Michaela "Mickey" Shunick
Missing from Lafayette LA -- 19 May 2012
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173300"]Thread #2 [/ame]
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173629"]Thread #4 [/ame]
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173744"]Thread #5 [/ame]
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173784"]Thread #6 [/ame]
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173879"]Thread #8 [/ame]
• [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173725"]Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY *[/ame]
• KATC Twitter feed
• Website: Find Mickey Now
• Lafayette Police Department updates
• Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now
• When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.
• Please do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.
• Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.
(And much thanks to queenofcorona, who started the original thread!)
- I hung out with my friend who works in Baton Rouge law enforcement today and he had not heard about Mickey. He isn't a patrolman (he does crime scene unit) but I still thought that was weird. I was very bothered by it. He wouldn't know, for example, to be on the look out for the car or Mickey (he is now- I told him all about it). I know her flyers are up in BR and on BR news (my friend doesn't have TV), so I was shocked anyone wouldn't know, let alone someone who works in LE. He was also surprised that I seemed surprised that he didn't know.
- I didn't see the LPD press conference, but I was bothered by what I saw in the wonderful WSer's transcription. When he was asked if this was connected to the runaway girl, he said they hadn't been in contact with that agency and something like he wasn't familar with that case. I was pretty sure the reporter was referring to the missing girl(s) from the last few months missing from Lafayette who are considered "runaways" by LPD a WSer posted about this in one of the earlier forums. How did he not know what the reporter was refering to! I know and I don't work in LE or at LPD!!!
I am hoping they are thisclose to finding Mickey and nabbing a suspect and are doing these things that give me question (not more positively IDing the possible make and models of the car, the make-up brush incident a WSer posted about earlier in this thread, calling off the search, etc) because they are holding a lot close to the vest that will help find her & the perp, but these two things I posted above have me worried!
How many cases have we followed where you think during week 2 or 3, "LE has more they aren't telling us, this case will be solved so soon" and then it ends up being many months and/or years later (Haleigh Cummings, Morgan Harrington, Holly Bobo, Adji, Lauren Spierer, etc) and we still have NO real answers, arrests, or charges?! I hope this case doesn't end up that way! I am hoping LE is doing what they are doing for a reason and will find Mickey and the perp (and soon). Bring Mickey home and bring the perp to Justice!
and here we are , thread #11 , and I so wish I had something to contribute but I do have my prayerful thoughts for Mickey and her family.
where are you , Mickey?
So many people here are trying so hard to find you, help you.
Okay, here's the videos that we took earlier, all five of them.
The last part you guys will have to excuse. There was some discrepancy on which way one of the white trucks had gone to be pictured in front of the cemetery on University. I included it, though, because it'll show you how fast the Olds was likely moving when it was photographed.
"My courageous child faced down a monster. Now I think I can face monsters too. And so can you." ~Nancy Anne Rowe, mother of Mickey Shunick
'Ailina, 5CentsWorth, Agent_99, angelainwi, Backwoods, Betty P, Boytwnmom, Bravo, Cajun Girl, charminglane, Dee10, Eskimo, GateKeeper, GobBluth, goldiegirl, heartfortruth, Hopeful One, ingra1327, JustyThoughts, katydid23, liltexans, mamamia54, megmono, monkey222, mysticskye, Nandee63, OldOrleans, parker38, pjcitizen, PlainJaneDoe, shergal, slowlybutshelly, StormyNights, taagean, trigger, waltzingmatilda, wfgodot, Woe.be.gone
However, I was quite shocked to see an arrest in the Sierra LaMar case. Perhaps LE does know what they are doing here and do in fact have a perp. LE was very quiet in Sierra's case and then, wham, an arrest.
Hi, I have been lurking here reading and taking in the great tips and information that all of you have suggested. I have read through most of the posts...although I might have missed this, but if Mickey was hit from behind by a vehicle and her bike did fall and slid, would there not be paint loss on the road as well as the bike? Also, if Mickey herself did fall off her bike from the accident, wouldn't there be skin scrape evidence on the road? I know that when I fell off my bike on the sidewalk, I def. left some skin there. I wonder if that is a deciding factor on if an accident actually occurred, or if the bike was damaged elsewhere! Just some thoughts I had .
I have been following this website/thread since Mickey went missing and finally have decided to post some of my thoughts. These threads have been so interesting and I hope one of your thoughts turns out to helping bring Mickey home.
1) My boyfriend and I biked the exact area on St. Landry during the night last week so we could get a feel. We started at daylight searching that area and found NOTHING no disturbances what so ever. I also work on St. Landry street, so if anybody has any questions regarding that area I can possibly help you out there. b) I have been searching from day one, in the heat and I wouldn't change it for a thing because I want Mickey to come home. Today, when I took off of work early to volunteer I was distraught to find out that all volunteers were turned away. I was told that her father was taken out in a helicopter today around 1pm and had not returned and this was around 5pm. This could be a rumor but I was told this at the search headquarters. I have a very very bad feeling in my gut that we will receive some news tomorrow, and I've had such a positive energy/feeling this whole time. c) I read a few threads ago that there was a foul smell in the St. Landry street area....I smelt this also but did come across a few dead animals which could have contributed to the smell. D) Lourdes abandoned hospital is VERY creepy during the night. I have a strange strange feeling about this place also...It's weird to me that there would be random lights on in the hallways with junk all over and a random chair in the middle of the hallway. While we were bike riding we headed out around the hospital. I get the chills just thinking about it. Anyways I can answer any questions I had some good thoughts but they went away as soon as I started typing. If they come back I'll be sure to respond. Bring Mickey home!
'Ailina, 4Jayhawks, 5CentsWorth, all4justice, angelainwi, Backwoods, Billiam, Boytwnmom, Bree0372, brighidin, Cajun Girl, carole, Cazzie, charminglane, Cortne, curiousc, Dee10, Dum-Dum Sucker, Elisaa444, Eskimo, Fashionista_Gal, Foxymona, GobBluth, hollyblue, Hopeful One, Isabelle, Jan, Janeumayer, JenMom, Juno, katydid23, lightlady, liltexans, mahmoo, makjang, mamamia54, Mgorules, mimi56, MLE, monkey222, montana_16, mrsu, mysticskye, Nandee63, nosyparker, nursebeeme, oddball62983, pjcitizen, PlainJaneDoe, PMLsmom, Portabella, princesspjs, radiator, shefner, taagean, trigger, Tyra1003, Unscripted, waltzingmatilda, wfgodot, Woe.be.gone, Yoda
Keeping up around here is next to impossible. So happy to see so many folks here at WS, both new and old.
LE believes the bike was in the water since the morning of Mickey's disappearance. Information says to me:
Abduction by someone who knew the area (from BR or surrounding area)
Intentional abduction (not an accident)
Abduction by sexual predator (perhaps had run-ins with the law before, if not for sex crimes then other petty things? He knew to cut off Mickey's phone and he knew to separate handle bars from bike and he separated evidence from Mickey and himself)
Predator didn't know Mickey (abduction by opportunity, trolling)
Cameras from the area tell the tale. (The white truck wasted no time in turning around and heading back in the direction from which he just came~grab and take~get out of the area)
Could there be more than one predator involved in this abduction? Seems likely to me.
Welcome to WebSleuths, cajunbaby512 and PFEF1022.
Just my opinion, of course.
there has to be footage of the vehicle that dumped the bike on I10. if not before the whiskey bay exit, for sure afterwards. surely they have looked at the traffic cameras of the mississippi river bridge. unless they dumped the bike then headed back West rather than East. still though, SOMEWHERE along I10, whether breaux bridge, butte la rose, grosse tette, port allen, or baton rouge, there HAS to be footage of one of those vehicles of interest. if it's not the shady car or one of the 2 trucks, then they run the plates of all the cars that they see on I10 around 230am etc.
hopefully they will get prints from her bike.
like someone just mentioned, i too find it hard to believe that she was hit accidentally then taken out of fear of going to jail for hitting her. if this were the case, there would be blood or SOMETHING on the road and/or someone would have seen or heard something. bikes are delicate. i know from repairing my son's a million times. the rear may have been damaged just by being thrown in the trunk hurriedly etc.
the alone picture of her IS on versailles!!! i posted the area showing where it is a few pages back. a friend of mine owns a house right next to that intersection, so ive seen it hundreds of times. even had to call the firedept because of a burning xmas tree in front of the apartments that would be on mickeys right in the picture.
/rant. sorry for the frustrated comment. ive just seen that area so many times that i can assure you that its versailles.
i also want to add that there are NO cameras on the stoplight at st.mary and st. landry. someone mentioned it in the last thread but it was closed before i got there to quote the post.
i have a question. earlier today someone wrote about a serial killer from the past that worked at DOW chemical plant in Addis, LA (the port allen exit then south off the mississippi river bridge) I've never heard of this killer. when was that? i only recall DTL
Like I said in the other thread, it saddens me to see a still shot of Mickey riding her bike innocently home and someone doing this to her.
There are some sick people out there and this one definitely needs to be brought to justice!
Again, I blink and we are on a new thread so forgive me if this was mentioned as a possibility. I have no idea the size of the cab, nor of her bike, but could the back wheel have been bent from someone slamming the cab door on it, especially to keep it lower so it's unseen or under a shell?
It's only my opinion. But sometimes the truth hurts.
cajunbaby, they've searched the hospital, right? btw, how long has that hospital been vacant? what are their plans for it?
Perceived Hypothesis, is another factor that influences many investigations negatively. This is why the Adam Walsh case wasn't solved for over 25 years..
Dr Egger has authored four books and numerous professional papers. He coined the terms “less-dead” and “linkage blindness” to distinguish and define key concepts associated with serial rape and homicide.
PFEF...I'd definitely think there would be some evidence on the road. Now, obtaining it would be another matter entirely.
Has LE searched for evidence like that in the immediate area? Would the heat destroy it? I think it rained for a day or two shortly afterward; would that affect it?
I don't know the answers here. Just questions rattling around in my mind.
'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator
cajunbaby512...Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's unimaginable to me that the Shunick family is dealing with yet another hardship.
When you wrote "helicopter," did you mean he was airlifted out by a medical transport? Or was he in a search helicopter?
'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator