1119 users online (240 members and 879 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: After watching the history channel mini series I put most of the blame on...

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Hatfield family

10 17.86%
  • The McCoy family

3 5.36%
  • West Virginia and Kentucky for not having emu marshalls to mediate the thing.

9 16.07%
  • both sides were equally wrong and each side had someone willing to instigate and push things when it looked like it could/would calm down

25 44.64%
  • Tired of being ripped off by cable so didn't see it

5 8.93%
  • Saved it on DVR but haven't watched it yet

4 7.14%

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Hatfield's and McCoys - History Channel

Did anyone watch the three part miniseries? If you didn't you can watch them here; http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys

Both families went beserk, but I put most of the blame on Jim Vance if the miniseries is accurate. (It makes no claims to be.) If Vance hadn't killed one of the McCoys the whole thing probably never would have happened. JMO

It's just amazing how far crime fighting and civility have come. Things seem bad now but small town or frontier justice just let this go on.

I think Anse Hatfield and Ranadall McCoy don't come off as psychotic men for the most part at the beginning of the mini series, but it's amazing how miscarriages of justice, a covered up killing, and a lot of other crap just got so out of control. I really think if Jim Vance had died before the civil war ended this whole thing never would have happened. JMO

If the mini series was holding true to history, and I'll be the first to admit, I really didn't know anything about this feud other than believing it was over the McCoy daughter. But I believe it all started with Hatfield deserting during the war, and McCoy being the only survivor of that unit and being a POW in Ohio. The guilt of the Hatfield and the emotions of the McCoy is what I believe started everything snowballing.

IMHO of course
    God is Great Beer is Good And People are Crazy

And that darn pig wanderin' off like that. Too bad he got 'et up before he could find his way back home.

I gotta say....if it were me, back in those days, I would have a hard time returning bacon, ham, and pork skins that landed on my doorstep, lol.
    "In the end, everything will be made known. Everything will come out. And in the meantime, smile and say "cheese." - Jodi Arias

I LOVED this mini-series!! I too was curious about the accuracy of the film and did a little reading up on the subject. As it turns out, the film was surprisingly accurate, lol. From what I read however, the bit about Randall McCoy being the sole survivor of his military unit and then taken into Union custody, was pretty much dramatic license. It has been speculated that McCoy also deserted.
    From what I could determine, no one really knows what started the famous fued. Most believe that it was a combination of events, including the lawsuit between Devil Anse and Perry Cline, the ridiculous "stolen pig" debacle, and the ill fated romance between Roseanna McCoy and Johnse Hatfield.
    I'm certainly no historian and the articles that I've read may be just as fictional as the mini-series. On a side note however, I totally agree with Steely Dan! Jim Vance was my least favorite character, and I just couldn't help thinking that if he hadn't been around in the first place, the fued may never have gotten off the ground at all. JMHO as always....

it seemed to me that both sides had someone on it that would be behind the leaders egging them on and stirring the pot. that lawyer (Perry Kline) and that one uncle (Jim Vance) who was finally killed who liked to kill anything and everything. plus the egos and stubborness of both patriarchs didn't help any either.
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

I couldnt help but think that Jena Malone (played Nancy McCoy) would make a perfect Casey A. (didn't she look like this at trial????)
    Attached Images Attached Images

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Some channel already did a program about this feud so why are we revisiting it when there were far bigger feuds that occurred? The only reason we have heard of it is because it was it was interstate rather than intrastate.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    I couldnt help but think that Jena Malone (played Nancy McCoy) would make a perfect Casey A. (didn't she look like this at trial????)
    I want you to write a letter of apology to that actress and then stand in the corner for two hours until you realize the seriousness of what you've done.

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    Some channel already did a program about this feud so why are we revisiting it when there were far bigger feuds that occurred? The only reason we have heard of it is because it was it was interstate rather than intrastate.
    The Hatfield and McCoy fight is probably the most famous of family feuds in U.S. history. It's even part of the vernacular. Fighting like Hatfields and McCoys is almost as recognizable as fighting like cats and dogs. JMO

BTW, the history Channels movie was really good. Fortunately they have them on the internet because for some reason my DVR didn't record the third part.

Quote Originally Posted by athy View Post
    it seemed to me that both sides had someone on it that would be behind the leaders egging them on and stirring the pot. that lawyer (Perry Kline) and that one uncle (Jim Vance) who was finally killed who liked to kill anything and everything. plus the egos and stubborness of both patriarchs didn't help any either.
    I agree with that too.

Here's a web page about the Hatfields and McCoys.

http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/314

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    No doubt this is the most famous feud but about 3 times more people were killled in the Sutton-Taylor Feud and nearly 4 times as many were slain in the Lee-Peacock Feud.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Here's a timeline that disputes some of the stuff in the HC account of the feud; http://www.matewan.com/History/timeline.htm Devil Anse doesn't sound as good as they made him sound in the mini series. JMO

Here's more; http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/exhibits/active

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Hubby and I have seen parts 1 and 2 and will have to wait until it's reran again to watch part 3, so didn't vote. However, this has been the best show on TV in such a long time. I hope we see more of the same in the future on the History channel.
    Yes, Steely things were so different then concerning the law and the way things were handled.
    In the Juryroom down stairs is a thread of cold case's 20 years or older and I read the whole thread in several weeks and the most fasinating to me are the one's from the 1800's and early 1900's. STANDREID chooses the case's and Belinda does the recaps. Belinda also has spread sheets to the case's (which I haven't checked out yet but want to as I'd like to reread the old ones). It's a fasntistic thread, you may be interested to read it.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

The History Channel is re-running all three episodes between 6pm and 12pm EST on Saturday. If you don't want to watch it all at once then tape them. It's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    Hubby and I have seen parts 1 and 2 and will have to wait until it's reran again to watch part 3, so didn't vote. However, this has been the best show on TV in such a long time. I hope we see more of the same in the future on the History channel.
    Yes, Steely things were so different then concerning the law and the way things were handled.
    In the Juryroom down stairs is a thread of cold case's 20 years or older and I read the whole thread in several weeks and the most fasinating to me are the one's from the 1800's and early 1900's.
    Do what I did and watch part 3 online. I've got part 3 set up to record on Saturday. I've kept the other two parts and will watch one and two again, probably tonight and then part 3 again after I record it on Saturday.

I think this is the best made for TV movie I've seen. Mare Winningham is the best actor in the whole thing, IMO, but she doesn't get the billing she deserved. JMO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast