Dog drags infant out of bed, kills her

JazzyB

Inactive
Reaction score
One-month-old Kamryn Billingsley was sleeping next to her mother early Monday morning when a dog, a pit bull mix, grabbed the baby and killed her.

The child's mother, 19-year-old Samantha Billingsley, was visiting friends on 21st Avenue in the Shoreline Park community. She told police when it got late, they decided to spend the night.

Billingsley had the baby in bed with her when the unthinkable happened.

At first glance the little dog named Baby doesn't look like it would pose a danger to anyone. Baby is a one year old pit bull mix.

Sheriff Steve Garber says the animal attacked a baby girl as she slept.

"Basically the dog got up on the bed, grabbed the baby by the head, and took the baby out of the bed and drug it down the hall, slinging it around," Garber said.

The attack happened in the middle of the night. Family and friends stood outside in shock telling investigators what happened.

"The mother felt around and did not feel the baby, so she jumped up at that time. That's when she found a blood trail going down the hall. She followed the blood trail and that's where she found her baby."

21 year old Garrard Marquar is the dog's owner. Friends say it usually stays outside, but since it was cold, they brought the dog in.

Why no one heard the attack is a mystery to investigators.

"I guess being about 1:30 in the morning, they must have been in a dead sleep. I would like to think that the baby would have cried out or something. But keep in mind to the dog, this could have been like a play toy," Garber said.

Sheriff's officials are still investigating whether anyone will be charged in the case.

The dog was put down at the Waveland Animal Shelter Monday afternoon. His owner told authorities the dog was given to him when it was a puppy. Sheriff's investigators are trying to contact the previous owner of the dog to see if he had been trained to fight.

You know, I've thought about this. I'm DISGUSTED when I hear another child dead by an animal. HOWEVER, my Grandmother told me one time that she found my mother blue and not breathing when she found the cat laying on her. Whether the cat was jealous OR trying to kill her, I don't know. OBVIOUSLY she survived.

My grandmother never had animals in the home ever again after that though. Instinct???? I don't know. :(

Knowing there was an animal in the house, you'd thin kmom woudl have shut the bedroom door so that the dog could not come in there...
That poor little baby - oh how she must have suffered...

lisag said:
Knowing there was an animal in the house, you'd thin kmom woudl have shut the bedroom door so that the dog could not come in there...
That poor little baby - oh how she must have suffered...

A one year old pit is still basically a puppy; she may not have been afraid of it. I've been around several and as puppies they are usually very friendly and very playful.

These dogs have an inborn instinct to fight other animals, but to "increase" that fighting instinct, I've heard that some breeders feed LEAD to the mother dog while she is pregnant.

kgeaux said:
A one year old pit is still basically a puppy; she may not have been afraid of it. I've been around several and as puppies they are usually very friendly and very playful.

These dogs have an inborn instinct to fight other animals, but to "increase" that fighting instinct, I've heard that some breeders feed LEAD to the mother dog while she is pregnant.

But... I am understanding that she does not live at that house, therefore the dog is not around the baby all the time. I, as a parent, would be concerend to have any "unfamilair" animal around my baby, especially while I am sleeping - unable to keep a close watch.

I cant place blame or fault on this mother. It was a tragic event, but no parent can think of every possible scenario that can go wrong.

No, I don't blame mom either. I am sure she is suffering. I just pointed out how I would feel around an unfamiliar animal- but hindsight is 20/20...
We could all say how WE would have handled things, but we never know until we are in that situation.

I feel for this mother and her baby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back