Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MO - Summer Shipp, 54, Kansas City, Dec 2004

Congratulations to Brandy Shipp for her hard work on the Campaign for the Missing.

http://examiner.net/login.shtml?orq:...21507005.shtml

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Shipp's disappearance prompts legislation

By Robert Hite
    The Examiner

Summer Shipp disappeared without a trace Dec. 8, 2004.

A bill in the Missouri House of Representatives, the Summer Shipp Act, now proposes some change in how law enforcement agencies coordinate and exchange information about missing people.

Shipp's daughter, Brandy Shipp, lobbied state representatives to make some changes.

"I went office to office," she said. "A lot of people were familiar with Summer Shipp."

Shipp disappeared while doing market research in a central Independence neighborhood. Despite an extensive search and investigation by local law enforcement officials and private investigators, she has never been found, and few clues exist.

Blue Springs Rep. Bryan Pratt, R-55th, filed a bill last week to improve coordination between law enforcement agencies.

"It provides what sort of information a police officer can take in a missing person report," he said.

Then that information is put into law enforcement databases, with this bill requiring the information be submitted into a national database, Pratt said. The additional information provides a more accurate portrait of the missing person, which reaches more agencies.

He said the law requires greater itemization of information, and he expects that to expedite finding missing people.

"We know those first few days are critical," Pratt said. "It's exponential in the first few days."

"The greatest effect the bill will highlight is the importance of finding a missing person in the first three days."

Some law enforcement agencies already share the information with other agencies, but not all, he said. This bill would make all agencies conform to the same criteria.

Pratt said the bill is not designed to criticize any law enforcement agency for how they have investigated missing persons.

"It is a bill about how to do it in the future," he said.

Shipp said her mother lived in Kansas when she disappeared. She and her friends distributed her mother's photograph to television stations once they realized she was missing.

"It was up to us to get her photo to television stations," she said.

They found her car days later in Independence. An Independence police officer was writing her a ticket for abandoning the car. The officer did not know she was missing or to look for her.

The act provides guidelines about what to do when someone is missing, Shipp said.

She said her intent is to have law enforcement agencies work together more efficiently toward locating and identifying missing people. Another took other than photographs is DNA evidence.

She said DNA allows matches between missing people and unknown remains to be made faster. That reduces the uncertainty period for family and other people interested.

The act calls for agencies to collect DNA, fingerprints, dental X-rays, and any other information it can regarding the missing person after 30 days if it has not been collected already.

Pratt said the bill is getting support from Republicans and Democrats. The obstacle of getting it passed by the House of Representatives and Senate is getting the time to debate the bill. Other bills might receive more debate time before the end of the legislative session.

Shipp said she believes area law enforcement agencies are still investigating her mother's disappearance. She has not given up hope.

"There are so many cases that aren't solved for four, six, eight years," she said. "I see so many cases around the country."

"I'm never going to give up," Shipp said.

From Summer's daughter, Brandy:

"Hello My Friends,

It has been a while since I have sent out any news/updates to the "Friends of Summer" mailing list members.

Some of you may be aware that I have volunteered to represent Missouri in part of the 'Campaign for the Missing'. 'Campaign for the Missing' is a grassroots effort to pass legislation in each state that will serve to improve the law enforcement community's ability to locate and ensure a safe return of missing persons. It will address the national problems of missing persons and the identification of human remains and provide the framework for improving law enforcement's response. It will also improve the collection of critical information about missing persons, prioritize high-risk missing persons cases, and ensure prompt dissemination of critical information to other law enforcement agencies and the public that can improve the likelihood of a safe return. To read more, go to http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com...sing-2006.html . To read the recent newspaper article which appeared in the Independence Examiner, please visit www.friendsofsummer.com .

In January 2007, Representative Bryan Pratt agreed to sponsor this model legislation, thus making Missouri the 9th state to secure sponsorship. Last month, the bill was officially named the "Summer Shipp Act" and was assigned House Bill Number 757.

Today I was advised that there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee in Jefferson City, MO on Tue, April 3, 2007 at 12:00 noon. This hearing is open to the public.

If there is any chance you might be able to attend to show your support, it would be very much appreciated!!

Also, if you would like to show your support by contacting your state senator, you may look up your representative here http://www.ncsl.org/public/leglinks.cfm . Your support is needed for this very important legislation.

Sincerely,
    Always Hopeful,
    Brandy Shipp"

Remains Found in River Identified as Summer Shipp Last Edited: Tuesday, 09 Oct 2007, 7:13 PM CDT Created: Tuesday, 09 Oct 2007, 5:14 PM CDT

More Bones, Clothing Found Where Skull Found In RiverLinks

Leave Your Message for the FamilyFriends of Summer LinkVideos

JACKSON COUNTY -- FOX 4 has learned that remains found in the Little Blue River in Jackson County have been identified.

Two well-placed sources tell FOX 4 that Summer Shipp's family was warned on Monday to brace for the worst. The Kansas City woman has been missing for almost three years now. She was last seen in Independence doing door-to-door research.

Now, those same sources tell FOX 4 that the remains and clothing found along the river have been identified as Summer Shipp's.

They said child or small adult. Summer is tiny enough to match.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/break...ry/310376.html

Posted on Tue, Oct. 09, 2007 07:29 PM

News conference called in Summer Shipp case

By KEVIN HOFFMANN
    The Kansas City Star

The Jackson County’s Sheriff’s Office has scheduled a news conference for 8:30 tonight, at which officials are expected to announce a break in the Summer Shipp investigation.

Earlier today, sources indicated that the remains found Sunday in the Little Blue River were those of Shipp, the Kansas City woman who disappeared in 2004 while conducting a door-to-door survey in Independence.

Two fishermen found what authorities described as a human skull along the riverbank less than a mile from a park shelter near Missouri 78 and Missouri 7. A team from Lee’s Summit Underwater Recovery searched the area Sunday night and Monday and reportedly found more bones, along with clothing that was wrapped in fishing line.

Initial reports indicated that the skull came from either a small adult or child. A flier listing information about Shipp after she disappeared described her as 5 feet tall, weighing 105 pounds.

Authorities were at the site again today and recovered more items, according to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

Late this afternoon, a family friend said some of Shipp’s relatives were told that the remains might be Shipp’s.

Shipp, 54, vanished Dec. 8, 2004. She was last seen going door-to-door in an Independence neighborhood. Her car, a bronze 1986 BMW, was found three days later in the 1500 block of West College Terrace. Witnesses reported seeing her walking toward a house on that street.

Police arrested a man who lived there for outstanding warrants. Investigators searched the house, impounded his vehicle, and gathered evidence for testing, but he was later released.

Months later, that man’s mother acknowledged that he was a prime suspect in Shipp’s disappearance and asked police to search her backyard. Investigators used cadaver dogs and metal prods to search the property for roughly two hours. They found nothing.

Shipp was widely known because she once owned a Westport movie house and was involved in various area social circles. Friends and family members described her as a positive, caring, loving person.

Her strawberry-blond hair and smiling face has been seen on fliers, posters, Web sites even television shows that spread word of her disappearance. Police and volunteers have searched Independence streets and neighborhoods repeatedly since she vanished.

One effort in February 2005 gained attention because searchers found a Sutherland’s store discount card while searching in northern Independence. Investigators determined the card was from a mass mailing and had not been used.

Her disappearance has been highlighted on area billboards, and several national television shows.

According to a Web site established by family and friends, a $100,000 reward stood for her return and prosecution of anyone involved in her disappearance.

That is so sad. I'm glad they found her remains, but this is just so sad. We live in such a sick world.

wow... unbelievable. If those fishermen hadn't gone fishing in that spot that day, she might never have been found. Sometimes it just takes a random stroke of chance to find someone.
    I hope her daughter, friends & family can find some comfort in the fact they will no longer have to wait for news, worry, and wonder. I've been following this case since the beginning... she sounds like she was a wonderful lady. I agree,, we live in a sick world and it seems to be getting sicker all the time. As always,, the question is WHY? ...WHY are there so many sick men out there who get a thrill out of killing an innocent person for reason at all... what is the point???

One more question... they already had their eye on the guy who did it, for a long time.. so,, has he been arrested yet???
    I have to give the mother credit for contacting police. One thing that makes me sick is the prevelance of "momma's boys' mommas" who are so in denial of their sociopathic, criminal sons,, they will defend them to no end and insist their little babies aren't capable of hurting a fly. But this woman has the basic human decency to do what's right, for a change... regardless of how much it must hurt her to know the truth about her own offspring.

You know reb, they may have just been waiting for a body. I hope they at least are able to prosecute whoever did this.

Letter from Brandy Shipp

My friends,

There are no words to express the feelings and emotions the family and friends of my Mother, Summer Shipp, are experiencing after the recent news of the positively identified remains of our wonderful, precious Summer. The family needs some time to absorb this. We dearly appreciate all the emails and phone calls we have received, and please keep them coming! They are so very comforting in this horrific time. Your messages to the family can be sent to friendsofsummer@gmail.com and for any other inquiries, please contact the Independence Police Dep't. @816-325-7330.

I would like to personally thank each and every one of you for your tremendous and ongoing support, prayers, and warm thoughts over the past 34 months. It is deeply appreciated more than you know. Now, we must hope and pray that the person responsible for this heinous crime is brought to justice.

Sincerely,
    Brandy Shipp

Following are a few links to recent news stories:

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=b56b123b-de02-41e5-b6cb-faeb2bac3ecb&rss=764

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4590658&version=14&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2007/10/have-they-final.html

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/310698-p2.html

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/310562.html
    --
    Always hopeful,
    Brandy Shipp

Please visit the website:
    www.friendsofsummer.com

Prayers for Brandy! A strong lady raised by a great mom!

Prayers for the whole family. I hope they are able to establish a cause of death and prosecute the person responsible, if anyone was.

Bump. Any news? I've looked, but I don't see anything about the cause of death. Saw a blog that says Jeff Sauerbry is nowhere to be found.

Someone has been charged in connection with the murder of Summer. I am SHOCKED. I didn't think this one would ever be solved.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19192545/...n-independence

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davehead21 For This Useful Post:

I am happy that her daughter finally has some answers. The poor girl put in so much effort to get justice for her mother.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives!

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacie Estes For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12