Page 1 of 76 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1133
  1. #1

    NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #9

    Please continue here.


    http://www.411gina.org/mauramurray.htm

    21-year-old Maura Murray disappeared on Monday, February 9, 2004 following a minor 1-car accident on Route 112 near Woodsville, New Hampshire.

    Previous threads:

    #1

    #2

    #3

    #4

    #5

    #6

    #7

    #8



    Other links:

    Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murray_maura.html

    Maura Murray Missing - http://www.mauramurraymissing.com/

    Nancy Grace America's Missing - http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/2011...ricas-missing/
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: repair url tags.


  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,636
    Still following Maura's case. I will always be wondering what happened to her.


  4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,239
    Also still here for Maura, but mostly just lurk the thread. I am in Amherst/Granby/Hadley etc a great deal, and we hike the white mts quite often, so she is on my mind a lot. I also grew up very close to Hanson... So I feel a great affinity for this dear girl.

    Hoping for answers for her loved ones soon.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero


  6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    909
    other thoughts on the vasi hit and run angle:


    In his statement, fred noted that he brought around 4,000 in cash with him for when he and Maura went looking for USED cars that Saturday.

    4,000 is a pretty hefty down payment even for a new car, yet alone a used car, so I really wonder if they were just planning on starting the car purchasing process that day or if they were in fact really wanting to land something that day.

    Also, wouldn't they be trading in maura's old car?

    Fred picked maura up in his new car and they went looking for used cars for Maura. Surely, they weren't keeping the saturn as a momento. I know each time I have gone to get a new car, I trade the one in that I am driving, therefore I bring it with me when I am car shopping.

    For the record. According to the five-part series done by Maribeth Conway on the maura murray case. Maura and her father had a three year old geo prizm picked out that according to Fred, they were going to buy the following week.


  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scoops For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,312
    This is one case where I think almost all of the options/scenarios as to what may have happened are equally viable. Abduction, or suicide seem the most likely with walking off and being over come by the elements or fleeing to start a new life being slightly less likely in my opinion. I go back and forth between abduction and suicide. So baffling.


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NocturnalLady For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    10,497
    Quote Originally Posted by scoops View Post
    other thoughts on the vasi hit and run angle:


    In his statement, fred noted that he brought around 4,000 in cash with him for when he and Maura went looking for USED cars that Saturday.

    4,000 is a pretty hefty down payment even for a new car, yet alone a used car, so I really wonder if they were just planning on starting the car purchasing process that day or if they were in fact really wanting to land something that day.

    Also, wouldn't they be trading in maura's old car?

    Fred picked maura up in his new car and they went looking for used cars for Maura. Surely, they weren't keeping the saturn as a momento. I know each time I have gone to get a new car, I trade the one in that I am driving, therefore I bring it with me when I am car shopping.

    For the record. According to the five-part series done by Maribeth Conway on the maura murray case. Maura and her father had a three year old geo prizm picked out that according to Fred, they were going to buy the following week.
    Since the Saturn had major issues, it is not neccessary to bring it with you on a car hunt. After they find a car to buy, then they haggle later with the final sale with a trade in. The Saturn probably wasn't going to make a big dent in the sale price. The dealership will have it auctioned for parts. You can't just drive a car off the lot the first day you look at it anyway, because you need to get insurance, the registration, and it has to have an inspection sticker. Usually, it takes a week to get all the details together for the final sale. At any rate, maybe Fred had different plans for the Saturn other than a trade in. JMO


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpy View Post
    Since the Saturn had major issues, it is not neccessary to bring it with you on a car hunt. After they find a car to buy, then they haggle later with the final sale with a trade in. The Saturn probably wasn't going to make a big dent in the sale price. The dealership will have it auctioned for parts. You can't just drive a car off the lot the first day you look at it anyway, because you need to get insurance, the registration, and it has to have an inspection sticker. Usually, it takes a week to get all the details together for the final sale. At any rate, maybe Fred had different plans for the Saturn other than a trade in. JMO
    I agree with all that you said except the last bit. You can buy a car and drive it off the lot in the same day. Been there and done it plenty of times. Salesmen work hard to make it happen.....


  14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southside of Chicago...it's the baddest part of town
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpy View Post
    Since the Saturn had major issues, it is not neccessary to bring it with you on a car hunt. After they find a car to buy, then they haggle later with the final sale with a trade in. The Saturn probably wasn't going to make a big dent in the sale price. The dealership will have it auctioned for parts. You can't just drive a car off the lot the first day you look at it anyway, because you need to get insurance, the registration, and it has to have an inspection sticker. Usually, it takes a week to get all the details together for the final sale. At any rate, maybe Fred had different plans for the Saturn other than a trade in. JMO
    Hey McSpy! Love your posts here and on other threads.
    Just wanted to put in my two cents - you can, in fact, drive a car off the lot the day you first look at it. I did, twice. I traded in my then-current car both times. I called the insurance company from the dealership while they were trying to sell me that all-expensive warranty (10 years, ten zillion miles, everything covered EXCEPT what you actually need covered, etc.). My insurance agent was able to get me insurance over the phone, added to my current policy. This was with Allstate Insurance (not sure if that matters, perhaps cut-rate insurance companies would not provide this service?) I didn't have to get any special paperwork prior to leaving, other than the sale papers and the documents that typically go along with the sale, inc. the temp. plate information, etc.

    I also traded in my car on the spot - both times. However, the traded-in car was in good condition (fully operable). The first purchase, I put down approximately 3,000 along with my trade-in, but that appeared to be a decent chunk of change for the down payment - they only required 1,000. Just my thoughts!

    Thanks everyone in this thread for keeping Maura Murray on the first page here at WS - I wish Renner were posting more often, but I understand he needs to keep some things for the book.


  16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Simply Caustic For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,230
    I will add my 2 cents: I have bought a car on the same day and have never traded in a car. I always sell them to a private party. More money that way.


  18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    909
    I think McSpy definitely brings up some good points.


    And I am also fully aware that each state is a little bit different when it comes to buying cars. I live in Illinois and we don't have to mess with inspections and things of that sort. Pretty much, you want a car, you go get the car, they slap temp tags on it and you drive it away that same day.

    But where maura was, I bet the process is much longer and tougher.

    I just am uncomfortable with fred murray's written statement he made just a few weeks after maura went missing.

    It seems (IMHO) that he is leaving out important details and in some cases was not making a lot of sense. His statement seemed detailed only when it came to mundane things while it appears that he glossed over parts of their day and night that to this day, there are so many questions lingering.

    And then the vasi hit and run angle.

    I swear, I never put a lot of belief into that. Ever since I have heard about maura murray, I have heard about this hit and run that took place, but I always believed (early on) that the hit and run happened far far away in an isolated area away from the school campus. And I always thought trying to tie maura up with what happened to petrit vasi was more of a hollywood type story line then something that could be factual.

    But I have now taken a hard look at the vasi hit and run and have to say that I can no longer comfortably dismiss it like i did in the past.

    The hit and run did happen very close to where maura was working (that is troubling fact No. 1 that I have physically saw for myself when I visited the UMASS campus this past summer) In fact, I couldn't believe just how close the hit and run site was to the dorm she was working the front desk.

    Her being found in that zombie like state by her supervisor actually aligns up way more accurately with the vasi hit and run then it does a conversation she had with her sister on the phone hours earlier.

    Seriously, how many events in life could cause someone to go into a zombie like state to the point they can't even function (that is how maura was described by her supervisor). I know everyone is wired differently, but she was obviously very troubled that night for some reason.

    Also, I just don't believe that she wouldn't have had the chance to leave her post. She is not guarding fort knox. She could've even had a fellow dorm person man her post for 20 minutes or so.

    She may have simply went and got something to eat. drinking didn't have to be involved at all in the vasi hit and run. Youngsters are constantly distracted while driving. She may have just lost her focus for a split second and wham.

    I don't know. I could be barking up the wrong tree. But I no longer am so dismissive of the vasi angle. regardless, it still doesn't solve what ultimately happened to maura, but if we can figure out much of why things went down the way they did in the days before maura went missing, we can get a better feel for what she may have been up to at the time of her wreck. And most importantly we can stop focusing on those days before she went missing and focus on what happened after she went missing.


  20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scoops For This Useful Post:


  21. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    574
    I think it is possible she was involved in the Vasi incident although we will probably never know for sure. What I'm wondering is WHY she was involved in so many accidents in so short a time. I have sold auto and home insurance for 15 years and I can tell you it is very unusual for most people to have this many accidents this close together. Either she was severely distracted by something in her private life or else, as some have speculated and as I have wondered myself, she had a drinking problem and was driving under the influence during all these incidents. In my own personal experience in the insurance business, the frequency of accidents she was having is uncommon, although we occasionally see it with very young and inexperienced drivers and sometimes with very elderly drivers who are sight or hearing impaired.


  22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dogperson For This Useful Post:


  23. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,636
    I think its obvious to anyone with experience in the matter than Maura had developed a problem with alcohol. I think she had something troubling her in a deep way....just not sure what that was.


  24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:


  25. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    I think it is possible she was involved in the Vasi incident although we will probably never know for sure. What I'm wondering is WHY she was involved in so many accidents in so short a time. I have sold auto and home insurance for 15 years and I can tell you it is very unusual for most people to have this many accidents this close together. Either she was severely distracted by something in her private life or else, as some have speculated and as I have wondered myself, she had a drinking problem and was driving under the influence during all these incidents. In my own personal experience in the insurance business, the frequency of accidents she was having is uncommon, although we occasionally see it with very young and inexperienced drivers and sometimes with very elderly drivers who are sight or hearing impaired.
    And it is possible that she was involved in the hit and run with vasi and no alcohol was involved in that particular situation. After that, she may have turned to alcohol to try and calm her nerves down and maybe the following accidents she had were more related to that. Basically, she may have been an emotional wreck after hitting vasi and never recovered enough through the weekend her father came and visited and never recovered by the monday she abruptly left her campus and drove to new hampshire.


  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoops For This Useful Post:


  27. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    10,497
    Quote Originally Posted by shefner View Post
    I agree with all that you said except the last bit. You can buy a car and drive it off the lot in the same day. Been there and done it plenty of times. Salesmen work hard to make it happen.....
    In Massachusetts? Also, It is doubtful they could get plates on the weekend. IIRC, they looked for a car on the weekend. I live in Mass., but as far as I know you can't get plates on the weekend and you have to have the car inspected. Maybe they streamlined it recently, but I doubt it. Massachusetts is so regulated. They don't use temporary plates.
    Last edited by McSpy; 06-07-2012 at 02:43 AM.


  28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  29. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    10,497
    Quote Originally Posted by scoops View Post
    I think McSpy definitely brings up some good points.


    And I am also fully aware that each state is a little bit different when it comes to buying cars. I live in Illinois and we don't have to mess with inspections and things of that sort. Pretty much, you want a car, you go get the car, they slap temp tags on it and you drive it away that same day.

    But where maura was, I bet the process is much longer and tougher.

    I just am uncomfortable with fred murray's written statement he made just a few weeks after maura went missing.

    It seems (IMHO) that he is leaving out important details and in some cases was not making a lot of sense. His statement seemed detailed only when it came to mundane things while it appears that he glossed over parts of their day and night that to this day, there are so many questions lingering.

    And then the vasi hit and run angle.

    I swear, I never put a lot of belief into that. Ever since I have heard about maura murray, I have heard about this hit and run that took place, but I always believed (early on) that the hit and run happened far far away in an isolated area away from the school campus. And I always thought trying to tie maura up with what happened to petrit vasi was more of a hollywood type story line then something that could be factual.

    But I have now taken a hard look at the vasi hit and run and have to say that I can no longer comfortably dismiss it like i did in the past.

    The hit and run did happen very close to where maura was working (that is troubling fact No. 1 that I have physically saw for myself when I visited the UMASS campus this past summer) In fact, I couldn't believe just how close the hit and run site was to the dorm she was working the front desk.

    Her being found in that zombie like state by her supervisor actually aligns up way more accurately with the vasi hit and run then it does a conversation she had with her sister on the phone hours earlier.

    Seriously, how many events in life could cause someone to go into a zombie like state to the point they can't even function (that is how maura was described by her supervisor). I know everyone is wired differently, but she was obviously very troubled that night for some reason.

    Also, I just don't believe that she wouldn't have had the chance to leave her post. She is not guarding fort knox. She could've even had a fellow dorm person man her post for 20 minutes or so.

    She may have simply went and got something to eat. drinking didn't have to be involved at all in the vasi hit and run. Youngsters are constantly distracted while driving. She may have just lost her focus for a split second and wham.

    I don't know. I could be barking up the wrong tree. But I no longer am so dismissive of the vasi angle. regardless, it still doesn't solve what ultimately happened to maura, but if we can figure out much of why things went down the way they did in the days before maura went missing, we can get a better feel for what she may have been up to at the time of her wreck. And most importantly we can stop focusing on those days before she went missing and focus on what happened after she went missing.
    Possible, but her getting caught using someone else's credit card number could have been weighing on her mind too. Either way, she had something bothering her which eventually caused her overreaction to crashing her dad's car. Of course, she would have probably felt awful about her dad's wrecked car without any other issues hanging over her, but along with her other problems, the car crash just added more grief. I don't think she felt good about herself at the time. I believe her trip to NH was her attempt to hide out and think things over. JMO


  30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 76 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #8
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1227
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
  2. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #7
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 861
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
  3. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #6
    By Peabody in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
  4. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #2
    By CW in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 300
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:23 AM
  5. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #1
    By Timex in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •