1227 users online (159 members and 1068 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Teacher Had Students Slap Fellow Student

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

<modsnip> AN was accused of being a bully at his school, Salinas Elementary School, near San Antonio, Texas. His kindergarten teacher came up with a creative way to put an end to the alleged bullying. The teacher is accused of having 24 other students in the class line up and slap N<modsnip> one-by-one.
    I am absolutely appalled by some of the comments on this story.

Even if <modsnip> was being a bully, it does NOT give his teacher the authority to MAKE the other students bully him.
    Last edited by ynotdivein; 06-18-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Let's refer to him as AN for now.
    There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief.. and unspeakable love. --Washington Irving

Holy smokes - 8,796 comments on the article? That's a lot of people with something to say on the subject, even if half of them wrote in twice!

Imo, the comments from the mother of the accused bully seem off. She completely fails to address her sons bullying. Did he or did he not bully other students mom?

She does want to track and follow the teacher though that has already been fired for the incident to make sure she never steps foot in another classroom, and calls it justice for her son.

To me it sounds like justice for her. Jmo.

Are we sure this teacher wasn't a Nun? We had Nun's that did that.

Imagine if one of them kids is Quaker?

Just flippin brilliant. Way to confuse a bunch of kids for life.

The parents of the boy doing the bullying should have been called and a plan of action made to stop his bullying. But the teacher was way wrong in making the other students hit the bully. I would be really mad if a teacher tried to make my child hit anyone! And, yes, some of my kids did get bullied in school.

Well my first reaction to this was although I don't think that the teacher was right in her solution to the bullying, I do agree with the concept that bullies need to be dealt with in a way that they will definitely understand. Before you scream and yell at me, read on. I was bullied unrelentingly from first grade up through the eighth grade. As a result I was a total introvert, withdrawn and depressed..so traumatized I would cry if I was called upon in class. It definitely did no good to tell the teacher, I did, but the two worst bullies were her twin daughters. Absolutely nothing was done about it. I fought back once to protect a friend of mine who was being hurt by a boy five years older, we were seven, he was 13. He had pulled us from our bikes into a gravel road, causing a lot of scrapes and bruises. He was bending my friends arm behind her back and was thoroughly enjoying her cries of pain. Feeling totally helpless, I looked around for help but there was no one around. However, there was a pinetree branch right there on the ground. I reached down, picked it up, brought it way behind my back and slammed it down on his head. He let her go and I figured that if we did not run immediately, I was dead. Later that night, the boy's father came over to complain to my father about what I had done. My father asked what happened. I told him about this bully and the things he had done to us on a daily basis and what he had done that day...and what I had done that day. His father was furious and my father asked if he thought there was going to be anymore problems with his son.......BTW, there were never anymore problems with this bully. Sometimes the bully needs to be communicated with in a language that he or she understands.

I have more of a problem with the mother continuing to coverup for her son. It appears that she is still not handling the situation. Not once have I heard her say what she is going to do to ensure the other students safety from harm caused by her bullying son.

I hope that her bully son at least learned a lesson. Too bad the teacher has to suffer for the rest of her life for the mother's lack of parenting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    The parents of the boy doing the bullying should have been called and a plan of action made to stop his bullying. But the teacher was way wrong in making the other students hit the bully. I would be really mad if a teacher tried to make my child hit anyone! And, yes, some of my kids did get bullied in school.
    Is it known if the bully's parents were notified that they had a bully for a son?

Even if this child parent's were notified of their son's behavior, it doesn't give the teacher the right to have each and everyone of her students hit another child.

There is NOTHING that allows the behavior of an ADULT, to abuse another child by the hands of OTHER CHILDREN!

I was called Dumbo because of my ears for ALL of my 1st thru 6th grade years. Does that now mean I am allowed to call anyone, any name, I want to?
    There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief.. and unspeakable love. --Washington Irving

Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post

I hope that her bully son at least learned a lesson. Too bad the teacher has to suffer for the rest of her life for the mother's lack of parenting skills.
    Her 'bully son' as you call him, without evidence, might I add, learned nothing more, then it is okay to hit other people if an adult says it is okay.

The other students, many of which didn't want to hit this child, learned 'it's okay to hit another child if an adult tells you it's okay, or ORDERS you to.

What kind of lesson is that for SIX YEAR OLDS?

6 year olds are still learning. They are fresh and eager and ready to listen and learn. What did this 'teacher' really just teach them?

I am thinking she just taught them to GANG up on another person.... if someone else says it is okay!

Ugh!

The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Reminders:

- WS doesn't post names of minor victims or perps without management ok. I know MSM posted one child's name, but let's please only use initials and only if needed.

- Keep the discussion here about the case, not about one another or about differences in how we may choose to raise our children.

Carry on, and
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

and the students apparently hit him twice each

that teacher should be charged with something more than a misdemeanour IMO

The teacher should not have done what she did but, would like to know how long the accused bully was supposed to have kept up this behavior and were the parents called at anytime about it.

I think that info would provide a little more perspective - seems schools have no idea what to do about this problem, nor do some parents.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/a...her-bully.html

Even if AN was the biggest bully Salinas Elementary students and staff had ever seen -- which is highly doubtful -- the way to eradicate such behavior is not by spearheading an anti-bullying campaign that's based on inflicting physical and psychological pain on the student by his peers.