06-18-2012, 04:58 PM #1
LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #29Thank you for joining Websleuths!
It is wonderful to see so many new members (many locals!) interested in helping locate Mickey. Your dedication is appreciated.
Please remember the following when discussing the Mickey Shunick case:
Websleuths is a moderated forum. We strive to discuss cases in a friendly environment.
Our rules can be reviewed here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]Link to the Rules Forum[/ame] (PLEASE make sure you know the rules!)
Michaela (Mickey) Shunick
Missing from Lafayette LA -- 19 May 2012
• [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173725"]Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY *[/ame]
• [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7982648&postcount=4"]BayouBecky's videos[/ame] of Mickey's possible routes homeward
• KATC Twitter feed
• Website: Find Mickey Now
• Lafayette Police Department updates
• Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now
• If you find and post new info here on the discussion thread, please also post that link on the Time Line & Media Links *
• When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.
• Please do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.
• Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.
Locals/Insiders - queenofcorona and chicken fried
Verified PI: A.C.I.
A few additional reminders:
- Leave the snark -- and the rumors --at the door.
- Treat other posters with respect.
- If you have questions or concerns about a post, alert on that post and contact a mod. Do not quote and/or reply to the post. If you do, and the post is subsequently deleted, your post is subject to deletion, as well.
- If you have other questions in general, scroll to the bottom of the page and find "View forum leaders." There you will find a list of moderators available if you need to PM one.
- Remember: you can disagree with a post and address it, but you do NOT attack the poster.
Last edited by bessie; 06-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM #2IMPORTANT INFORMATION
For a few days in a row, there have been numerous TOS violations on this case. While it may seem harmless to some, we are getting dozens of complaints from other members who want to discuss this case constructively. From now on, there will be more time outs issued to those who repeatedly choose to ignore our guidelines.
Here are just some of the problems that occur over and over:
* Baiting /Trolling / Inciting Conflict: There are times when a member violates our rules by trying to upset other members. Please use your ALERT feature when this happens and DO NOT RESPOND TO THE POSTS. When a moderator is able to deal with the problem, it takes a LOT less time when he/she doesn't have to also deal with all the responses to the offense. Plus, it makes the one who initially started the conflict keep on going.
* Inviting/Baiting: This is when someone says they have information they can't share on the forum. Then someone else asks for them to PM the information. It's like be at a party and whispering secrets to each other and is not allowed here. If you have something private to share, then send a private message and don't announce it on the public thread.
* Dreams/Visions: WS doesn't condone dreams and visions and psychic information. There are plenty of sites out there on the WWW that do, but we are not one of them. We have not found that information to be helpful in solving cases.
* Announcing alerts: Don't announce that you are alerting. Just do your part and make the alert and move on.
* Sleuthing guidelines: We don’t permit any posts discussing the sleuthing of non-players. Considering there have been no suspects or POI’s named to date, that means pretty much no one is permitted to be sleuthed, except Mickey, This is done to protect the innocent. Think about it – suppose your son (or daughter) gave your next door neighbor a ride to the grocery store, dropped them off with the understanding that they had a ride home. That neighbor disappears and is now missing. Do you want hundreds of people sleuthing your background? Knowing where you live, work, your kid’s names, ages, where they go to school? Would you like every skeleton in your closet to be shaken and posted on a public forum for the world to see? It is not right and not fair to innocent people. Most of these people are only a friend or acquaintance by sheer circumstance. They do not deserve the public scrutiny. It is completely understandable for Law Enforcement to take this approach. However, after their investigation, if they find no basis for suspicion and clear these people, they don’t make their records public either. Simply put, it just ain’t cool to do and we don’t do it here at Websleuths.
* Sleuthing other members: It doesn't matter what they are doing here, we do NOT sleuth other members. Anonymity is taken very seriously on Websleuths. If this continues, a member could lose their posting privileges permanently
* Derogatory Name Changes to Case Players/General Name Calling: is not allowed here.
* “Off-Topic” Posts: Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended. This thread is for discussion of locating Mickey Shunick.
* Verified Posters, Insiders & Locals:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653"]See this Link to the Verified Posters: Professionals and Insiders.[/ame]
We don’t verify every local who follows any case. You are welcome to post photos & maps of the area, post your knowledge about specific areas (e.g., directions, locations, weather conditions, etc..) so we can all have a better understanding. What you cannot do is post information relayed to you by another person (e.g., “I went on a volunteer search last week & another person I met told me “blah blah blah” <insert rumor of your choice> and she said she got it from a co-worker of Mickey’s sister. That is RUMOR and we do not participate in any rumor chasing events here.
An insider is usually someone with direct knowledge. Often a family member or a close friend. Those we do verify. Keep in mind no one is obligated to become verified; we completely respect and understand those who choose not to do so. All we ask is that you not post inside information claiming it as fact.
That all said, we are very careful when verifying members. However, we cannot endorse the content of their posts nor assert as to the truth of what is being stated. It is up to the reader to decide that for themselves. We’re simply letting you know that an Administrator or Owner has spoken with this person, gathered data to investigate that they are who they say they are. We do this to protect the integrity of the information posted here.
None of these rules are new and a more detailed explanation of them can be found here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7825556#post7825556"] LINK -Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
Everyone is now being held responsible for knowing the rules.
Please know that Moderators are here to help. We realize it takes a bit to learn the WS policies. We've all been there ourselves. At the bottom of the Missing Forum homepage you will see a list of "Forum Leaders". Please feel free to contact the moderator of your choice with any questions you may have. We will be happy to help you learn the ropes around here!
06-18-2012, 05:03 PM #3
Have you read the two previous posts?
If not, read them now.
By posting on this thread,
you are stating you know the rules!
06-18-2012, 05:04 PM #4
06-18-2012, 05:27 PM #5
I'm glad you posted here. This case could use fresh eyes.
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM #6Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2012
I am narrowing my opinion that it is someone local, likely drunk, on their normal drive home after leaving a bar. For whatever reason, likely the alcohol, they accidentally hit her and flipped out. Maybe they have prior DUI convictions, maybe a family...maybe just selfish. But they knew if they reported it they would end up going to prison so they made a terrible decision by taking her and the bike.
Once they had her in the car it was too late to change their mind even if they wanted to. They likely disposed of the bike conveniently...maybe somewhere they have been before so that they wouldn't seem out of place. It's difficult to imagine someone random would go the extra step to end a life but they may have been desperate to not get caught and not at full capacity.
If it were an accident then I would expect there to be some damage based on the fact that the back rim was damaged enough to cause the tire to dislodge. It takes a good hit to bend a rim. It could be as minor as some scratches on the bumber to having the windshield shattered. There likely wasn't much of a crime scene. We know that she had a leather backpack/purse and based on the daytime pic of her, rode with it strapped across her body. When I ride my bike, I don't have anything in my hands...nothing. So the perp would have grabbed a petite person and a bike. You can do that within a minute or two.
People abduct women for sexual reasons usually. It seems difficult to imagine that someone would hit her bike to the extent that she is seriously injured just so they could assault her. She is so small, alone on a bike at 2am...there would be no reason to feel the need to injure her. Even the worst sicko's likely don't want to assault someone that is bleeding. That is just more evidence for LE to find in their vehicle.
I have faith in LE and have a strong suspiscion that they have identified the truck whether or not they were a witness or a suspect. If not then it should happen soon enough. The passenger rear window has some type of sun shade or something else that someone out there is familiar with. Someone out there saw this truck and knew immediately who it belonged to. They could be silent because they are close to an arrest and don't want to jeopardize the investigation. The PI is smart enough to keep that quiet.
If i were the suspect, I would act completely normal. If the damage was noticeable I would fix it myself by stealing the parts so that they couldn't be tracked. I would clean it in some sort of high powered way so that chemicals wouldn't be necessary. I would act oblivious to all of the news reports and if LE or a PI asked, I would admit being in the area because if I weren't guilty then I would have no reason to lie.
06-18-2012, 05:07 PM #7
06-18-2012, 05:09 PM #8Inactive
- Join Date
- May 2012
- DFW via Lafayette, LA
I realized yesterday that I had assumed MS & BW went to Taco Bell on Johnston & St. Mary by campus but they did not.
Anyone sitting or standing on Congress St near St Antoine could have seen them bike back to Ryan St, leave in the car for TB on Congress, return and see Mickey leave alone on her bike.
I thought this as well. Hey isnt the one by Campus closer? Why go all the way down to Congress? Am I wrong?
06-18-2012, 05:56 PM #9
06-18-2012, 06:13 PM #10Inactive
- Join Date
- May 2012
- DFW via Lafayette, LA
I guess they wanted to avoid the after bar crowd. When I was in my twenties, I remember that location being open at 2am and you did NOT have to use drive thru, you could go inside. Did this change? I am referring to the location on Campus.
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM #11Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2012
06-18-2012, 05:10 PM #12
I am curious why people are suddenly wondering if she took off on her own. I do not understand how that would have worked. She was out at 2 am, with no money, all alone.
How exactly did she run off? And who drove her to Whisky Bay to dump off her beloved bicycle?
And she planned this, why?“Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM #13
While I respect the opinions of all my fellow sleuthers, I wholeheartedly disagree that it's a viable scenario to consider regarding her voluntarily leaving. There is unequivocally no piece of evidence that supports that theory: Rather, there is a slew of facts stating the precise opposite. MOO and all that.
Last edited by Simply Caustic; 06-18-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM #14
We've been through the possible connections between some of the missing women over and over again...
Not saying people shouldn't bring it up again if they have a valid point to make, but so far, there is nothing to suggest that any of the cases are connected, IMO.
Lauren-out with males friends all night, likely intoxicated, and they all got lawyers at once
Holly-left her yard in the company of a man who she spoke with for 10-15 first, early in the morning, witnessed by her brother, did not seem to be fighting him
Katelyn-likely lured from her home after midnight, most likely by someone she knew, or why else would she leave her apartment, not take her keys, phone, etc...
Brittney W.- Seems to be a lot going on down there in this case...uncle's suicide, rumors she may be out there somewhere...etc...
Paige-Was last in the company of a man who is currently in jail and refusing to talk about her
Not sure who else is being suggested...but one thing I do feel fairly sure of is that Mickey was taken, or left with, someone local to Lafayette or a nearby area (rather than the roaming SK or an out-out-town fair worker) due to the locale of her bike. That says local more than anything to me.
JMOJust my opinion, of course.
06-18-2012, 05:19 PM #15Registered User
- Join Date
- Jan 2010
- Wolfscratch Wilderness/North GA
It would not be unusual for a predator/sk, to discard evidence or other personal items, including the victim's remains, miles away from the crime scene. In fact, it is expected of a professional predator.
Steven Egger, Serial Murder Expert
Jan 15, 2007 – Dr. Steven A. Egger is a criminal justice expert and renowned specialist on the ... He coined the terms “less-dead” and “linkage blindness”
By bessie in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 871Last Post: 06-14-2012, 11:42 PM
By bessie in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 1023Last Post: 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM
By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 843Last Post: 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM
By wfgodot in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 545Last Post: 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
By queenofcorona in forum Mickey Shunick General Discussion ThreadsReplies: 528Last Post: 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM