CA - Charlene Rosser, 29, Sierra County, 12 April 1998

rosser.jpg

http://yubanet.com/uploads/4/rosser.jpg

:rose: Rest in Peace, Charlene :rose:

IMO there is a strong resemblance between Charlene Rosser and Penelope Jo Milbourn
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/milbourn_penelope.html

I would even go as far as to say I see a physical resemblance to Sandy Turpin. Maybe Ernie Christie had a type...

I think they do resemble each other. Did Christie venture as far away as Sacramento though? That's where Charlene was visiting when she disappeared and her bones were found somewhat nearby as you head into the Sierras. I still think Ford is a more likely POI because of being a trucker. One of his victims was found near Lodi, south of Sacramento, so he could have picked Charlene up in Sacto. JMO

True that, I wasn't aware Charlene was in Sacramento when she disappeared. I wonder about the Speed Freak Killers in that case. They were active in that general area in 1998 allegedly dumped bodies in the Cow Mountains not far from Clear Lake, CA

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php...burial-site-for-additional-victims&Itemid=197

"Wesley Shermantine, now 46, and his partner in the crimes, Loren Herzog, were dubbed the “Speed Freak Killers” because the killings they carried out – which took place over a 15-year period, ending with their arrests in 1999 – had been fueled by methamphetamine.

Since the start of this year, information Shermantine has supplied to authorities has led to the discovery of the remains of what are believed to be numerous, previously unknown victims of the pair.

Originally it was believed the men were responsible for about 15 murders, but officials now estimate the pair’s victims could number more than 70. A March San Francisco Chronicle article, quoting an inmate who claimed to have spoken to Herzog in prison, put the possible victim count as high as 112"

True that, I wasn't aware Charlene was in Sacramento when she disappeared. I wonder about the Speed Freak Killers in that case. They were active in that general area in 1998 allegedly dumped bodies in the Cow Mountains not far from Clear Lake, CA

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php...burial-site-for-additional-victims&Itemid=197

"Wesley Shermantine, now 46, and his partner in the crimes, Loren Herzog, were dubbed the “Speed Freak Killers” because the killings they carried out – which took place over a 15-year period, ending with their arrests in 1999 – had been fueled by methamphetamine.

Since the start of this year, information Shermantine has supplied to authorities has led to the discovery of the remains of what are believed to be numerous, previously unknown victims of the pair.

Originally it was believed the men were responsible for about 15 murders, but officials now estimate the pair’s victims could number more than 70. A March San Francisco Chronicle article, quoting an inmate who claimed to have spoken to Herzog in prison, put the possible victim count as high as 112"

What a lovely pair...or quartet if there really were accomplices. I wonder how many others could be suspects in Charlene's murder. I'm still kind of stuck on Wayne Ford as my chief suspect because of the trucking connection. But I doubt it will ever be solved. It really bothers me that even after remains are found it's hard to make a solid case. And of course, so many remains aren't found. At least Shermantine and Ford are on death row and Herzog executed himself.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge and insight, Lilibet
Maybe you can fill me in on the trucking connection a bit more. Was Charlene known to hang out at truck stops, was she into hitchhiking? There is a clue in that for sure, but if she was into hitchhiking, that really broadens the pool of suspects. Do you know if DNA was retrieved from Charlene's case? The Speed Freak Killers or other nearby SKs would be worth running DNA comparisons on, if possible. I can see what you are saying with Ford out on the roads of California, cruising for women. It is entirely possible he had tons of victims before he turned himself in, and Charlene was in his territory. If she was hanging out at truck stops specifically then that would definitely increase the odds of her crossing paths with him.

I wish Herzog were still alive, I think those two had a lot of explaining to do. Shermantine was partially cooperative and then the whole thing got messed up and basically ended. I mean, did they ever find Michaela Garecht's body? Shermantine spoke of her, and I knew in my heart that Loren got her, and yet no bones. So that is why I hope they keep Shermantine and any other SKs out of the electric chair etc until answers are supplied. Once the serial killer dies many chances for answers are lost.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge and insight, Lilibet
Maybe you can fill me in on the trucking connection a bit more. Was Charlene known to hang out at truck stops, was she into hitchhiking? There is a clue in that for sure, but if she was into hitchhiking, that really broadens the pool of suspects. Do you know if DNA was retrieved from Charlene's case? The Speed Freak Killers or other nearby SKs would be worth running DNA comparisons on, if possible. I can see what you are saying with Ford out on the roads of California, cruising for women. It is entirely possible he had tons of victims before he turned himself in, and Charlene was in his territory. If she was hanging out at truck stops specifically then that would definitely increase the odds of her crossing paths with him.
BBM

I appreciate your interest in this case, Mountain Mama. Here's a little more information.

This is where it talks about Charlene and truckers. It's impossible to tell where she got the rides...truck stops or hitching.

Rosser was 29 years old when she was reported missing and was known to accept rides with truck drivers.

http://www.redwoodtimes.com/general-news/20120605/remains-of-missing-eureka-woman-finally-identified

Ford did prey on prostitutes at truck stops, but he also picked up hitch hikers.

As he traveled across the state, long-haul trucker Wayne Adam Ford combed dark roadways for vulnerable young women -- women desperate enough to climb into the cab of his truck and trade sex for cash. Women, a prosecutor told jurors Wednesday, who might not be missed.

The body of the first victim, Humboldt County Jane Doe, was so severely dismembered that she has never been identified. A kayaker found the torso of the woman, who Ford said was a hitchhiker, in a slough in Eureka.

I haven't read that any DNA was available other than Charlene's. Ford's DNA was associated with some of his victims.

DNA evidence also linked Ford to some of the killings, the prosecutor said.

I think it's interesting that both Ford and Charlene were from Eureka. Ford had moved away by the time he started working as a trucker. But it seems that he had a trailer he lived in where the remains of his Doe victim were found in a freezer after he confessed in November 1998. So he may have moved back at some point.

After being persuaded by his brother to confess to the killings, Ford led investigators to his trailer where parts of Humboldt County Jane Doe's body were found in his freezer.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/15/local/me-ford15

It's quite possible he had more victims.

Ford's admissions of picking up other women, beyond the four to whom he has admitted killing, have sparked concern there may be other, still unknown victims, Taylor said.

The article mentions that at least one got away. He claimed he took some out of his truck alive.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/nov/11/news/mn-41607

Her Namus is still active. Presumably it’s been left this way because only partial remains were recovered and ID via DNA. Maybe LE are hoping more will be found. The recovery is noted under the Circumstances section.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back