1001 users online (124 members and 877 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

WA - Daughter Stabs Sleeping Mother In The Neck And Flees

My heart breaks for this entire family.

Ruth Duaard and her husband Dallas were stricken with fear. However, their DD was being released from prison and as her parents believed they had to give her a chance.

Melissa was released right in times for Mother's Day. She had gone from a bright honor student back in school to turning literally almost overnight into a terror. Three years ago she attacked her Uncle with a knife racking up her sixth felony since she turned 20. In the Corrections facility she brutally attacked a guard. Locked up she spent most of her time in the hole and at some point just decided to stay there. No books, magazines, radio or TV. Nada.

The Duaard's even MOVED because they thought a new neighborhood would keep their DD from bad influences. She had smoked meth back in school. On the night of May 20th she plunged a knife into her sleeping mother's kneck. It missed her spinal cord by inches, and scraped her trachea as well as other injuries.

http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/

Much more at link with the girls Mugshot. The Doctor's have no idea how Ruth survived. Her husband is furious. Ruth said she never wants to see her DD again. Melissa was found barefoot, wet, and hiding in an abandoned house when caught.

I don't blame the parents based on her prior history they still did what loving parents do and tried helping her, I'd be done with her too. Hopefully she doesn't get out for a long time so the parents can have the peace and security they deserve.

Wow, this whole corrections department sounD's like a big fail from start to finish.

They said that the daughter would receive mental health treatment while in prison, but instead she spent most of her time in solitary? I nderstand if someone is a risk to others, but you can't tell me that solitary wouldn't exacerbate the mental state of someone who had previously been diagnosed with bipolar, and has a past history of meth use. So not only no treatment, but they likely made her condition worse.

Then no follow up as was promised after her release?!

I do think this attack could have been avoided. I understand that no one wants be seen as "coddling" criminals... But mental illness is REAL, and leaving it untreated, and certainly keeping a prisoner in conditions that would worsen it, isn't helpful to either the prisoner OR society. Because someday that person will be released, and then... Well, this happens.

Poor parents - they realized she needed help they couldn't give her, and now they feel, understandably, that they just have to give her up altogether because of what she's done. What a loss for all of them.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

The daughter looks pretty proud of herself in that mug shot.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

I don't blame the parents for wanting nothing to do with her ever again. I understand mental illness, but there are times when it's just best to let go. I knew a mother who had to do that to her mentally ill son after so many failed attempts to get him help. The state gave her little help when he was a juvenile and no help once he turned 18. Once he turned 18 there really was nothing else she could do and she had smaller children to think about so she kicked him out and cut off all ties with him. He ended up murdering two people when he was 20-years-old. One was just a 17-year-old girl. Thrill killings. I blame the State because they should have helped the mother more. They basically said it was her problem and left her to deal with him until she could no longer do it. She and the younger children were in constant danger and she had to make a decision. Her decision was to save herself and her two children. Two people lost their lives because the State wouldn't intervene when she wanted them to.

It's sad, but what can you do? What can these parents do? Nothing! She's a lost cause. She's going to end up murdering someone eventually and there will be no one to blame but the State. She should never again be allowed out into society, but they will release her without any care and she will murder someone and spend the rest of her life in prison. She shouldn't even be allowed back out in order to murder and innocent person, but she will be released eventually. An endless cycle.

MOO
    Justice for Trayvon

Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I don't blame the parents for wanting nothing to do with her ever again. I understand mental illness, but there are times when it's just best to let go. I knew a mother who had to do that to her mentally ill son after so many failed attempts to get him help. The state gave her little help when he was a juvenile and no help once he turned 18. Once he turned 18 there really was nothing else she could do and she had smaller children to think about so she kicked him out and cut off all ties with him. He ended up murdering two people when he was 20-years-old. One was just a 17-year-old girl. Thrill killings. I blame the State because they should have helped the mother more. They basically said it was her problem and left her to deal with him until she could no longer do it. She and the younger children were in constant danger and she had to make a decision. Her decision was to save herself and her two children. Two people lost their lives because the State wouldn't intervene when she wanted them to.

It's sad, but what can you do? What can these parents do? Nothing! She's a lost cause. She's going to end up murdering someone eventually and there will be no one to blame but the State. She should never again be allowed out into society, but they will release her without any care and she will murder someone and spend the rest of her life in prison. She shouldn't even be allowed back out in order to murder and innocent person, but she will be released eventually. An endless cycle.

MOO

There for the grace of God go I. That has to be unimaginable for those poor people. No matter who I am sure if someone almost murders you in your sleep you couldn't have anything to do with them. I never want to know.

Lola I am sorry for your friend. Life is tough enough without going through such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    The daughter looks pretty proud of herself in that mug shot.
    That's a look, right? I'll tell ya what.........I would not tangle with her. No way. I guess she needs to keep that attitude in lockup.