Hundreds evacuated as Colo., NM fires grow

Reader

Reaction score
http://centurylink.net/news/read.ph...ass&action=1&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L1_UNEWS

LAPORTE, Colo. (AP) — Firefighters on Sunday were fighting wildfires that have spread quickly in parched forests in Colorado and New Mexico, forcing hundreds of people from their homes and the evacuation of wolves from a sanctuary.

The Colorado fire, burning in a mountainous area about 15 miles west of Fort Collins, grew to 22 square miles within about a day of being reported and has destroyed or damaged 18 structures.

Strong winds, meanwhile, grounded aircraft fighting a 40-square-mile wildfire near the mountain community of Ruidoso in southern New Mexico. Crews were still working to build a fire line around the fire, which started Friday and has damaged or destroyed 36 structures.

More at link......

My daughter lives in Colorado but not in the area of the fire. It is so big she said she can both see and smell the smoke. Hoping everyone can be safe.

Yes, we had air quality advisories from the area of the fire all the way down to Colorado Springs.

Still no word on the Wolf Sanctuary inhabitants, just waiting, but word is we will not know until tomorrow afternoon at the soonest. The radio tower on Buckhorn Mountain has not been engulfed, so that is a bit promising as it sits by the sanctuary.

One confirmed dead this evening in fire, they should be releasing her name tonight...Very very sad...

Still Zero containment, however they have gained some ground or so they are saying... we can just wait and HOPE...
IMHO

How terrible, daughter said this morning she felt like she was in a campfire.This is so scary.

Portabella where exactly is the sanctuary? I have not seen one thing mentioned about it.

The sanctuary is on more than 180 acres in the Rocky Mountains, about 20 miles northwest of Fort Collins, Colo., according to the website.
link

http://www.wolfsanctuary.net/ Per link, Laporte.

Hubby & I support Wild Animal Sanctuary in Keenseburg. I imagine they could help with the animals if needed. http://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/animals/species.html

Volunteer Paul Asby, who has volunteered at the sanctuary with his wife for four years, said director Frank Wenland remains with the animals and has provided fire dens and some form of protection for the animals that were unable to be evacuated. At least 11 of the wolf hybrids were moved Saturday, he said.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...5/W-O-L-F-Sanctuary-animals-try-ride-out-fire

UPDATE AS OF TUESDAY: The fire dens - or underground concrete bunkers - that were built in 2011 are working. Monday afternoon, the Wolf Sanctuary workers were able to get into the facility and check in on the animals at the sanctuary. Though there is slight fire damage to the property, the fire has not affected the enclosures. They were not able to evacuate more animals, but they were able to bring in more food and water.
link

Thanks so much Seek&Find, somehow I missed all that. The wollf Santuary link will not work but I am going to search it. The underground concrete bunkers? What an idea!

Thanks so much Seek&Find, somehow I missed all that. The wollf Santuary link will not work but I am going to search it. The underground concrete bunkers? What an idea!

You're welcome! I'll check the link. Yeah, the Wild Animal Sanctuary has used those den structures for years. They maintain a mild temperature in cold or hot weather and aid in hibernation (for the bears) too. Ironically, I have 9 News on and they just said they'd have an update on the wolves after the break! I'll post if they have it before I have to run out. Eta: ok, update is same as info posted above.

We also provide temperature controlled dens for all other animals—whether they need it or not. Our Bears hibernate all winter in their own special underground dens, and all the other animals living in our large acreage habitats have dens as well that stay 60 degrees year-round, so they can go inside if they need to during bad weather. The Lions, Leopards and Tigers adapt very well to our winter conditions, and only go inside their warm dens during really bad storms.
link

Shameless plug: Wild Animal Sanctuary just opened their Mile Into the Wild walkway to the Bolivian lions they rescued. Jessica Biel also donates there.

Re: the fire, our beetle killed trees are fueling the fire per 9 News.

The link ended up working, so interesting and of course sad as to how many of them ended up there. That means they will go right into those dens if danger poses as they are used to them. Just talked to daughter, she said wind has shifted and not as smokey now where she is. All day at work she said everyone was hacking only adding to allergies!
At this point let's hope for rain!

New evacuation orders....fire has shifted directions, now heading towards Red Feather.
http://www.9news.com/news/article/272008/339/New-evacuation-orders-for-High-Park-Fire

My animals are having issues. I have a dog that suffers from Congestive heart failure, he has been coughing and runny eyes. My Chiweenie has been having spasmodic coughing and eyes constantly running. And my old Malamutes eyes are red and having trouble too. The cats are taking the smoke very well however. My kids and I are having allergy issues with it, red burning eyes and lots of congestion.

I am so relieved to hear they finally got in yesterday and the wolves were okay so far. One cabin on the property did burn, but at least the wolves have held up so far. I thank God for the brave fireman out there working their butts off. Will keep you all updated. Its five percent contained for now, lets hope that number grows or at least does not drop back off. No rain in sight...:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back