Thread: CO-Woman takes child out of car seat, straps in gas can

CO-Woman takes child out of car seat, straps in gas can

Why wasn't she identified and charged with child endangerment?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...132717697.html

A Colorado woman was cited for a seat belt violation when the police officer who pulled her over during a routine traffic stop discovered she had removed her child from a car seat to make room for a gas can.

The unidentified female driver was stopped after making an improper turn in Aurora, Colo., on May 30. The woman and her two children—a 14-year-old and the toddler—were not wearing seat belts. But a photo of the back seat taken by the officer for the Aurora Police Department's "Click It or Ticket" campaign shows the gas can was secured with the seat belt meant for the young child.

"This could be one of the extreme incidents we've ever seen," Aurora Police spokesman Frank Fania told the Denver Post.

More at link.....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Mom says kid unbuckled self, buckled in gas can during traffic stop

Not only was she identified, she went to 9 News in Denver to defend herself with a ridiculous story. More at link below.

Sandra Ramirez spoke to 9NEWS Wednesday morning about this photo...Ramirez admits neither she nor the front-seat passenger were wearing seat belts when the officer pulled her over, but she insists her 3-year-old son was wearing one.

Ramirez is extremely upset by the controversial photo and apologized for the misunderstanding. She told 9NEWS she plans to sell her car and not drive again.

Ramirez was ticketed for the illegal turn, two seat belt violations, and the car seat violation, says DeShazer.
    link

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the additional info, Seek&Find ! Agree, what an unbelievable story to cover up what happened.

Going by the comments nobody else believes it either.

I hope somebody in the PD cares enough to at least make a referral to CPS, as I'm sure she is not going to stop driving...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

I just saw this on Yahoo and came to link.

You guys were johnny on the spot.

UNBELEIVABLE!
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:

That ignorant sole!!! And, then she goes to the news media to tell her side

The link below was provided by Seek&Find ... I have posted remarks considered rumors from the Comments section of the article.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/27...ined-by-driver

Commentor remarked, "It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

This commentor says, SMART Kid, now if he can figure out how to get away from that crazy stupid womna he might have a chance in life. Says, what the HE!! is a gas can doing so close to a child anyway??????

Commentor doesn't believe her three-year old unbuckled himself and rebuckled himself into the other seat THEN he buckled the gas can into his carseat! Riiiiighhhhhtttt

Commentor says she definitely needs to get charged with endagering the wellfare of a child. And, that stupidity is no argument for failing to protect your child and do what's best for them, even if it means your gas can has to sit on the floor.

Commentor says local kktv news reported not only the no seat belts used, gas in car seat, illegal left turn, but she has no auto insurance. Seems like there should be higher fines for all of that or impounded car.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southernnana For This Useful Post:

No words.....

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarmelEyesD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Thanks for the additional info, Seek&Find ! Agree, what an unbelievable story to cover up what happened.

Going by the comments nobody else believes it either.

I hope somebody in the PD cares enough to at least make a referral to CPS, as I'm sure she is not going to stop driving...
    I'd think a referral was done, but if not, mom conveniently decided to air her story and name on the most watched local news, so I'm betting some interested CPS officials were watching. .

Her story makes no sense. If nothing else, if she knows he often gets out of his seatbelt and meanders around the back seat, why was the gas can being kept there? Who keeps the can with its fumes and potential spilling up front, no cap on the nozzle (near the child)?? Not buying any of what she said. And she's just saying she's selling the car thinking it'll get her out of trouble, IMO.

What a precocious child btw to be able to unbuckle himself, lift gas can, (bet it was full, so how heavy would it be to a 2yo), carefully strap it in so the larger back portion sits behind the belt, buckle the gas can in, scoot to the other seat, and buckle himself in. Um yeah... Oh wait. Forgot she blamed both the toddler and the 14 yo.
    Last edited by Seek&Find; 06-07-2012 at 02:35 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Just read a great comment/observation here. Link

To paraphrase, if you look at the picture, the chest buckle for the five point restraint that should have been around little guy's chest are behind the can. So, lil Houdini would've had to unbuckle the five point harness, unbuckle the seat belt from behind the car seat, then move it around to the front to buckle this in.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

On mom's own FB she had posted something about getting pulled over again no license - but whew didnt go to jail.

I don't care if the kid did climb out himself - you PULL THE CAR OVER and be a parent...but if neither of those 2 were wearing seat belts, safety is clearly not a priority.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to longtallcold For This Useful Post:

Per this article, mom is 31, the 14 yo is her son, and she's a stay at home mom of three.
    I've worked with a lot of teen moms. Some do well, some don't. I hope at a minimum, some parenting classes are required. Link

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Police said she was not cited for child abuse. Officers said their records check on Ramirez came back clean.

“This was probably just a bad decision on the part of the mother rather than a child abuse or neglect situation,” said Aurora Police Officer Frank Fania.
    link

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Meanwhile, the 16-year-old male passenger decided to buckle the gas can in the child safe seat, said Ramirez, who was driving to pick up her 14-year-old daughter at McDonald's when she was stopped.
    Ramirez also had a 2003 domestic violence arrest in Aurora that included charges of assault and battery, accord to Colorado arrest records. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic violence-related assault.

That same year, Ramirez was arrested for obstructing police in Arapahoe County, records show.
    link

Wow! Can the news stories on this differ more? I know we see it all the time, but it does get old, IMO.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Thanks to Seek&Find for providing these links and news. I have added a bit of humor to each news item!!

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/0...xt-to-toddler/

Police said she was not cited for child abuse. Officers said their records check on Ramirez came back clean.

“This was probably just a bad decision on the part of the mother rather than a child abuse or neglect situation,” said Aurora Police Officer Frank Fania.

The Colorado Department of Transportation posted the shocking photo on its website. It’s been viewed thousands of times.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...07/detail.html

The officer's photo was initially posted on the Colorado Department of Transportation's Facebook page. "One of my traffic officers took the picture on a stop while conducting click it or ticket seat belt campaign enforcement last week," said Aurora Police Lieutenant Chuck Deshazer.

Ramirez also had a 2003 domestic violence arrest in Aurora that included charges of assault and battery, accord to Colorado arrest records. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic violence-related assault.

That same year, Ramirez was arrested for obstructing police in Arapahoe County, records show.

I bet the police commissioner, or whatever his title, was reeeally proud of the officer and the and the lieutenant!!!

Wonder what state's records the officer checked????

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southernnana For This Useful Post: