FL FL - Sun City Center, WhtMale 501UMFL, 55-65, near golf course, Feb'02

KateB

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/501umfl.html (more photos at link.)
501UMFL5.jpg

The victim was located on February 15, 2002, in the Underbrush near the 9th green of Caloosa Country Club. He is believed to have been homeless. There were signs of a vagrant camp nearby.
Estimated age: 55 - 65 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; weight unknown
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair. Evidence of old (healed) facial trauma near the right eye.
Dentals: All teeth missing well prior to death.
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5285

Please compare to: Leslie Raymond Ritchey

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/177
LKA: April 01,1993
Age LKA 56
Height: 68.0
Weight: 150.0
Leslie was last seen in the 40 block of Main St in Akron Ohio. At the time, he was homeless. He normally contacts a relative in Pennsylvania or Florida, but has not done this. At the time of his disappearance, Leslie was suffering from severe memory loss. Leslie has an artificial left eye. Leslie wears dentures.

The eye trauma is in the wrong eye on the UID I realize now, but will post this anyway. This is my first one to suggest, so welcome all comments.

One of your links is a Jane Doe.

Here is the correct link for LRR.
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5285

The MP has dentures, the UID has no teeth so it could match. It is conceivable to me that an accident that left someone with an artificial left eye could have caused skeletal damage near the other eye as well. Given that there is nearly 10 years between the LKA date and the estimated date of death he could have acquired additional injuries after he disappeared (but then so could everybody else). It doesn't look like they found an artificial eye near the remains but it's possible he didn't have it on when he died or maybe the remains were scattered enough that they didn't find everything. LRR has a relative in Florida so that might explain how he ended up from Ohio to Florida. It's a bit difficult to compare facial resemblance between a photo in which he is presumably wearing dentures and toothless sketches of the UID.

The UID is in Codis but LRR has no DNA sample at the time so they would have to get that in order to rule it in or out, unless LRR has some unlisted skeletal findings they definitely didn't find in the UID.

Edit: does anyone know why LRR's Charley link has been removed? Some forums and Charley January 2009 updates page link to http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/ritchey_leslie.html but that page does not exist.

Thanks Donjeta for correcting the link and sharing your thoughts. I see I also left out the Sr. to his name. He is Leslie Raymond Ritchey, Sr.

Bobby Clyatt bears a strong resemblance, IMO. He had a scar beside his right eye, which indicates some sort of injury. Not necessarily a fracture, though. He also had a deformity of the left ankle. I'm sure the ME would have picked up on that. And the hair color is off. So, probably not, but a strong resemblance anyway.

501UMFL

The Doe Network profile with different pics.

501UMFL.jpg
501UMFL3.jpg
501UMFL2.jpg
501UMFL1.jpg

Date of Discovery: February 15, 2002
Location of Discovery: Sun City Central, Hillsborough County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 5-6 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 55-65 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'8"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Evidence of old (healed) facial trauma near the right eye.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not available. All teeth missing prior to death.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Tattered white plastic pants with elastic waistband, dark pinstriped men's suit jacket, and a Faded Glory brand, entirely tattered t-shirt.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was located on February 15, 2002, in the Underbrush near the 9th green of Caloosa Country Club (Highway 301 / 1 mile south of NE 19th Avenue - Sun City Center). He is believed to have been homeless. There were signs of a vagrant camp nearby.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Pete Bihorel
Agency Phone Number: 813-272-6377
Agency E-Mail: BihorelP(at)hillsboroughcounty.org
Agency Case Number: 02-00990
NCIC Case Number: U260016497
NamUs Case Number: 177

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Estimated Year of Death. 0-2002
Circumstances of Recovery -skeletal remains found in underbrush

Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Namus was updated in mid-2022 but UP177 still shows the same 7 ruleouts. He has a distinctive facial construction, he would be recognisable to anyone looking for him. It leads you to think he's probably not from the area and although homeless, may have moved to the area from elsewhere in the US.
1681545817494.png1681545866529.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974