1576 users online (349 members and 1227 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

TX - Artist vandal caught on video defacing "priceless" Picasso in Houston gallery

Vandal is caught on video spray-painting priceless Picasso artwork in the middle of a Houston gallery (Daily Mail)
    An incredible video, posted on YouTube, captures the moment a daring vandal defaced Pablo Picasso's 1929 artwork 'Woman in a Red Armchair' as it hung on a Texas gallery wall.

The iPhone footage, taken by a stunned museum goer on Wednesday, shows a young man walk up to the famous painting in the Menil Collection, Houston, and use a stencil to spray-paint a bull in its centre before fleeing the scene.
    ---
    According to KPRC News, the man who caught the act on tape said he followed the vandal out of the gallery and quizzed him as to why he desecrated the artwork.

Responding, he identified himself as an up and coming Mexican-American artist looking to honour Picasso's work.
    ---
    The museum rushed the painting to its on-site conservation lab where staff are still working to restore it to its former glory.

'The prognosis is good', said spokesman Gretchen Sammons, who added that the museum had never seen an incident like this before.
    ---
    more at link above

caption below YouTube video:
    Young Mexican-American artist URIEL LANDEROS, paints a stencil of a bullfighter killing a bull over an original 1929 Picasso painting in Houston TX.

**In Dedication to the art beast Pablo Picasso**
    Last edited by KateB; 07-26-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

What an idiot!

Wiki offers various examples of vandalism of art.

The American artist Robert Rauschenberg famously - but with the artist's permission - erased a drawing by Willem de Kooning. It has been called one of the first examples of conceptual art.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    why didn't dude with iphone record the vandal's face when he spoke to him outside?

why didn't dude with iphone detain the vandal (citizen's arrest) until police arrived?

yeah, yeah, I know iphone dude is not the criminal here ... I'm just frustrated

I hope they can restore it perfectly & I hope vandal is caught quickly

I know this is a crime against property. But, as far as I'm concerned whatever is done to a Picasso is probably an improvement; I feel some "art" is a crime.

MOO

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I know this is a crime against property. But, as far as I'm concerned whatever is done to a Picasso is probably an improvement; I feel some "art" is a crime.

MOO
    Example? A crime of what sort? A crime against whom?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    why didn't dude with iphone record the vandal's face when he spoke to him outside?

why didn't dude with iphone detain the vandal (citizen's arrest) until police arrived?

yeah, yeah, I know iphone dude is not the criminal here ... I'm just frustrated

I hope they can restore it perfectly & I hope vandal is caught quickly
    Are we sure iphone dude wasn't involved in the crime? Seems awfully convenient to me.

What's more, I can't think of an art museum that allows photography by patrons.

What an ass

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

Uriel Landeros's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/uriel.landeros.9

Street Artist Who Allegedly Defaced Picasso Painting at Menil Posted Media Coverage to His Facebook Wall (houstonpress.com)

The painting has since been removed from the wall and it was immediately restored. The museum said it hopes to have the painting back on the wall later this week. (click2houston.com)

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Example? A crime of what sort? A crime against whom?
    I need to thank you for this post, I gave it a lot of thought, though not in the way you may think. I took a GOOD look at the painting, internalized it, discovered,that he may have seen more than most of us do at first glance, although my interpretation may not be close to yours by billions of miles/years. However, you did give me a revelation.

I'm sorry, but what are the odds that a random patron was taking a perfectly centered video--not a still shot, but a video--of the painting in question at the exact moment the vandal struck?

And further what are the odds that the same random patron was able to find the vandal outside the museum and have a conversation so the patron could report the vandal's words to the police and media?

Sounds more like an accomplice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I need to thank you for this post, I gave it a lot of thought, though not in the way you may think. I took a GOOD look at the painting, internalized it, discovered,that he may have seen more than most of us do at first glance, although my interpretation may not be close to yours by billions of miles/years. However, you did give me a revelation.
    Good for you, Trident! To oversimplify greatly, one of the goals of Cubism was to portray the subject from multiple perspectives. So Picasso's goal wasn't to show us how the matador and bull appeared to our eyes (obviously), but how they might appear if we could look at them from multiple directions at once.

Like most modernists, Picasso took painting beyond literal representation in an attempt to show what could not otherwise be seen--as you yourself so aptly point out.