Skin Cancer Awareness: Protect Your Skin

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
I have none of the risk factors, my skin is not lighter and there is no skin cancer in my family history, yet this morning while at the dermatologist for a followup on an allergic reaction to Mary Kay cosmetics, I had a pre-cancerous lesion removed from the bridge of my nose. I did not go there expecting to have this done but I am grateful that the doctor caught it and took care of it. Do self exams and if you have any thought that a mole or spot is suspicious, have it checked out. Please.

Risk Factors

Anyone can get skin cancer, but some things put you at higher risk, like having—
•A lighter natural skin color.
•A personal history of skin cancer.
•A family history of melanoma.
•Exposure to the sun through work and play.
•A history of sunburns early in life.
•Skin that burns, freckles, reddens easily, or becomes painful in the sun.
•Blue or green eyes.
•Naturally blond or red hair.

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/SkinCancer/

Pictures of skin cancers and precancerous lesions [may be a little alarming to some] I had #7 but it is now gone. :)
http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_cancer_pictures_slideshow/article.htm

I am very glad that you got it removed...skin cancer, in it's worst form, can kill you. Most of the time, it's easily resolved with bit of a snip and clip at the dermatologists; it is no big deal and is easily handled at first.

So, like Jacie says, do the self checks, see a dermatologist once in a while even if you see nothing yourself (because there are parts of the body you can't see...that are still skin covered...and potential sites for skin cancer to develop), use sunscreen, and wear long sleeves and a hat when out in the sun for any length of time.

Jacie, I'm very glad you caught it, and he clipped it. I've had a few spots done years ago, and have a few spots that need a derm's eyeball on. Thanks for the reminder...(I'm just ever so reluctant to see another dr right now...sigh).

Best-
Herding Cats

I am very glad that you got it removed...skin cancer, in it's worst form, can kill you. Most of the time, it's easily resolved with bit of a snip and clip at the dermatologists; it is no big deal and is easily handled at first.

So, like Jacie says, do the self checks, see a dermatologist once in a while even if you see nothing yourself (because there are parts of the body you can't see...that are still skin covered...and potential sites for skin cancer to develop), use sunscreen, and wear long sleeves and a hat when out in the sun for any length of time.

Jacie, I'm very glad you caught it, and he clipped it. I've had a few spots done years ago, and have a few spots that need a derm's eyeball on. Thanks for the reminder...(I'm just ever so reluctant to see another dr right now...sigh).

Best-
Herding Cats

Thank you. I was surprised but am now happy it is done. I go back for a followup and right now my nose is puffy but not painful. It was such an easy procedure; when he first said he wuld remove it, I was envisioning cutting instruments and blood and gore. :D Instead it was a tiny needle stick and snipping. SO much better than treatment for cancer down the line.

I'm glad you have an astute dermatologist.

I'm moley, have blond hair & blue, and my skin burns and freckles. I wear 60 spf all the time, and haven't had any sort of tan since I was 16. I'm sure my skin is being damaged regardless, because I have developed several new moles in recent years. I have gone to several different dermatologists and none will remove any of my moles and have not mentioned to me which ones to keep an eye on. Two have told me not to be so conceited! I'm only 37, but I fully expect I am going to die from skin cancer at some point.

I'm glad you have an astute dermatologist.

I'm moley, have blond hair & blue, and my skin burns and freckles. I wear 60 spf all the time, and haven't had any sort of tan since I was 16. I'm sure my skin is being damaged regardless, because I have developed several new moles in recent years. I have gone to several different dermatologists and none will remove any of my moles and have not mentioned to me which ones to keep an eye on. Two have told me not to be so conceited! I'm only 37, but I fully expect I am going to die from skin cancer at some point.

Be persistent with the doctors, please don't give up. I'm thinking that you live in Canada and I know, having spent some time in an Ontario hospital for a Brown Recluse Spider bite, that the healthcare system is vastly different than in the US. Get a referral, if you can, even if you have to wait. I was not expecting to have this treatment today, didn't even think that the brown spot on my nose was a problem. I can tell you that this evening I am relieved. I'm sorry that you have to deal with the doctor's attitudes. Good luck.

Skin Cancer Diagnosis

An Introduction to Skin Cancer Biopsies and StagingAn early warning sign of skin cancer is a new, suspicious looking lesion on your skin. Fortunately, there is no reason to panic, since most skin blemishes are not cancerous.

To determine if the lesion is cancerous or not, the doctor or nurse will usually first discuss your medical history to determine your risk factors, including the history of skin cancer in your family and the number of prior sunburns. A skin examination will follow, during which the doctor will note the size, shape, color, and texture of the suspicious area. He or she will then examine your lymph glands to check for swelling, a potential sign of cancer.

http://skincancer.about.com/od/diagnosis/a/diagnosis.htm

This morning my nose and around my eyes are swollen. I just cleaned the site with peroxide and there is zero infection/inflammation, which is a good thing. The best thing is that if there were any possibility of skin cancer there, it is gone. It really isn't so bad to have lesions or moles or anything else suspicious removed and the best part is not having to deal with cancer later. Have a good day and if something on your skin doesn't look right GET IT CHECKED. The peace of mind I have right now is priceless.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist but it's not until October. That's the soonest I could get. I'm in the US. It's crazy how long it takes to get in. I can get in with my primary care provider (or at least a physician's assistant) pretty fast, but the endocrinologist or dermatologist? Forget it. Not sure why.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist but it's not until October. That's the soonest I could get. I'm in the US. It's crazy how long it takes to get in. I can get in with my primary care provider (or at least a physician's assistant) pretty fast, but the endocrinologist or dermatologist? Forget it. Not sure why.

I think one of the advantages for us living in a small town is that we have a medical complex that consists of about a dozen doctors and you can call and be seen that day. If there is any problem that needs further treatment they refer you immediately. I have seen people go there for an issue and be sent immediately for surgery or more detailed treatment. Our complex covers NW South Dakota and NE Wyoming and they are awesome.

Skin Cancer Diagnosis

An Introduction to Skin Cancer Biopsies and StagingAn early warning sign of skin cancer is a new, suspicious looking lesion on your skin. Fortunately, there is no reason to panic, since most skin blemishes are not cancerous.

To determine if the lesion is cancerous or not, the doctor or nurse will usually first discuss your medical history to determine your risk factors, including the history of skin cancer in your family and the number of prior sunburns. A skin examination will follow, during which the doctor will note the size, shape, color, and texture of the suspicious area. He or she will then examine your lymph glands to check for swelling, a potential sign of cancer.

http://skincancer.about.com/od/diagnosis/a/diagnosis.htm

There are so many different types of skin cancer and the appearance can vary greatly.There are some that look nasty but are completely benign and vice versa.
My dad died of secondary melanoma 5 yrs ago so our family is at greater risk. When my youngest DD was only 18 mths old She had a suspicious mole on her back that was changing rapidly. A core biopsy showed it was a spitz nevus (aka Juvenille benign melanoma. Pheeeew!)
We have been watching changes in my 8 yr olds mole on her foot/ankle. It doesn't pass the ABCDE test and she has an appt at the skin cancer clinic next week.

There's an app called doctor mole that you can use to track any changes in moles/lesions, and will tell you if it's high or low risk. While it's a good tool, it should never replace the advice of a medical professional.

And always get a second opinion. The first doc my dad saw about his mole said it was nothing to be alarmed about, but the second opinion showed it was melanoma that had spread to various lymph nodes. Years later it returned as a basket ball sized tumor in his gut.

Here's an example of a deadly melanoma that I'm sure most people wouldn't think was suspect.

http://podiatrym.com/pmphotos/Melanoma (500 x 375).jpg

There are so many different types of skin cancer and the appearance can vary greatly.There are some that look nasty but are completely benign and vice versa.
My dad died of secondary melanoma 5 yrs ago so our family is at greater risk. When my youngest DD was only 18 mths old She had a suspicious mole on her back that was changing rapidly. A core biopsy showed it was a spitz nevus (aka Juvenille benign melanoma. Pheeeew!)
We have been watching changes in my 8 yr olds mole on her foot/ankle. It doesn't pass the ABCDE test and she has an appt at the skin cancer clinic next week.

There's an app called doctor mole that you can use to track any changes in moles/lesions, and will tell you if it's high or low risk. While it's a good tool, it should never replace the advice of a medical professional.

And always get a second opinion. The first doc my dad saw about his mole said it was nothing to be alarmed about, but the second opinion showed it was melanoma that had spread to various lymph nodes. Years later it returned as a basket ball sized tumor in his gut.

Here's an example of a deadly melanoma that I'm sure most people wouldn't think was suspect.

http://podiatrym.com/pmphotos/Melanoma (500 x 375).jpg

BBM I hope that everything goes well for your daughter and your family next week.

Well, it isn't a week yet since I had the slicing and dicing on the bridge of my nose and I am happy that everything is OK except for the surgical area right now. I have a spot that is between the size of a nickel and a quarter that is itching like crazy. I also feel like I have that area Crazy Glued. The swelling isn't too bad anymore but I still have a 'shiner'. I'm working in the garden at 5am because the sun isn't up yet but it is light enough out. [venting over]

There's a bit of controversy going on in Oz atm about adding Vit D to foods to prevent definciency for people who don't spend enough time in the sun.

Oz has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world, yet a lot of refugees who require more time in the sun to get the required amount of Vit D naturally, are lacking.

We have a LOT of PSA's about skin cancer awareness here yet I still see so many caucasions basting themselves with oil instead of sunscreen at the beaches.

Thanks for spreading awareness and hope everything goes well for you.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/die...vitamin-d-a-food-additive-20120611-2064m.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back