Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Nancy Twyman Jenkins was supposed to babysit her granddaughter on Thursday afternoon, but she never showed up at her daughter’s home in Alamance County. “When I talked to her the night before, I told her that I was going to call and tell her what time to be here,” said her daughter Jami Jenkins.

Jami Jenkins called her mother at about 11 a.m. Thursday, but she didn’t get her. She left a message but never heard back. By 9 Thursday night, 57-year-old Nancy Jenkins, who moved to Guilford County about a month ago, was reported missing to the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office.

Nancy Jenkins’ boyfriend and roommate last saw her at 5:20 a.m. Thursday.
    “He was leaving for work, and she was still at the house,” Jami Jenkins said. At the time, Jenkins was wearing a black shirt and blue jeans.

A neighbor told authorities that Nancy Jenkins was seen putting a box in a blue car at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday. Jami Jenkins doesn’t know if the information is reliable. Nancy Jenkins left her truck, phone, keys and purse behind, according to a Guilford County Sheriff’s Office news release.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles...ddaughter.html
    Last edited by Knox; 06-04-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Nancy Jenkins has never disappeared before. However, Jami Jenkins said that her mother has recently been struggling with her late husband’s death. Charles Jenkins died in a motorcycle wreck on Oct. 31, 2008 on N.C. 87, about a mile south of Graham. That might be linked to her disappearance.

“It was bothering her,” Jami Jenkins said. “I’m hoping she needed to get away to get herself together. … I just don’t know.”

It’s still not like Nancy Jenkins to not show up to care for her 17-month-old granddaughter.

“It’s odd. She’s always here to watch my daughter when she’s supposed to be. She might be a few minutes late but she always shows up,” Jami Jenkins said. “My daughter is what kept her going. … My mama thinks the world of her, and my daughter thinks the world of my mama.”
    http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles...ddaughter.html
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

I find it odd that she was living with a boyfriend....but really suffering over the loss of her husband to a motorcycle accident about 4 years ago. The article link also mentions that she has only lived in Guilford County for about a month.

Wondered where she lived before...and how long she has had this boyfriend?

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

Hmmm. Now, like shefner, I'm wondering about Nancy being dressed at 5:20 Thursday morning. Being up at that time doesn't seem that out of the ordinary (unless it was me!) but being up and dressed when she didn't have to leave that early? That part seems odd to me. I didn't think about "bf" being boyfriend when I posted it earlier -- I was thinking of best friend. I'd like to know more about this boyfriend, too.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shefner View Post
    I find it odd that she was living with a boyfriend....but really suffering over the loss of her husband to a motorcycle accident about 4 years ago. The article link also mentions that she has only lived in Guilford County for about a month.

When her husband died she lived in Mebane, about 45 minutes from Browns Summit.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:

I can't believe that a woman would take off just to get away without her purse and cell phone and some makeup and clothes. Also, I wouldn't leave my car behind unless I was going with someone I trusted completely. The only way I can see a woman leaving like that is if she was trying to get away quickly from some kind of abuse or threat. And if she went somewhere willingly, I find it hard to believe she wouldn't call her daughter and tell her that she couldn't babysit after all. I'd like to know more about her boyfriend and her relationship to him and how long they have been together, also where he was all day and evening that day. Is he worried about her and looking for her, or is just her daughter missing her? Also, I'm wondering if she was suicidal? How safe is the area she lives in? Is there much crime? Did she owe anyone a lot of money? She didn't look like someone who would be on drugs. I just hope she is OK.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:

I contacted Nancy's daughter through a FB message. I hope this is ok. I just let her know we are over here and very concerned for her mom. I invited her to join us here if she would like to do so.

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Considering View Post
    Turner-Smith Rd in Guilford County looks fairly rural to me. I'm sure there is no public transportation there, but I don't know about taxi service. The population of Browns Summit is around 8000. The closest towns of any size are Reidsville to the north or Greensboro to the south, both about 20 minutes away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs...ed=0CAgQ8gEwAA

I don't know what to think about this case. I feel uneasy about what she didn't take with her and about the fact that she was supposed to keep her granddaughter that Thursday but never contacted her daughter. The daughter, Jami, writes on FB that she knows her father has been on her mother's mind a lot lately so maybe that's why he is mentioned on the missing poster. Whether there is foul play or not, I'm concerned about Nancy's well-being. Something just feels wrong about it. Why wouldn't she take her purse and phone with her?

This just appeared on the Guilford County Sheriff's site yesterday (at least I couldn't find it when I looked before that) asking for the public's assistance in finding Nancy. Since it is still there, I assume they are still seeking help.

http://www.guilfordcountysheriff.com...ews&Itemid=332

Also, her daughter posted on FB last night that the detective said they are still searching for Nancy and looking for any information and leads they can get.
    Her granddaughter is probably the little girl in the photos with Nancy? Obviously a lot of love there.

And that, for me, tips the balance between respecting Nancy's privacy and trying to find her to offer her assistance if needed. It's just hard for me to believe that Nancy would just take off in a normal state of mind and drop her commitment to see that darling grandbaby.

Like you, I'm not convinced yet that there is foul play involved. Usually that would be the top of my list but for some reason, I keep wondering if she left in some sort of mental distress and may be amnesiac or in a fugue state.

If LE hasn't called each of the local cab companies, I think it should be done. She had to have some way of leaving her house.

And (oh I hate to type this) if her daughter can organise a volunteer foot search around her mother's house, that would also be a good thing.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shefner View Post

Having a new love while still grieving over her husband doesn't seem so strange to me. Any more than deciding to have another child after losing the first child in an accident or to natural causes. Some people want to keep the status quo for longer than others; it's just an individual thing.

It does concern me that she had only lived in Guilford County for a month. A move is a major stressor, stressful enough that it temporarily raises a person's risk of being in a car accident or becoming ill for something like six months after the move.

I really hope her daughter can pull together a volunteer foot search around Nancy's residence. Just to see if there is anything to be found, like something Nancy may have dropped.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    I can't believe that a woman would take off just to get away without her purse and cell phone and some makeup and clothes. Also, I wouldn't leave my car behind unless I was going with someone I trusted completely. The only way I can see a woman leaving like that is if she was trying to get away quickly from some kind of abuse or threat. And if she went somewhere willingly, I find it hard to believe she wouldn't call her daughter and tell her that she couldn't babysit after all. I'd like to know more about her boyfriend and her relationship to him and how long they have been together, also where he was all day and evening that day. Is he worried about her and looking for her, or is just her daughter missing her? Also, I'm wondering if she was suicidal? How safe is the area she lives in? Is there much crime? Did she owe anyone a lot of money? She didn't look like someone who would be on drugs. I just hope she is OK.
    Or, if she's been going through a grief wave lately, she may have simply gone for a walk as a means of using exercise to elevate her mood (very common advice to those who are grieving the death of a loved one).

I remember a woman who was grieving, went for a walk and then just kept walking. For several days. She hadn't forgotten who she was and she knew what she was doing but she just lost it emotionally. She told me "I couldn't think of a reason to go home without X."

So she just walked and whenever she got tired, she found a place to sit or lie down. Her family and friends were freaking out but she didn't realise that since she wasn't listening to the radio or watching TV (this was before the internet).

She was found by a stranger sitting on a park bench only semi-coherent due to dehydration. This person realised she needed help and called an ambulance for her instead of just writing her off as another crazy homeless person.

I do believe she was being honest when she told me she hadn't intended to worry anyone or cause any trouble, that she was just wrapped up in her bubble of grief for those days. I think she was mentally impaired, even though she said she never forgot who she was and always knew what she was doing. I don't think she fully realised all the implications of just walking out the door one day and not coming back.

I never thought I would hear about anything like that ever again... but now I'm wondering.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:

I understand what you guys are saying about Nancy grieving. However, one would expect the complete cycle of the stages of grief to be completed after 4 years. This doesn't mean that Nancy wouldn't experience days of sadness or loneliness. But the intense grief suffered in the first weeks and months usually give way to acceptance. In addition, its common to see people move on from grief to reach out to others for friendship and companionship...even love. I would think nothing of someone starting to date after a number of months or years. However, if Nancy loved a boyfriend enough to live with him (did she move for him?), then the fact she was facing some worrisome episodes of grief seems a bit odd. Perhaps she was experiencing guilt for finding someone new?

Even so, I would like to know more about why Nancy moved. I would also like to learn more about the boyfriend and their relationship.

In addition, when the neighbor mentioned the blue car, if Nancy had only lived in the new location for about a month, I wonder if she had made any good friends in the area? A month is not a long time....so who was in the blue car?

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

You almost have to assume that she wasn't planning to leave for any significant length of time. Otherwise, she likely would have taken a few more items with her. Especially her phone. If she had just moved into this home, perhaps she didn't have many belongings. Perhaps she could have packed up most of her stuff in a few boxes and stuffed them into a trunk. It sounds like she did a lot of babysitting. Perhaps she was feeling like she was being taken for granted and decided to take an unannounced vacation. I'm thinking of my own mom with that thought. Frankly, I'd like to know a lot more about this neighbor. This is the last person who saw her.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HeinekenMan For This Useful Post:

The daughter now has a link on her FB page where anyone can download her mother's missing flyer. She also states there that a detective came to pick up her mother's phone yesterday and that he also wanted to go back and look around her house again.

Project Jason lists several interesting things about this case but I'm not familiar with them and don't know where they got their information.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:

I have been a friend of Nancy's for many years and I am extremely concerned. She was devastated when her husband died, but her granddaughter is the joy in her life. I just don't believe she would leave her or her daughter for any reason whatsoever willingly. She always has her husband on her mind and misses him terribly but she went to hell and back to make it thru the horrendous grief and sadness of his death and made it back to her family & friends because of her precious grandchild. The blue car/neighbor thing bothers me because why would she put a box in someone else's car and not in her own truck? Who does the blue car belong to? The description of what she was wearing had to have come from this neighbor because I doubt she was wearing jeans at 5:20am. The neighbor said they saw her at 10:30am and I assume that was the last time anyone saw her because her daughter called her at 11am and didn't reach her. i did a sex offender search in that neighborhood and there were 2 convicted rapists within a 5 mile radius registered, in addition to a few other minor offenders. She is a much more attractive woman than her pictures show but would fight if someone tried to forcefully take her. However, she wouldn't hesitate to help anyone she thought was in trouble. I am not getting a good feeling about Nancy being missing...she wouldn't just walk away without a phone, her ID or a credit card. Nor would she worry her daughter like this for no reason, especially after what they have been thru since Chuck (husband/father) was killed in that horrible head on collision in 2008. Something just isn't right about this situation.

Do you know her bf/roommate and what he thinks about Nancy being gone? Does Nancy have any family besides her daughter and granddaughter?

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast