Match! WA: Arundell, Richard DOB 2/06/1918 Found UKN #314

SSDI entry for Mr. Arundell states he passed away on February 23, 2001.

"United States Social Security Death Index," Richard Arundell, 2001
First Name: Richard
Middle Name:
Last Name: Arundell
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 6 February 1918
Social Security Number: 535-64-1411
Place of Issuance: Washington
Last Residence: Spokane, Washington
Zip Code of Last Residence: 99207
Death Date: 23 February 2001
Estimated Age at Death: 83
I found this 1930 census listing for a Richard Arundell with a birth year that fits.

"United States Census, 1930," Richard Arundell, Medical Lake, Spokane, Washington
Name: Richard Arundell
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Medical Lake, Spokane, Washington
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Birthplace: Washington
Estimated Birth Year: 1918
Immigration Year:
Relationship to Head of Household:
Father's Birthplace: United States
Mother's Birthplace: United States
Enumeration District Number: 0143
Family Number: 1
Sheet Number and Letter: 1A
Line Number: 15
NARA Publication: T626, roll 2514
Film Number: 2342248
Digital Folder Number: 4547532
Image Number: 00173
I found it odd that no parents were listed. I looked up "Medical Lake" and it is open to Eastern State Hospital: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_State_Hospital_(Washington)

Is it possible that he was committed there? If he was, it is possible he was committed for his entire life then? Very sad possibility.

He is also mentioned in this Spokesman-Review article from December 9, 2003 on unclaimed persons.

Also, here is his listing in the Spokane Medical Examiner page: Link here.

Does anyone have an account to access archived articles from The Spokesman-Review?

I found an obituary listing for Mr. Arundell, but it requires either an account or fee.

Link here.

Spokesman-Review, The : OBITUARIES
$2.95 -
Spokane Spokesman-Review - Feb 28, 2001
Richard Arundell Medical Lake Memorial service for Richard Arundell, 83, will be at 11 am Saturday at Foundation Ministries, 2128 N. Pines. Riplinger Funeral ...

found this washington state birth record:

Father was also Richard Arundell and mother was Maude Ashbey

Richard Arundell
Date of Birth: 6 Feb 1918
County: King
Father's Name: Richard Arundell
Mother's name: Maud Ashbey

Here is Richard's obituary:
Idaho Spokesman-Review (Coeur d'Alene, ID) - Wednesday, February 28, 2001
Deceased Name: Richard Arundell
Memorial service for Richard Arundell, 83, will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Foundation Ministries, 2128 N. Pines. Riplinger Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Mr. Arundell, who was born in Western Washington, died Friday. He came to Spokane as child. For the past 57 years he resided at Lakeland Village. There are no surviving family members.

(Lakeland Village is a state operated 24-hour facility that provides all facets of training, education and healthcare for about 250 individuals with developmental disabilities.)
Richard is living at the state custodial school in 1930 and is working there as a dining room employee.

We know from research above that his parents are Richard Arundell and Maud Ashby. Here is Maud's history:

In 1910, we find Maud listed as Maud Lister, a head of household on her second marriage at age 21, with children Charles Day (5), Eva Lister (2) and Blanche Lister (6 mos). She is living in the same household with her father James, and his son Burnett (13) and Grace (11). No husband is listed. Grandpa James is the only one employed.
Burnett/Bennett dies in 1919 at age 22.

1920: Maud Ashby Arundell, age 30, is still living with her widowed father, James Ashby, age 65, in 1920, just two years after Richard's birth. She lists herself as a widow. James is the head of household, and also listed with him are two grandchildren, Charles (14) and Blanche (11) Day. These are Maud's from a previous marriage, so they are siblings to young Richard. James is a carpenter, Maud is a private nurse, and Charles is a cabin boy on a boat.

There are children named Blanche, age 10, Grace, age 5, and Alice, age 3, Arundale living in the Washington Children's Home in 1920, with an Irish father. This may be Richard and Maud's younger children.

In 1930, Maud is living with her husband Henry B. La Bare...they appear to have married within the year.
In 1940, Maud is living as Maud Labari, a widow, and takes in a lodger named Herbert Quimby. (H. Quimby was also the witness at the marriage of Ethel Woods and Henry B. La Bare, see below.)

Idaho state marriage records show this marriage for Maud Ashby:
1. Jay W. Day, June 13, 1904, in Moscow, Latah, Idaho
Washington state marriage records show these marriages for Maud Ethel Ashby.:
2. Harry D. Lister on 8-11-1906 in King County
3. Richard Arundell on 5-5-1913 in King County (She is listed as divorced on this marriage license, and lists her parents as Henry Ashby and Margaret Word, both b. in England. Richard is a 53-year-old widowed janitor also on his third marriage. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, to Richard Arundell and Alicia Frost.)
4. possible marriage to Henry B. LaBare (as Ethel Woods, in Pierce County)

There is an article in the May 5, 1916, Seattle Times about Richard and Maud Arundell's family. The article is about how they are nearly starving to death during an illness of Richard's, how he lost his job as a janitor, and how Charles (Maud's son) walked 6.5 miles at age 11 to the newspaper to get help for his starving family. Maud is partly paralyzed, Charles Vernon has an eye defect, the baby, Alice, is "puny and cries almost incessantly". Eva is 7 and is crippled by spinal meningitis. Blanche, 6, and Grace, 3, are "regular children." A day later, another article, with a photo of Grace and their dog, Sport. Three days later, a followup article tells about the community coming together to help them. Eighteen days later, Richard is out of the hospital and looking for a job. In 1919, they have another daughter, which Washington birth records tell us is Helen. Richard appears to have died between 1919 and 1920.

So in total, Maud has these children:
1. Charles Day b. c. 1905 d. 1982
2. Eva Lister b. c. 1909 d. 1933
3. Blanche Lister b. c 1910 d. 1955
4. Grace Lister or Arundell b. c 1913 not mentioned after 1920
5. Alice Arundell b. c. 1916 not mentioned after 1920
6. Richard Arundell b. 1918 object of this project
7. Helen Arundell b. 1919 d. after 1982

I think.

Bertha Evangeline (Eve) dies 28 January 1933, age 24, at Medical Lake (she was probably in state care along with her brother, since she was disabled).

Maud Ethel (now La Bare) dies in September, 1945, leaving the following children: Blanche Morris, Helen Anderson, Charles Day of Seattle, and Richard Arundell of Medical Lake, as well as 4 grandchildren. She is buried in Mount Pleasant. So, presumably, Grace and "puny" baby Alice, as well as Eve, have passed, or were adopted out.

Washington death records show Blanche dying 10 April 1955, age 45, in Seattle. (She was a laundry worker who died in her gas-filled apartment.)

On 9 Mar 1940, Charles is married to Bernadine Katherine Rogers and eventually has three children. Bernadine dies in Seattle in April 1979. Charles dies 18 May 1982. His obit lists children Stephen, James and Wayne Day, and 9 grandchildren, as well as his sister Helen, as survivors. He is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Perhaps the authorities can find Stephen, James or Wayne to inform them of their uncle's death. Or possibly Richard's sister Helen Anderson is still alive, at 93.

Wow. What a horribly sad story for Richard and his family. I hope we can find some family who want him. I have a daughter with a developmental disability so it kind of hits home a bit.

Christina

Wow. What a horribly sad story for Richard and his family. I hope we can find some family who want him. I have a daughter with a developmental disability so it kind of hits home a bit.

Christina

That seems to be a problem at times. We locate families and have a Match but they refuse to claim, the ME's hope a distance relative will claim that is why some cases remain open on the ME list. The Me's make their notes that the family knows and does not want to claim.

Thank you, doublestop, for this wealth of information!

What a hard story to read, but now totally motivated to locate Charles' family to see if they will claim his brother Richard!

Here is Richard's obituary:
Idaho Spokesman-Review (Coeur d'Alene, ID) - Wednesday, February 28, 2001
Deceased Name: Richard Arundell
Memorial service for Richard Arundell, 83, will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Foundation Ministries, 2128 N. Pines. Riplinger Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Mr. Arundell, who was born in Western Washington, died Friday. He came to Spokane as child. For the past 57 years he resided at Lakeland Village. There are no surviving family members.

(Lakeland Village is a state operated 24-hour facility that provides all facets of training, education and healthcare for about 250 individuals with developmental disabilities.)
Richard is living at the state custodial school in 1930 and is working there as a dining room employee.

We know from research above that his parents are Richard Arundell and Maud Ashby. Here is Maud's history:

In 1910, we find Maud listed as Maud Lister, a head of household on her second marriage at age 21, with children Charles Day (5), Eva Lister (2) and Blanche Lister (6 mos). She is living in the same household with her father James, and his son Burnett (13) and Grace (11). No husband is listed. Grandpa James is the only one employed.
Burnett/Bennett dies in 1919 at age 22.

1920: Maud Ashby Arundell, age 30, is still living with her widowed father, James Ashby, age 65, in 1920, just two years after Richard's birth. She lists herself as a widow. James is the head of household, and also listed with him are two grandchildren, Charles (14) and Blanche (11) Day. These are Maud's from a previous marriage, so they are siblings to young Richard. James is a carpenter, Maud is a private nurse, and Charles is a cabin boy on a boat.

There are children named Blanche, age 10, Grace, age 5, and Alice, age 3, Arundale living in the Washington Children's Home in 1920, with an Irish father. This may be Richard and Maud's younger children.

In 1930, Maud is living with her husband Henry B. La Bare...they appear to have married within the year.
In 1940, Maud is living as Maud Labari, a widow, and takes in a lodger named Herbert Quimby. (H. Quimby was also the witness at the marriage of Ethel Woods and Henry B. La Bare, see below.)

Idaho state marriage records show this marriage for Maud Ashby:
1. Jay W. Day, June 13, 1904, in Moscow, Latah, Idaho
Washington state marriage records show these marriages for Maud Ethel Ashby.:
2. Harry D. Lister on 8-11-1906 in King County
3. Richard Arundell on 5-5-1913 in King County (She is listed as divorced on this marriage license, and lists her parents as Henry Ashby and Margaret Word, both b. in England. Richard is a 53-year-old widowed janitor also on his third marriage. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, to Richard Arundell and Alicia Frost.)
4. possible marriage to Henry B. LaBare (as Ethel Woods, in Pierce County)

There is an article in the May 5, 1916, Seattle Times about Richard and Maud Arundell's family. The article is about how they are nearly starving to death during an illness of Richard's, how he lost his job as a janitor, and how Charles (Maud's son) walked 6.5 miles at age 11 to the newspaper to get help for his starving family. Maud is partly paralyzed, Charles Vernon has an eye defect, the baby, Alice, is "puny and cries almost incessantly". Eva is 7 and is crippled by spinal meningitis. Blanche, 6, and Grace, 3, are "regular children." A day later, another article, with a photo of Grace and their dog, Sport. Three days later, a followup article tells about the community coming together to help them. Eighteen days later, Richard is out of the hospital and looking for a job. In 1919, they have another daughter, which Washington birth records tell us is Helen. Richard appears to have died between 1919 and 1920.

So in total, Maud has these children:
1. Charles Day b. c. 1905 d. 1982
2. Eva Lister b. c. 1909 d. 1933
3. Blanche Lister b. c 1910 d. 1955
4. Grace Lister or Arundell b. c 1913 not mentioned after 1920
5. Alice Arundell b. c. 1916 not mentioned after 1920
6. Richard Arundell b. 1918 object of this project
7. Helen Arundell b. 1919 d. after 1982

I think.

Bertha Evangeline (Eve) dies 28 January 1933, age 24, at Medical Lake (she was probably in state care along with her brother, since she was disabled).

Maud Ethel (now La Bare) dies in September, 1945, leaving the following children: Blanche Morris, Helen Anderson, Charles Day of Seattle, and Richard Arundell of Medical Lake, as well as 4 grandchildren. She is buried in Mount Pleasant. So, presumably, Grace and "puny" baby Alice, as well as Eve, have passed, or were adopted out.

Washington death records show Blanche dying 10 April 1955, age 45, in Seattle. (She was a laundry worker who died in her gas-filled apartment.)

On 9 Mar 1940, Charles is married to Bernadine Katherine Rogers and eventually has three children. Bernadine dies in Seattle in April 1979. Charles dies 18 May 1982. His obit lists children Stephen, James and Wayne Day, and 9 grandchildren, as well as his sister Helen, as survivors. He is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Perhaps the authorities can find Stephen, James or Wayne to inform them of their uncle's death. Or possibly Richard's sister Helen Anderson is still alive, at 93.

Spent a bit of time today trying to trace James, Stephen, and Wayne Day, but not surprisingly, those combinations aren't rare names. No success yet. Maybe someone else will have more luck!

Family identified. The information was sent to the ME. We will consider it matched and closed unless additional information is received.

Excellent, I'm glad we were able to make the match. The hard thing about working on these is wondering what becomes of them when the family is informed...whether they claim them or not. Poor Richard had such a rough life. I hope someone at least claimed him in death.

Excellent, I'm glad we were able to make the match. The hard thing about working on these is wondering what becomes of them when the family is informed...whether they claim them or not. Poor Richard had such a rough life. I hope someone at least claimed him in death.
Some family claim others do not. A lot have been cremated and they just tell the family which grave spot they can visit.. They do mass burials with the ramins after so long.

I know this post is years old but I just came across it. My Grandmother was born Alice Arundell, the incessantly crying baby. According to the Seattle 1920 census her and Grace were wards of the state and in a group home. Alice was adopted and renamed Barbara. I don’t know what happened to Grace, I wish I did. I had wondered what became of Richard and am sad to see his fate may not have been good. Can someone tell me who and why this project on Richard, my Grandmother’s full brother was started?

This area of websleuths seeks to match unclaimed bodies with family. Richard was listed as unclaimed, so we were researching to help find family who might want to either claim the body, or at least know what became of him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back