06-02-2012, 04:43 PM #1
LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22
Michaela (Mickey) Shunick
Missing from Lafayette LA -- 19 May 2012
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173744"]Thread #5 [/ame]
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173849"]Thread #7 [/ame]
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174010"]Thread #11 [/ame]
• [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173725"]Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY *[/ame]
• [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7982648&postcount=4"]BayouBecky's videos[/ame] of Mickey's possible routes homeward
• KATC Twitter feed
• Website: Find Mickey Now
• Lafayette Police Department updates
• Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now
• If you find and post new info here on the discussion thread, please also post that link on the Time Line & Media Links *
• When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.
• Please do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.
• Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.
(And much thanks to queenofcorona, who started the original thread!)
verified posters: Insiders: queenofcorona and chicken fried; verified PI: A.C.I.
A few additional reminders:
- Leave the snark -- and the rumors --at the door.
- Treat other posters with respect.
- If you have questions or concerns about a post, alert on that post and contact a mod. Do not quote and/or reply to the post. If you do, and the post is subsequently deleted, your post is subject to deletion, as well.
- If you have other questions in general, scroll to the bottom of the page and find "View forum leaders." There you will find a list of moderators available if you need to PM one.
- Remember: you can disagree with a post and address it, but you do NOT attack the poster.
(Originally posted by wfgodot with a few minor changes added by bessie.)
Last edited by nursebeeme; 06-05-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added links post, added last thread, added verified posters__________________________________
Muddy water in the street; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"
WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK
06-05-2012, 11:14 AM #2
LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22Thank you for joining Websleuths!
It is wonderful to see so many new members (many locals!) interested in helping locate Mickey. Your dedication is appreciated.
Please remember the following when discussing the Mickey Shunick case:
Websleuths is a moderated forum. We strive to discuss cases in a friendly environment.
Our rules can be reviewed here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]Link to the Rules Forum[/ame] (PLEASE make sure you know the rules!)
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM #3IMPORTANT INFORMATION
For a few days in a row, there have been numerous TOS violations on this case. While it may seem harmless to some, we are getting dozens of complaints from other members who want to discuss this case constructively. From now on, there will be more time outs issued to those who repeatedly choose to ignore our guidelines.
Here are just some of the problems that occur over and over:
* Baiting /Trolling / Inciting Conflict: There are times when a member violates our rules by trying to upset other members. Please use your ALERT feature when this happens and DO NOT RESPOND TO THE POSTS. When a moderator is able to deal with the problem, it takes a LOT less time when he/she doesn't have to also deal with all the responses to the offense. Plus, it makes the one who initially started the conflict keep on going.
* Inviting/Baiting: This is when someone says they have information they can't share on the forum. Then someone else asks for them to PM the information. It's like be at a party and whispering secrets to each other and is not allowed here. If you have something private to share, then send a private message and don't announce it on the public thread.
* Dreams/Visions: WS doesn't condone dreams and visions and psychic information. There are plenty of sites out there on the WWW that do, but we are not one of them. We have not found that information to be helpful in solving cases.
* Announcing alerts: Don't announce that you are alerting. Just do your part and make the alert and move on.
* Sleuthing guidelines: We don’t permit any posts discussing the sleuthing of non-players. Considering there have been no suspects or POI’s named to date, that means pretty much no one is permitted to be sleuthed, except Mickey, This is done to protect the innocent. Think about it – suppose your son (or daughter) gave your next door neighbor a ride to the grocery store, dropped them off with the understanding that they had a ride home. That neighbor disappears and is now missing. Do you want hundreds of people sleuthing your background? Knowing where you live, work, your kid’s names, ages, where they go to school? Would you like every skeleton in your closet to be shaken and posted on a public forum for the world to see? It is not right and not fair to innocent people. Most of these people are only a friend or acquaintance by sheer circumstance. They do not deserve the public scrutiny. It is completely understandable for Law Enforcement to take this approach. However, after their investigation, if they find no basis for suspicion and clear these people, they don’t make their records public either. Simply put, it just ain’t cool to do and we don’t do it here at Websleuths.
* Sleuthing other members: It doesn't matter what they are doing here, we do NOT sleuth other members. Anonymity is taken very seriously on Websleuths. If this continues, a member could lose their posting privileges permanently
* Derogatory Name Changes to Case Players/General Name Calling: is not allowed here.
* “Off-Topic” Posts: Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended. This thread is for discussion of locating Mickey Shunick.
* Verified Posters, Insiders & Locals:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653"]See this Link to the Verified Posters: Professionals and Insiders.[/ame]
We don’t verify every local who follows any case. You are welcome to post photos & maps of the area, post your knowledge about specific areas (e.g., directions, locations, weather conditions, etc..) so we can all have a better understanding. What you cannot do is post information relayed to you by another person (e.g., “I went on a volunteer search last week & another person I met told me “blah blah blah” <insert rumor of your choice> and she said she got it from a co-worker of Mickey’s sister. That is RUMOR and we do not participate in any rumor chasing events here.
An insider is usually someone with direct knowledge. Often a family member or a close friend. Those we do verify. Keep in mind no one is obligated to become verified; we completely respect and understand those who choose not to do so. All we ask is that you not post inside information claiming it as fact.
That all said, we are very careful when verifying members. However, we cannot endorse the content of their posts nor assert as to the truth of what is being stated. It is up to the reader to decide that for themselves. We’re simply letting you know that an Administrator or Owner has spoken with this person, gathered data to investigate that they are who they say they are. We do this to protect the integrity of the information posted here.
None of these rules are new and a more detailed explanation of them can be found here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7825556#post7825556"] LINK -Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
Everyone is now being held responsible for knowing the rules.
Please know that Moderators are here to help. We realize it takes a bit to learn the WS policies. We've all been there ourselves. At the bottom of the Missing Forum homepage you will see a list of "Forum Leaders". Please feel free to contact the moderator of your choice with any questions you may have. We will be happy to help you learn the ropes around here!
Last edited by beach; 06-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM #4
Have you read the two previous posts?
If not, read them now.
By posting on this thread,
you are stating you know the rules!
06-05-2012, 12:16 PM #5
Open for posting. Feel free to link the above posts, bump them or direct those who may log in later and may not have clicked on the first page to review the posts.
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM #6
Fantastic! Thanks!Nothing is sacred, no one gets a pass.
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence ~ Hitchens
06-05-2012, 12:21 PM #7
Hi all! I have come over to the thread and read a little bit everyday but it would be impossible to keep up with everything. This is my first post here and I want to simply share my thoughts. I mean no offense to anyone.
Typically when LE doesn't have the victim and/or a perp they only share enough information to the public in hopes that someone has seen something unusual and will come forward. They would be looking for someone that saw the accident or abduction, someone acting unusual for example: not showing up for work, hiding, selling, cleaning a vehicle, basically changes in a persons usual routine. It's totally possible they have a POI and have survailence on the POI hoping that they will lead them to where she is. They very well may have other video also, but don't feel it would be useful to the investigation to release it to the public.
When Mickey first came up missing, my thoughts lead me to someone from outside of Lafayette coming into town to party and hit on girls or guys. Although, I'm not at all ruling out this may be an abduction, I keep going back to the drunk driving scenerio.
Initially you would think that if someone was drunk and hit her they would just leave the scene. It's hard to tell though what a person might do if they were intoxicated or panicking. It's possible also, that if there were more than one person in the vehicle there may have been a moral discussion going on and it was decided that they couldn't just leave her there.
The evidence indicates that the perp made it all the way out to WB to dispose of the bike. So, they obviously went that direction because it was on the way home or to dispose of evidence. They could have dropped the bike there that night or at a later time. Either way, it was "most likely" done at night.
I always try to be careful not to get stuck in one place. What information can I obtain from disecting the photo of the vehicle? For me, the only useful information is the make/model/color etc. If I even look at that photo for a short period of time, my eyes begin playing tricks on me. The pixels and lighting can make things look like they are there that really are not. Photoshopping can mislead things. If I find myself getting stuck, sometimes it's good if I take a break, clear my head and start over from the beginning. Again, these are just my thoughts and opinions.
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM #8
Carrying over from previous thread:
06-05-2012, 12:31 PM #9
Finally got some time to get caught up from yesterday, and to do some playing around with Google Maps Street View. In investigating potential routes MS may have taken/deviated onto, I noticed that directly across from the parking garage on St. Landry, there's an office complex which houses, amongst other things, the Azar clinic (intersection of St. Landry & St. Louis). There's a little obscure driveway/alleyway there between buildings, including a nice, healthy bush/shrub out near the street.
I don't like the looks of it. It looks like the perfect set-up spot.
And directly atop the neighboring building (whose sign reads "Laser & Surgery Center of Acadiana") is a surveillance camera, which is apparently aimed down that alley towards the back of the property.
Has this all been thoroughly searched? (video footage, search teams, dogs, etc.)
06-05-2012, 12:32 PM #10
In trying to conjure up other scenarios of how to get MS off her bike, I got to thinking abut rope. Could one literally lasso a person on a bike? Sure they could, right? I am NOT saying I think this happened! I am just wondering if it is even a plausible scenario. Perp could be on foot or in a vehicle in that scenario. Then, use the same rope to tie up the victim?
Probably just a crazy idea...right?
06-05-2012, 12:35 PM #11
Very initially, I thought "DUI/accident + coverup"...then thought "someone observing her, maybe over time (distinctive look)".
We all bring uniqueness to the table and have our weak and strong points.
I'm a huuuuge fan of brainstorming and teamwork.
Sometimes someone may be instrumental without even realizing it...if so, hopefully whomever gets the reward will share. I say that half-kidding and in my own twisted sense of humor that helps me cope with Mickey (and many others) being missing or worse.
You never know how the Universe may conspire by bringing the rite people and the rite thoughts together...
06-05-2012, 12:35 PM #12Inactive
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
Going to start here now that there is a new thread. To escape the camera, which I'm certain that Mickey didn't even know was there at 216 Landry, and she wasn't captured on camera going through the City Hall lot, (not that we are aware at least), she could have taken Brashear, to Cherry. There is a barrier at those two streets, both of which she could have crossed but anyone persuing her in a vehicle couldn't, which would have forced him to go around back onto University, further down than a camera would have caught him. This is my theory.
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM #13
06-05-2012, 12:38 PM #14
06-05-2012, 12:38 PM #15Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2012
a few people have been asking why there are no photos further down St. Landry St. there are no cameras further down. there is a 'black hole' from where she was spotted until bertrand, then from johnston st to congress. in a little while i will go take some more pictures of the area in that direction and point out the cameras like i did on the downtown side.
i have been studying the truck picture, has anyone else noticed there are only side bars under the front doors? and it does not appear to have a bed liner. what looks like a black boarder on the far side of the bed is actually the gutter drain on the other side of the street. also, that 'light source' under the nearest headlight, at first i thought it was just a reflection of some sort, but if you examine it closely, look at the street. the light is illuminating the street.
anyone have any thoughts on those observations?
By bessie in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 1086Last Post: 06-05-2012, 12:01 PM
By bessie in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 1332Last Post: 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
By bessie in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 1124Last Post: 06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 529Last Post: 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 566Last Post: 05-28-2012, 12:37 AM