Mother & Son Separated, 25-year global search

noZme

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120610/D9VA2RB80.html[/FONT]

https://www.facebook.com/#!/KhandwaMyHomeTown

"Saroo's eyes snapped open and everything was suddenly, horribly, wrong.

The 5-year-old's tiny body was still curled up on the hard wooden seat of the Indian train, just as it was when he'd drifted off to sleep. The rattle of the train was loud and steady, just as it always was when he rode home with his big brother, Guddu. But Guddu was not there. And the alien landscape flashing past the window looked nothing like home."

Apparently the brother had fallen from the train & died. This little boy begged on the streets of Calcutta until taken into an orphanage & eventually adopted to Australia. As a university student, he searched Google Earth looking for landmarks he remembered near his home which led him to the name of a town & eventually to a Facebook page...... 2 part series, more tomorrow.

I just opened Google Earth to do some sleuthing and it came up with Saroo's story about how he used GE to find his original home in India. The film "Lion" about Saroo's life is released in the USA tomorrow (but I'll have to wait til January, booo!). This story has fascinated me from the start, I can't wait to see it!

Just watched Lion over the weekend, WOW, what an amazing movie! And the clip at the end was the icing on the cake! I just felt so horrible for him the whole time, he must have been so scared after finding the train station deserted and then not being able to find his big brother on the train - and then waking up in the train, hurtling through unfamiliar territory! He must have been ridiculously strong.

The movie made me laugh, cry and everything in between. If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it!!!

Just watched Lion over the weekend, WOW, what an amazing movie! And the clip at the end was the icing on the cake! I just felt so horrible for him the whole time, he must have been so scared after finding the train station deserted and then not being able to find his big brother on the train - and then waking up in the train, hurtling through unfamiliar territory! He must have been ridiculously strong.

The movie made me laugh, cry and everything in between. If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it!!!

I still haven't seen it as only just got a copy of the book, which I want to read first.

Mods, please can we change the thread title to include Saroo's name and maybe Lion?

Normally, if it was any other movie I would say read the book first. But for this one I definitely think you should watch the movie and then read the book, as the movie makes a much bigger impact than the book. It's one thing to read it but to see what happens in the end is just amazing and you can't see the magnitude of how brilliant it is if you read the ending. Then once you read it, it'll spoil the movie because you know what will happen. Definitely watch the movie before the book! I am so glad I did it in that order. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back