Wallenda Attempts Walk Across Niagara Falls on tightrope. Friday 6/15/2012

I'm going to...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
What a bonehead. Since I live in upstate New York I love Niagara Falls related stuff. I've been on the maid of the mist and have seen the falls from the Canadian side many times. I also took a speed boat type thing that went up the Niagara river to the whirlpool and back, it was cool as hell. It's breath taking. What's really amazing is that the amount of water you see going over the falls is about half of what went over them before the old power station was installed by Tesla, IIRC. A lot of the water is diverted by a new power plant.

Also, in the 60's (?) they shut off the falls because it was beginning to break up, move upstream quickly, and leave large rocks at the bottom. They reinforced it so it wouldn't wear back as quickly. So all of the people who went over the falls in barrels were doing so before the falls started breaking up and now the people going over have large rocks to hit. That's why not many people do it anymore. Well that and it's illegal.

All of that is from memory so please forgive me if I have some facts wrong. I'm sure they'll cover a lot of what I said in the pre-show on ABC at 8pm EST.

Anyhoo, what a bonehead.

It appears there's a pre show at 8pm for an hour about daredevil stunts at the falls in history. Then the Wallenda thing is from 9-11. Of course his walk will probably occur at 10:30 and all of the other stuff will build up.

Evidently ABC is making him wear a safety harness so watching him plunge to his death is out of the question. Which is good, I suppose. :waitasec:

I will note that everyone who does this kind of thing uses a tightrope. I wanna see someone try it on a loose rope. :giggle:

Evidently ABC is making him wear a safety harness so watching him plunge to his death is out of the question. Which is good, I suppose. :waitasec:

I will note that everyone who does this kind of thing uses a tightrope. I wanna see someone try it on a loose rope. :giggle:

BBM
That's quite a relief! I'm terrified of heights, so I definitely will not watch. Just thinking about it gives me the willies. :eek:hwow:

I went on the Maid of the Mist many years back. That's about as daring as I get.

BBM
That's quite a relief! I'm terrified of heights, so I definitely will not watch. Just thinking about it gives me the willies. :eek:hwow:

I went on the Maid of the Mist many years back. That's about as daring as I get.

I'm terrified of heights too, but that's why I want to watch it. Things that scare me like: heights, snakes, alligators, lions etc. are cool to watch on TV. I know I'm safe and I might see an idiot make a fool of himself. JMO

I can tell you that I CANNOT WAIT for this to be over! LOL I'm sooooo sick of hearing about it. I live 20 minutes away from the falls, and I'm soooo ready for the region to move on.

I'm watching them test the safety buckets on webcam. I bet he takes the harness off when he gets up there! HA. He really didn't want it. It would make it way more interesting.

I can tell you that I CANNOT WAIT for this to be over! LOL I'm sooooo sick of hearing about it. I live 20 minutes away from the falls, and I'm soooo ready for the region to move on.

I'm watching them test the safety buckets on webcam. I bet he takes the harness off when he gets up there! HA. He really didn't want it. It would make it way more interesting.

I know I'm sick for thinking this, but it's a Darwin Award if someone tries something like this and passes on. They add a little chlorine to the gene pool.

On the plus side it's great for the economy of Buffalo and Niagara Falls, Canada.

I wonder how the weight of his passport will affect him? :waitasec:

I know I'm sick for thinking this, but it's a Darwin Award if someone tries something like this and passes on. They add a little chlorine to the gene pool.

On the plus side it's great for the economy of Buffalo and Niagara Falls, Canada.

I wonder how the weight of his passport will affect him? :waitasec:

Haha. Maybe he has an enhanced license tucked into his pocket? Considerably lighter.

You're in Rochester, so you feel my pain! I'm in the suburbs of Buffalo. I might have missed something because I'ev been tuning it out so much, but why is he doing it in the dark? Just to make it scarier? Because HE'S WEARING A HARNESS! No matter what happens, nothing is going to happen.

I was (against my will) reading an article listing all the dead Wellendas. I think I'd move and change my last name. It's crazy how they just keep doing it.

There's a rumor that ABC told him that if he finds the harness annoying he's allowed to take it off.

Please keep this thread updated as you watch... I can't get a feed to work to watch it on the iPad, and after reading an article where some think he won't make it, I'm dying to know what happens lol...

Please keep this thread updated as you watch... I can't get a feed to work to watch it on the iPad, and after reading an article where some think he won't make it, I'm dying to know what happens lol...

That rope has to be slick.

niagara-falls-horseshoe.jpg

LOL I'm sure you're not going to miss anything!

The webcams I've been watching are starting to buffer and error out like crazy. I guess I wasn't the only one with this idea. Not that you can see anything, anyway. I just wanted to watch the set up.

20 minutes until it starts! What if he has to pee up there? Do you think that changes anything?

he is supposed to start in 21 mins, they are interviewing him right now

The righteousness of God and Christ give him the confidence to do this. :rolleyes:

LOL I'm sure you're not going to miss anything!

The webcams I've been watching are starting to buffer and error out like crazy. I guess I wasn't the only one with this idea. Not that you can see anything, anyway. I just wanted to watch the set up.

20 minutes until it starts! What if he has to pee up there? Do you think that changes anything?

BBM

That'd be hysterical to see him take a whiz up there. :laughcry:

Supposedly, when they come back he'll be making the walk. He said he doesn't like the harness, he's never worn one before.

BBM

That'd be hysterical to see him take a whiz up there. :laughcry:

Supposedly, when they come back he'll be making the walk. He said he doesn't like the harness, he's never worn one before.

I know, did you see his face? He was practically rolling his eyes. It's like it pained him to talk about the harness.

This webcam had a really clear picture. Now it's not loading for me.
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/niagara_falls_webcam.htm

This one is still working but it's not clear enough to see the wire. http://www.earthcam.com/canada/niagarafalls/

Here we go!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail