her skin tone. I'm wondering if the pronounced shape to her mouth was the result of an overbite?

The hair is tricky, I see what you mean. I agree with the above poster who mentioned the "Rachel" style from friends was very popular. Many girls, like me, attempted some version of the style without much success. I have thick, wavy/curly hair and it ended up looking like a choppy mess. That's kind of how I envision the Doe - something layered and possibly ethnic or multi-ethnic that was meant to reflect the popular short and shaggy style but just never quite got there. From the postmortem it looks to me like there was definitely some shorter layers/long bangs around her forehead that probably fell just around her eyebrows or eyes on either side.

Again, awesome job Carl!

The marks on her right cheek and across her upper lip are from tapes that were used to hold the breathing tube at the hospital. You can see the central line transparent dressing in the lower corner of the photo (her right upper chest area).

Thanks, Fin, Pjclover, and Ambercat. I fixed the right corner of her mouth (from a different photo of her that I found online).

This looks about right for how I imagine her hair looked.

I am not familiar with NY. Are there a lot of undocumented workers there?

Are backpacks common amongst non school going people in NY?

Backpacks are fairly common in southern oregon for people that use the bus, bike or walk places. We have quite a lot of those. Whereas in central Ohio, I don't remember people using backpacks unless they were in school.

Backpacks are fairly common in southern oregon for people that use the bus, bike or walk places. We have quite a lot of those. Whereas in central Ohio, I don't remember people using backpacks unless they were in school.

Yes to both of your questions. Many undocumented workers and lots of backpacks on non-students, especially commuters.

Now that you mention it, it would make a lot of sense if she was undocumented. Might explain why no one reported her missing. :(

I wonder what was in the bag? I think a lot of little clues can be gotten from the contents of a purse or bag. Did she have expensive makeup? A change of clothes? Was there a grocery list in a particular language?

Anna Marie S. and Sandra Santiago (the above mentioned missing people) don't quite look the same as this doe to me. But then again, I am not that great at this. Maybe if Sandra had a better picture? Anna Marie looks like she has a stronger jaw and curlier hair. JMO

I have seen many people in New York wear backpacks.

I travel to NYC a lot and almost always take one of the trains from 14th Street. Many of the trains stop here and it is a very busy area with shopping and nearby NYU. I see many students and a fair number of young homeless people who backpack around Union Square Park. The A, C, and E trains run along 8th Ave and is a few blocks west of Union Square but they are all in the general area.

Recently, I noticed Renee LaManna who went missing from Ocean City, NJ. She a little older than the age estimates for this UID and, admittedly is very different than the preconceived notions I had about the unidentified woman from seeing her photo, but I really do see a resemblance and her height and weight are very close to the UID's.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1232/22

Time frame wise she is a long shot but Marilyn Cardozo Roberts somewhat resembles this Jane doe I've always thought. She's on charley and the doenetwork. Her case number is 2127dfma.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2127dfma.html
Oh never mind I just noticed she had tattoos and this doe doesn't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back