UK UK - Baby boy, on the riverbank, Kirkham, Lancs, Sept 2011

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
‘Be at peace, sweet child’: Villagers give poignant funeral
to mystery baby whose body was found dumped in a brook
(Daily Mail)
A funeral has been held for a baby boy whose body was found dumped in a ditch and whose identify still remains unknown.

The boy, around a month old, was born full term but was abandoned on the banks of a stream last October.

His body, wrapped in an Asda fleece, was discovered by a dog walker in a remote rural area of Kirkham, Lancs.
---
Last night a 5pm burial service was held for the unnamed youngster at St Michael’s Parish Church, Kirkham after locals clubbed together to pay for the ceremony.
---
DCI [Andrea] Barrow said: 'Some cases get to you, and this is one. But we will never give up hope of learning how the little boy came to be placed in this remote area.

'It was so far off the beaten track, it could have only been known to someone familiar with the locality.'
---
much more, with poignant pictures, at link above

I am confused. It says that the baby was about a month old, but later on they say that they don't even know if he lived after birth.

Was it supposed to say that he was there by the brook for a month before they found him?

I am confused. It says that the baby was about a month old, but later on they say that they don't even know if he lived after birth.

Was it supposed to say that he was there by the brook for a month before they found him?
Not sure. The Mail, while it does offer wide coverage of scores of events, is not strong on its editing. The first version of the article I found there and linked to did not include the "don't know if he lived after birth" line.

ETA

Here's the BBC Lancashire article:
---
The boy, who was thought to be no more than a few weeks old, was found in Spen Brook, off Carr Lane, Kirkham, on 1 October last year.
---
Detectives believe the baby was no more than a month old and had been born at full-term.
---
Kirkham stream baby death: Funeral held for boy

Okay, I was just wondering. Maybe they really couldn't tell if he was a few weeks old or if he was only a few hours old when he died.

The picture of the pallbearer carrying the coffin just broke my heart. It seems like this was the kind of community where the mother could have left little one on a doorstep, and no one would have minded a bit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back