Thread: I'll Have Another NOT Running in Belmont

I'll Have Another NOT Running in Belmont

problem with left hind leg- will be PC today.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Oh no!!! I was truly hoping to see history made tomorrow.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

awwwww

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amandab For This Useful Post:

1978 continues its status as last Triple Crown year; 34 years now.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Unhappy

Just received this breaking news email from local TV station:

Report: I'll Have Another out of the race

Trainer Doug O'Neill made announcement on 'Dan Patrick Show'

Published On: Jun 08 2012 11:42:48 AM EDT Updated On: Jun 08 2012 11:47:00 AM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/R...6/-/index.html

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Most memorable Belmont; greatest horse ever:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFquax2F-k"]Secretariat - Belmont Stakes 1973 - YouTube[/ame]

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I just heard!!!!! NO Triple Crown this year! But on a good note better to be scratched today than have something ugly happen tomorrow.

I am still disappointed though!

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Farm For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Farm View Post
    I just heard!!!!! NO Triple Crown this year! But on a good note better to be scratched today than have something ugly happen tomorrow.

I am still disappointed though!
    Agreed. I immediately thought about Barbaro.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/08/il...kes/?hpt=hp_t1

Dan Patrick Show@dpshow

O’Neill was also asked if I’ll Have Another’s racing career is finished. “If I had to wager…yes,” he said

Doug O'Neill: "I'll Have Another is officially out of the Belmont."

8 Jun 12 Reply

Pete Thamel @PeteThamelNYT

O'Neill said the horse had a "little problem with his left front leg." There's the "start of some tendinitis." Doesn't want to take a chance

8 Jun 12 Reply

Pete Thamel @PeteThamelNYT

O'Neill said of horse's scratch: "Its a bummer but far from tragic." He'll "be seeing a lot of mares and smoking a lot of cigarettes."

8 Jun 12 Reply

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Very saddened by this news. I loved watching I'll Have Another win the Derby and the Preakness, and was so hoping for a Triple Crown. He is a great racehorse. Hopefully, his injury will improve quickly. Cheers to I'll Have Another-may you have a long and happy retirement!!!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjw For This Useful Post:

Thanks wfgodot for posting that clip of Big Red. Just what I needed to cheer me up after the sad news about I'll Have Another. Even though I'm disappointed that IHA won't compete for the crown, I couldn't be happier that his people decided to act in his best interest. It would be nice if more owners and/or trainers put their horses first....

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe91 For This Useful Post:

Oh how sad.. I picked Dullahan in the Kentucky Derby, (placed 3rd)( because he is a come from behind kinda a horse, like Secretariat.) Hubby picked Bodemaster....(placed 2nd) Now Dullahan is favorite!

We never did hear anymore about the trainer that was found dead the next day. They sure hushed that up.
    Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner Fan#1 For This Useful Post:

Here is some useless trivia for you. Paul Reddam was one of my philosophy professors in college. I also worked for him at his stable-farm in Redondo to help pay for my school.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Well, here's something that probably no one here knows about me.

I am a bettor on the ponies. Not a week goes by that I don't wager. I've won big and I've lost big.

I was exercising this morning at around 10:00 am central time and I was watching TVG. I seriously fell off my precor machine when they announced the scratch of IHA.

I am so proud of the connections for taking care of this wonderful horse and not running him with an injury. I am deeply saddened that we won't have a chance at the triple crown, but, hell, there's always next season.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelby1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Here is some useless trivia for you. Paul Reddam was one of my philosophy professors in college. I also worked for him at his stable-farm in Redondo to help pay for my school.

I'm JEALOUS!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shelby1 For This Useful Post:

Some personal trivia regarding the Belmont Stakes -- I grew up in Valley Stream, NY, a little village on Long Island that's located next to Belmont, NY. Belmont Park, where the Triple Crown is run, is located about 10 minutes from my childhood home.

A classmate of mine in High School used to babysit for Ron Turcotte's children-- Ron and his wife and family also lived in Valley Stream at that time.

I was not at Belmont the day Secretariot won, but I often wish that I was. I did see the race on TV, and was there in person the following year when Seattle Slew won (I believe it was the following year).

I am sad that I'll Have Another isn't able to run at Belmont -- what a race it would have been -- but happy that his owner and trainer acted in the horse's best interest and avoided a potential tragedy.
    Last edited by Penelope; 06-09-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added more

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope For This Useful Post:

I am PROUD of the trainers and owners who decided to scratch, and retire, IHA. It's a hard call for a lot of people; but a bowed tendon is nothing to sneeze at. It's an injury now that can be healed from, and IHA can go on and have a great life as a stud, and perhaps as a riding horse in the coming years. But to run a horse on a bowed tendon can be ugly, and can result in devastating injuries.

I know that they can make millions (literally) with him as a stud...his "book" will be full. He'll have 150 or so mares every year for the rest of his life, with stud fees going as high as $100,000...so the owners will make a good deal of money on him that way. The decision to scratch IHA is the best, all the way around, for both horse and owner (and trainer).

And I've bet on the ponies a time or two (ahem) in the past. It's an exciting sport...and I love watching the horses do what they've been bred to do; run fast, fast, fast...like the wind. The sound of a group of horses running; the blur as they pass you; the whole environment to me is a wonderful thing...and yes, I've won some decent money too...

I am sad to not see him run; but it's really, in the end, just a race, and this horse has decades of life left now. If they'd've run him, his life may have been cut short. There is always next year...and while there will be no Triple Crown winner, we can wait for that. Shoot, we've been waiting three and a half decades, what's another year?

Best-
    Herding Cats
    Counting the days...counting the days. Still silent, still neither assenting nor agreeing...action has been initiated. Everything in it's time. First volley SERVED...

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

So glad he will be saved; what a magnificent horse!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Records Show Triple Crown Contender Had History of Ailments

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/sp...it_th_20120713

I’ll Have Another, the horse attempting to become the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years, had physical ailments well before he was withdrawn from the June 9 Belmont Stakes on the eve of the race, and he was being treated with painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs even as anticipation built for his bid at racing history.

According to veterinary records obtained from New York State racing authorities, I’ll Have Another’s front ankles and knees were X-rayed only four days after his triumph May 19 in the Preakness Stakes, the second leg of the Triple Crown. Those X-rays revealed that he had osteoarthritis.

Then, only two days before the Belmont, which I’ll Have Another needed to win to complete his Triple Crown quest, the colt was injected with two powerful painkillers as well as a synthetic joint fluid, the records show.

The next morning, the colt’s trainer, Doug O’Neill, abruptly announced that I’ll Have Another would be retired because of a “freakish” injury involving his left front tendon.
    ------

Those officials are also aware that American racing continues to be among the world’s leaders in the catastrophic breakdown of horses, a fact that will undoubtedly be noted when the United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation holds testimony Thursday on the use of legal and illegal medications in racing and the damage those drugs can do.

Twenty-four horses a week die at the nation’s racetracks, according to an analysis by The Times, and they break down or show signs of injury at the rate of 5.1 per 1,000 starts. This past winter, 30 horses died at Aqueduct racetrack in New York, a 100 percent increase in the fatality rate over the same period the previous year.

Many of the horses had been injected repeatedly with pain medication in the days and weeks before their breakdowns, according to a review of veterinary records by The Times.
    ------

I’ll Have Another was subsequently sold as a stallion for $10 million to a Japanese breeding farm by his owner, Paul Reddam.

More at link....

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Records Show Triple Crown Contender Had History of Ailments

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/sp...it_th_20120713

I’ll Have Another, the horse attempting to become the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years, had physical ailments well before he was withdrawn from the June 9 Belmont Stakes on the eve of the race, and he was being treated with painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs even as anticipation built for his bid at racing history.

According to veterinary records obtained from New York State racing authorities, I’ll Have Another’s front ankles and knees were X-rayed only four days after his triumph May 19 in the Preakness Stakes, the second leg of the Triple Crown. Those X-rays revealed that he had osteoarthritis.

Then, only two days before the Belmont, which I’ll Have Another needed to win to complete his Triple Crown quest, the colt was injected with two powerful painkillers as well as a synthetic joint fluid, the records show.

The next morning, the colt’s trainer, Doug O’Neill, abruptly announced that I’ll Have Another would be retired because of a “freakish” injury involving his left front tendon.
    ------

Those officials are also aware that American racing continues to be among the world’s leaders in the catastrophic breakdown of horses, a fact that will undoubtedly be noted when the United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation holds testimony Thursday on the use of legal and illegal medications in racing and the damage those drugs can do.

Twenty-four horses a week die at the nation’s racetracks, according to an analysis by The Times, and they break down or show signs of injury at the rate of 5.1 per 1,000 starts. This past winter, 30 horses died at Aqueduct racetrack in New York, a 100 percent increase in the fatality rate over the same period the previous year.

Many of the horses had been injected repeatedly with pain medication in the days and weeks before their breakdowns, according to a review of veterinary records by The Times.
    ------

I’ll Have Another was subsequently sold as a stallion for $10 million to a Japanese breeding farm by his owner, Paul Reddam.

More at link....

All I can say is WOW...his trainer does have an iffy reputation. That poor horse! I am still glad he was pulled. It is my opinion that the owner and trainer did not want to risk him breaking down at the Belmont, as the horses run a greater distance in the Stakes than they do in the Derby or the Preakness. So they waited as long as they could and made the decision not to run him (too much of a risk) so they could make money putting him out to stud as you can't breed a dead horse.

Also from page 2 of the NY Times Article:

(Lyons refers to Dr. Sheila Lyons, a veterinarian)

Lyons said the seriousness of the colt’s condition was evident in what occurred in the two days leading to the Belmont. First, she noted, I’ll Have Another received the two large doses of anti-inflammatories and a synthetic joint fluid. Then, the next day, O’Neill, in announcing the horse was being scratched, said I’ll Have Another showed signs of heat and swelling after an early-morning gallop.

“The fact that response was able to present itself in the face of those two powerful anti-inflammatories is just evidence that this was a very significant injury,” said Lyons, the founder and director of the American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation.
    Last edited by Penelope; 07-13-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Added quote

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope For This Useful Post: