GUILTY AL - Brent, 62, & Charlotte Springford, 60, found murdered, 25 Nov 2004

Another link

wsfa

WSFA 12 News has confirmed that Brent Springford, Jr., the son of Brent and Charlotte Springford of Montgomery, has been arrested in Colorado.

Springford, Jr. has been the lone suspect in the murders of his parents over the Thanksgiving holiday. They were found dead in their Montgomery home the day after Thanksgiving.

December 15, 5:43pm
Springford Hearing Moved To January

Accused double murderer Brent Springford, Jr. was in a Colorado courtroom on Wednesday for an extradition hearing, but there is no decision to report.

Lawyers decided the hearing should have been in district court not county court. A new extradition hearing for Springford is set for January 14th in Colorado. He is accused of killing his parents Brent and Charlotte Springford over the Thanksgiving holiday in Montgomery.
- http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=2698182&nav=0RdEUFOK

Montgomery is my home town, where I met my husband, where we went to jr high and high school together, and where friends from school still live. It's strange now to see those streets and areas named when reporting on a murder case.

Murder suspect to stay for now
Chris Casey
January 15, 2005
BOULDER -- Double-murder suspect Brent Springford Jr. of Windsor will remain in Boulder County Jail for another month while lawyers continue wrangling over his extradition to Alabama.

In a review hearing Friday afternoon, Boulder District Court Judge Carol Glowinsky ordered the defense to disclose more details about the nature of their complaint against the extradition.

The next hearing is set Feb. 17 in Boulder District Court.
--->>

http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050115/NEWS/101150039&rs=2

This happened one hour from where I live, and my father and stepmom live in Montgomery. This was just awful. I hope they get that son back here soon...prayers for Robin Springford Crouch, the surviving daughter.

englishleigh said:
This happened one hour from where I live, and my father and stepmom live in Montgomery. This was just awful. I hope they get that son back here soon...prayers for Robin Springford Crouch, the surviving daughter.

Just jumping in to this thread but don't you know Robin is beside herself now. She must feel glad that she wasn't there when her parents were murdered or she could have been included in that scenario. In any case, her reality is very painful right now and I will send prayers for her peace.

I'll be in the Montgomery area this week and I'll ask friends there if there's anymore info available than what I've been able to find online.

January 27, 2005
Slain couple's wills probated

A probate hearing in the estate of a slain Montgomery couple went smoothly Wednesday, despite the fact that one of their beneficiaries is accused in their murder.

The wills of Winston "Brent" and Charlotte Springford were probated in a brief hearing in Judge Reese McKinney's courtroom Wednesday morning. Will O'Rear, legal representative for the probate office, said the couple's daughter, Robin Springford Crouch, raised no objections.--->>

The wills split the estate equally between Crouch and her brother. --->>

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/specialreports/springford/storyV5SPRINGFORD0127W.htm

The Montgomery Advertiser has a page following the case developments:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/specialreports/springford/

May 9, 2005
Springford to forego preliminary hearing
Montgomery Advertiser
MONTGOMERY - Defense lawyers for murder suspect Brent Springford Jr. have waived a preliminary hearing in the case, clearing the road for an indictment in the November slayings of his parents, Winston "Brent" and Charlotte Springford.

Montgomery County District Attorney Ellen Brooks said today that the next step in Springford's case would be an indictment by a grand jury. However, prosecutors are still awaiting reports from the backlogged Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences.

Once the reports are received, Springford's case can move forward, Brooks said.

"We are in constant communication with forensics on their reports," Brooks said. "As soon as those are in, the case will be docketed for the grand jury
." --->>

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5/storyV5break09.htm

November 26, 2005
Year-old slaying case stalled

By Crystal Bonvillian
Montgomery Advertiser

Not much has changed outside the brick two-story home at 1944 S. Hull St. where Winston "Brent" Springford and Charlotte Springford were bludgeoned to death last Thanksgiving.

Gardeners and maintenance men still tend to the property. At night, lights can sometimes be seen shining through the home's windows. Nothing distinguishes the house from others in this wealthy neighborhood except memories of the horror that unfolded there Nov. 25, 2004.

Today is the first anniversary of the double-slaying, which sent shockwaves through the city's Garden District. Part of that shock came from the identity of the suspect in the case -- the Springfords' only son, Brent Springford Jr.

Springford Jr., 29, is being held at the Montgomery County jail on two counts of capital murder.

Montgomery County District Attorney Ellen Brooks said Wednesday that the Springford case has stalled as her office awaits reports from the backlogged Department of Forensic Sciences.

"There has also been no ruling as of yet on the state's motion for a mental evaluation, which was filed a short time after Mr. Springford's arrest," Brooks said.

Springford allegedly suffers from bipolar disorder.

Neighbor Helen Hines said she was shocked when she found out that Springford Jr. was believed to have killed his parents.

"I knew the boy when he was little," Hines said. "He seemed normal to me. I don't know about the other neighbors, but it definitely shocked me."--->>

Hines and fellow neighbor Janet Driscoll said people ask them often about updates in the Springford case, which generated national publicity when it occurred.

"I think a lot of people are just wondering what's happening," Driscoll said.

The Springford case is not the only case on hold. Brooks recently said her office has about 40 pending homicide cases, many of which are awaiting forensic evidence.

Taylor Noggle, director of the state forensics department, told the Montgomery Advertiser last month that his department has a backlog of about 1,700 DNA cases, 12,000 drug cases, 2,000 toxicology cases and 200 firearms evidence cases.

Meanwhile, Springford Jr. remains in jail as what's left of his family tries to move on.--->>

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051125/NEWS/511250302/1001

Plea is not guilty by reason of insanity:

January 18, 2007
Springford pleads not guilty
By Nigel Duara
Montgomery Advertiser
The son of a prominent Montgomery couple found slain in their Cloverdale home pleaded not guilty today to killing his parents.

Brent Springford Jr. pled not guilty by reason of insanity in Montgomery Circuit Court. --->>

Springford, wearing an orange jump suit, appeared in court with a long beard and long hair. His attorney said he has been treated with psychotropic drugs since his imprisonment.--->>

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070117/NEWS/70117007/1001

LP, its that bipolar defense again. I am not convinced that bipolar qualifies for insanity unless it is coupled with some other serious mental illness excluding personality disorder.

I guess I believe it is too convenient for defense attornies.

From August 2015:

http://www.boulderweekly.com/article-14787-the-springford-murders.html

In a case that made national headlines nearly a decade ago, Brent Springford brutally murdered his affluent and doting parents, Winston “Brent” Sr. and Charlotte Springford, at their home in Montgomery, Alabama, on Thanksgiving Day in 2004. Just two weeks later, Brent — who was living in Windsor, Colorado, at the time — was arrested in Louisville at Centennial Peaks Hospital where he had admitted himself for psychiatric evaluation.

The 28-year-old Brent confessed then, in painstaking detail, to parricide, first to hospital staff and then to law officers. After defense attorneys spent four years arguing that a documented history of treatment for bipolar disorder should spare the young man from a death sentence, Brent was ultimately sentenced to life in prison without parole in 2008.

But tragedy knows no bounds in this story: Brent consumed a lethal dose of Tylenol and overdosed in October of 2013 in Donaldson Correctional Facility near Bessemer, Alabama. He was 37 years old when he died.

Resurrecting this post because a new book has been written about this called Drifting Into Darkness. My daughter attended high school with Brent. I live in Montgomery. The book is a must read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back