Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445
Results 1,101 to 1,116 of 1116

Thread: Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 #20

  1. #1101
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    951
    As long as we don't have to eat sunflower seeds..........
    In jail!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nads For This Useful Post:


  3. #1102
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nads View Post
    Ve have vays of making you talk!

    How do you make people tell the truth?
    General Van den Berg - past head of the South African Security Police once said "when I have interrogated a man - then that man can consider himself well and truly interrogated"

    Now I dont say that extreme methods should be used but I do hope the Police are not simply having a tea party with these POI's - I see nothing wrong with using some subtle (and some not so subtle) methods of making things difficult in order to get to the truth ... in most cases people cannot handle the guilt etc and eventually come clean..

    This is only my second post - so please forgive me if I am not doing this right..

    I read somewhere else on these posts that the suspects are more suspicious because they do not seem to be "behaving" as people normally would under the circumstances - there is a lot to this - and I think that is why the case has generated so much interest -

    however its an interesting observation - there are 2 other cases that I have read about where persons came under suspicion because they did not act the way they ought to under the circumstances ;
    1) Joanne Lees ( Peter Falconio Murder)
    2) Lindy Chamberlain

    As we are sleuths does anyone knw more about this tendency?

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Springbok For This Useful Post:


  5. #1103
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    http://www.cmc.qld.gov.au/about-us/our-powers/#hearings

    Coercive hearings power(Star Chamber-Nickname)
    We are the only law enforcement agency in Queensland with the power to conduct coercive hearings, which enable us to compel people to attend and give evidence. This greatly increases our ability to break through the ‘wall of silence’ that frequently characterises major crime and corruption, and get to the truth of matters under investigation.

    Coercive hearings enable investigators to:
    •open, advance or eliminate lines of inquiry
    •tie the witness down to a story
    •test the reliability of a witness
    •test the strength of a witness’s version of an event
    •fill in evidentiary or forensic gaps
    •override the right to silence and the privilege against self-incrimination
    •secure otherwise unobtainable evidence.

    This power enables us to respond to the growing sophistication of organised crime, and to the impact on society of sexual offending against children and other serious crimes that can at times defy ordinary investigative methods. We use our hearings power, not only in our own investigations, but also when police request our assistance with theirs as they do not have the same range of coercive powers.

    As well as the power to compel people to attend and give evidence, we have the power to require the production of documents and other items. This is a vital tool for conducting financial investigations into organised crime and money laundering, and we use it extensively to help in confiscating the proceeds of crime.
    Could this CMC angle be a move to allowing QPS to interview the children? Perhaps up until now QPS have been unable to interview them due to all the legal protections surrounding minors, and GBCs no comment policy? QPS may not have been able to interview them at all until now. The CMC might provide the only forum for that to occur?

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toowong(s) For This Useful Post:


  7. #1104
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
    General Van den Berg - past head of the South African Security Police once said "when I have interrogated a man - then that man can consider himself well and truly interrogated"

    Now I dont say that extreme methods should be used but I do hope the Police are not simply having a tea party with these POI's - I see nothing wrong with using some subtle (and some not so subtle) methods of making things difficult in order to get to the truth ... in most cases people cannot handle the guilt etc and eventually come clean..

    This is only my second post - so please forgive me if I am not doing this right..

    I read somewhere else on these posts that the suspects are more suspicious because they do not seem to be "behaving" as people normally would under the circumstances - there is a lot to this - and I think that is why the case has generated so much interest -

    however its an interesting observation - there are 2 other cases that I have read about where persons came under suspicion because they did not act the way they ought to under the circumstances ;
    1) Joanne Lees ( Peter Falconio Murder)
    2) Lindy Chamberlain

    As we are sleuths does anyone knw more about this tendency?
    I believe all interrogations are now filmed and if the interrogating detectives don't follow certain protocols (including offering food and water at certain intervals), things won't look good in Court.
    *** The above comment is my personal opinion and may be based on known facts or just my imagination ***

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaseClosed For This Useful Post:


  9. #1105
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Nads View Post
    As long as we don't have to eat sunflower seeds..........
    *** The above comment is my personal opinion and may be based on known facts or just my imagination ***

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to CaseClosed For This Useful Post:


  11. #1106
    Quote Originally Posted by Liadan View Post
    peer pressure testing testing.....

    do you think its too much 'mustard' like the C21 jacket tho?
    Have changed my sunflowers to Monet now to avoid confusion.

    Interestingly, the famous Van Gogh sunflowers are said to represent the shortness of life as they include flowers at various stages from full-bloom to dying.

  12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to frustrated detective For This Useful Post:


  13. #1107
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Nads View Post
    As long as we don't have to eat sunflower seeds..........
    Nads, they're good for you.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Makara For This Useful Post:


  15. #1108
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South East Queensland, AU
    Posts
    1,951
    Springbok-
    Not Australian, but Casey Anthony remained silent. Behaved 'inappropriately', as did her family.
    Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
    ― Albert Camus

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to possumheart For This Useful Post:


  17. #1109
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    Nads, they're good for you.
    Did you read about the sunflower seeds in your crystal ball?

    Okay, got the message I'm on my bike
    "We, your family, pledge to you that we will have these questions answered. We will bring you justice, because you deserve nothing less," she said.

  18. #1110
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    857
    From fairly early on I've felt that something else was going to come out of this and I agree that fraud or similar is really likely!! I guess time will tell!

    All MOO of course!

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Humdinger For This Useful Post:


  20. #1111
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseClosed View Post
    I meant intimate homicide. I had read that the percentage of these intimate homicides (not all homicides against women) committed by the partner was around 85%. Will see if I find the link.
    Thanks CC, I don't really doubt the "intimate homicide" stat i.e. for 9 out of 10 intimate homicides, the offender is the partner of the victim. Or call it 85%. I've had a quick look for a link but can't see one. I'm happy to accept that stat.

    I just don't think it is relevant.

    All QPS have stated is that ABC was murdered by someone "known" to her, they have not said it was someone "intimate" to her.

    If it is confirmed by QPS as "intimate homicide" then yes I agree with your opinion that there is a 9 out of 10 (or thereabouts) chance it was the victims partner.

    But all we know as fact is that this was a "homicide", and according to the Aust Gov link I posted earlier, for female homicide victims, offenders fall into the following categories:

    - 53% of offenders are intimates
    - 21% of offenders are family
    - 16% of offenders are friends/acquaintances
    - 6% of offenders are strangers
    - 4 % of offenders are "other" which is defined in the fine print of the webpage as "work colleagues, employee/employer, former employee/employer, gang members, and former gang members"

    So I am sorry to harp on it CC, but I work with numbers and stats in my day job so I am pedantic about these things! Apples with apples and all that...

    If posters are quoting statistics about the likelihood the offender was an intimate partner of ABC, then IMO, 53% is the correct statistic. And there is a 41% chance it was someone else "known" to ABC, and a 6% chance it was a stranger.

    The link again for anyone who missed it: http://www.aic.gov.au/en/statistics/...-offender.aspx
    Last edited by Toowong(s); 06-12-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Whoops... wrong link & a typo!

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toowong(s) For This Useful Post:


  22. #1112
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    19,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Nads View Post
    Actually, Colonel Mustard is Mr Mustard's dad I think.
    So can you tell me, is this a name variation of someone involved in the case? Thanks!

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:


  24. #1113
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Toowong(s) View Post
    Thanks CC, I don't really doubt the "intimate homicide" stat i.e. for 9 out of 10 intimate homicides, the offender is the partner of the victim. Or call it 85%. I've had a quick look for a link but can't see one. I'm happy to accept that stat.

    I just don't think it is relevant.

    All QPS have stated is that ABC was murdered by someone "known" to her, they have not said it was someone "intimate" to her.

    If it is confirmed by QPS as "intimate homicide" then yes I agree with your opinion that there is a 9 out of 10 (or thereabouts) chance it was the victims partner.

    But all we know as fact is that this was a "homicide", and according to the Aust Gov link I posted earlier, for female homicide victims, offenders fall into the following categories:

    - 53% of offenders are intimates
    - 21% of offenders are family
    - 16% of offenders are friends/acquaintances
    - 6% of offenders are strangers
    - 4 % of offenders are "other" which is defined in the fine print of the webpage as "work colleagues, employee/employer, former employee/employer, gang members, and former gang members"

    So I am sorry to harp on it CC, but I work with numbers and stats in my day job so I am pedantic about these things! Apples with apples and all that...

    If posters are quoting statistics about the likelihood the offender was an intimate partner of ABC, then IMO, 53% is the correct statistic. And there is a 41% chance it was someone else "known" to ABC, and a 6% chance it was a stranger.

    The link again for anyone who missed it: http://www.aic.gov.au/en/statistics/...-offender.aspx
    Yes, presented the way you have (i.e. 53%), I agree.
    *** The above comment is my personal opinion and may be based on known facts or just my imagination ***

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to CaseClosed For This Useful Post:


  26. #1114
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,427
    No CM news this morning. I'm off ... Good Nite all.
    *** The above comment is my personal opinion and may be based on known facts or just my imagination ***

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to CaseClosed For This Useful Post:


  28. #1115
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
    Mouse Detective........what does your official title of "Sleuth in Training" mean?
    SEEKING : - Simply that I am a beginner at this web-sleuthing. Still getting to know the ropes. I can think laterally but learning each day about how to gather information. I have been astounded at what type information can be gathered from the internet when a group of people join forces together. ( also a lot of rubbish out there too!!)

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mouse detective For This Useful Post:


  30. #1116
    Kimster's Avatar
    Kimster is offline WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Google Earth
    Posts
    34,917
    Pack your bags. New thread here ----> [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8039506#post8039506"]Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #21 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

    This one is about to close.


    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UzyNJj4OUD...0/Luggage1.jpg
    ************************************************

    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
    www.twitter.com/kimsterws


    In memory of Ron Pruitt

  31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:


Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445

Similar Threads

  1. Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #10
    By SoSueMe in forum Allison Baden-Clay General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 1581
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
  2. Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #7
    By Kimster in forum Allison Baden-Clay General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 1108
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
  3. Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #4
    By bessie in forum Allison Baden-Clay General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 1123
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM
  4. Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #3
    By Salem in forum Allison Baden-Clay General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 866
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
  5. Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 #2
    By Salem in forum Allison Baden-Clay General Discussion Threads
    Replies: 1140
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 03:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •