Biggest quake in a century rocks Victoria Melbourne Australia

Unusual for Australia! The biggest mistake people make is to run outside. It is always recommended to look for the smallest most compact room in a home, like a bathroom or a walk-in closet and stand in there. IMO.

I lived in California most of my life and grew up in earthquake country out in the desert. The best thing is to have something sturdy in your home that you can crawl under. My family had an extremely sturdy dining room table. :D We had a LOT of earthquakes, but never to the point of having to crawl under that table!

Awaiting email from friend Coxy in Melbourne; as he lives in an upper story of an apartment building, it may be awhile, till the wooziness wears off or something.

I lived in California most of my life and grew up in earthquake country out in the desert. The best thing is to have something sturdy in your home that you can crawl under. My family had an extremely sturdy dining room table. :D We had a LOT of earthquakes, but never to the point of having to crawl under that table!

I understand perfectly. I come from Chile, where it happens all the time. I've never crawled under a table either, but we used to stand under doorways, because they had a reinforced steel lintel. A bathtub with a mattress over the head is also a solution, the same for hurricanes (we call them cyclones here).

I understand perfectly. I come from Chile, where it happens all the time. I've never crawled under a table either, but we used to stand under doorways, because they had a reinforced steel lintel. A bathtub with a mattress over the head is also a solution, the same for hurricanes (we call them cyclones here).

I've never heard of a bathtub and a mattress! :rocker: At school, we were instructed to get in doorways or under our desks. They were reinforced by steel back then.

Awaiting email from friend Coxy in Melbourne; as he lives in an upper story of an apartment building, it may be awhile, till the wooziness wears off or something.

Don't forget he may have lost some internet accessibility. A 5.3-5.5 isn't really that large to me (So CA native), but this is EQ country, and we're built to withstand a lot higher magnitude, and taught how to handle it when it occurs (dining tables are really, really good...as are doorways without doors).

I hope all are safe and sound, and it was only building damage.

Best-
Herding Cats

All my friends and relatives in Melbourne are posting funny messages on FB.
The picture of one outdoor chair fallen over saying 'we will rebuild', 'I feel the earth moving under my feet', 'what earthquake? They call THAT an earthquake?' , and others didn't feel anything.

It was near Moe I believe which made the headlines 15 years ago with a rather bizarre case of a toddlers death. The main suspect was aquitted, but most believe he is guilty.
The case was in the news again just last week, saying that no reward would be on the table since the police consider the case closed.

Sorry to go OT, but everytime I hear of Moe I think of little Jaidyn Leskie.

Whew! Word finally from pal in Melbourne. I had thought he was higher up than the third floor, and glad he wasn't.
Yes indeed - things shook, rattled and rolled in my flat for what must have been almost a minute. I'm three floors up in a four story building so naturally I held fears for loss of vinyl and electronics in the event of a collapse. It was mild compared to the really serious quakes overseas but you just don't know how serious it's going to get at the time - or if that's the last of it.

Whew! Word finally from pal in Melbourne. I had thought he was higher up than the third floor, and glad he wasn't.

Glad he's OK! He's right, you never know what's going to happen.

rebuild.jpg

My parents live close to the centre of Melbourne.....They felt it shake and rattle. I live an hour or so closer to what is the epicentre (Moe) and it did quite shake, nothing fell off shelves, but had it been stronger, things would have started falling......It was scary as it happened, now we can giggle about it. Moe is 1.5 hours drive away from me.

The adrenalin sure did raise because i'd never felt it like hat before. We have had smaller ones where the epicentre was Kooweerup and surrounds...Korumburra I think....but this one was stronger.

violin.gif

PS : Kimster.....you are a beautiful lil ripper for opening a thread for this....You kind thing you. (((((HUGS))))) and to everyone who sent me PMS, yoou are so very kind to think of me...Luvs Ya's dearly xox (and i'd never have won this academy award without the help of......lalalalalalala" giggles

Live in Melbourne and heard it wasn't such a big deal I was closer and people further out than me on the news being drama queens. Just sucks out moe or hippos land way there has been floods, earthquake and now more floods endangering our power supply! Apparently we have 1 week left fingers cross we won't be left without power as its freezing and getting colder!!! Brrr and the toddler you talk of is jayden Leskie sad they never able to charge anyone with it one night after reading the book me and a friend drove to the house, which was next to a child care center we were quiet disturbed dunno if it was built afterwards.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back