992 users online (220 members and 772 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Death Penalty and Canada

Discuss it here.

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Last edited by KateB; 05-19-2015 at 01:16 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Thanks for starting a thread on this topic. I'm guessing that with the recent murder of foreign student Lin Jun, and the associated media attention, some people want to see the convicted murderer murdered. Capital punishment is not a deterrent. I'm not in favour of an eye for an eye, but I am interested in the reasoning behind the philosophy.

Thank you to the mods for separating out this topic.

Although I'm not Canadian, my own country's* criminal justice system is very similar to Canada's because we both inherited our legal systems from Britain. The death penalty for Canada would strike me as a massive step backwards. Unlike many opponents of capital punishment, I'm not against it on the grounds of thinking that nobody deserves it. On the contrary, there are many people who I would be quite happy to see executed, and the Magnotta creature is one of them.

So while I fully understand why some people are expressing disappointment that he can't be tried in China, or that Canada has abolished the death penalty, my head has to rule my heart here. Hard cases make bad laws. There should be no knee jerk reaction to call for a step backwards on the basis of the worst of the worst. The Canadian courts can make mistakes just as much as those of any other country, and what happens when you end up with an innocent person facing execution?

*Ireland.

IMO i think the death penalty is too much of an 'easy way out' if u ask me. if they kill him, then he dies....thats it. i would rather him suffer for many many years. lock him up in solitary confinement 24/7 with access to NOTHING!! 4 walls & a locked door with maybe a tiny hole to throw him just enough amount of food/water to get him by each day. guess he'd need a toilet as well, but thats it. personally, if i had my way, i'd see to it that some sort of physical torture would be provided daily as well (beat his ass periodically or something like that). the death penalty seems like its doing him a favor.

Canada doesn't even have LWOP, does it?
    Last edited by PHB; 06-20-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: I hit enter before I was done typing...whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by PHB View Post
    Canada doesn't even have LWOP, does it?
    A first degree murder conviction results in a sentence such that the first opportunity to apply for parole is after 25 years. If the offender was young when convicted and made efforts to reform during the 25 years, there is a chance that the convict will be paroled. However, there is no guarantee that parole will be granted. It is conceivable that someone could be sentenced and never released from prison. There is also a provision in Canadian law such that a person is assigned the status of longterm offender or dangerous offender. That usually requires three offences of a similar, violent nature (the criteria can be found online). Dangerous offenders are never released.

Thanks for the info, otto.
    After some googling, I see Paul Bernardo got LWOP. I can't believe his wife only got 12 years, though. Michael Rafferty and Colonel Russel Williams, for example, are two murderers who would be on death row, or severing LWOP in the US (I don't follow Canadian crime much, those are the only two I know of). Both of them will be eligeble for parole after 25 years.
    Yves "Apache" Trudeau would certaintly been a DP case in the US. He committed 43 murders for various Canadian biker gangs, turned state's evidence and was allowed to plead to 43 manslaughters, and served 9 years. When he was released, he was given a new identity, and a few years later he raped a little boy, for which he was given 4 more years. He has since been released.
    I think a lot of Americans feel that Canada is "soft on crime". Whether or not that's a fair assessment, I don't know, what I listed above are only a few cases. Personaly, I would feel better knowing any of the above murderers would never be free again, be it DP or LWOP.

BTW sorry I derailed this thread, it's about the death penalty, not LWOP. I'll thow my $0.02 in: as long as we're executing the right person, I have no problem with the DP.

it's state-sanctioned murder IMO

if it's abhorrent & illegal for the population to do it, why is it then ok for the government to do it?

I think Bernardo, Williams, Rafferty and a whole host of others deserve to die by firing squad but I'm not willing to give my government free reign to make that decision

especially when I consider the innocent people who have been convicted of murder - Guy Paul Morin is one such case

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post

if it's abhorrent & illegal for the population to do it, why is it then ok for the government to do it?

I think Bernardo, Williams, Rafferty and a whole host of others deserve to die by firing squad but I'm not willing to give my government free reign to make that decision

especially when I consider the innocent people who have been convicted of murder - Guy Paul Morin is one such case
    The government wouldn't decide, the people would. The same 12 people who convicted the killer would decide if they live or die.

If we trust our justice system then one must trust the proper decision is rendered in a trial.

I`m 100% in favour of the death penalty. Will it happen in my lifetime, probably not but my hope is that one day people will realize that housing and feeding these murderers who snuffed away the lives of innocent human beings does nothing to rehabilitate them and furthermore these same POS get out of prison to reoffend. (Amber Kirwan case).

Yes, let`s tear down the old prisons and build new ones with freshly painted walls so these monsters can be fed 3 times a day and live in their freshly painted cells with new facilities available to them. Afterall, it is the humane thing to do, right. All with my money!

No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post

I completely agree with every word...

Awww well look at this. A criminal`s dream come true.

Built in 1997, the Rivière-des-Prairies Detention Centre “shelters 600 prisoners in a warm and friendly environment which simultaneously incorporates principles of security, efficiency and respect for inmates,” according to Lemay Associes Montreal, the architecture firm behind the facility.

Magnotta will likely be housed in the facility for most of the remainder of his trial.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06...suicide-watch/

In the meantime, the victim`s family still awaits for the rest of their loved ones remains to be found.

What a shame that we give criminals more rights than the victims. Actually, it`s an embarrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I`m 100% in favour of the death penalty. Will it happen in my lifetime, probably not but my hope is that one day people will realize that housing and feeding these murderers who snuffed away the lives of innocent human beings does nothing to rehabilitate them and furthermore these same POS get out of prison to reoffend. (Amber Kirwan case).

Yes, let`s tear down the old prisons and build new ones with freshly painted walls so these monsters can be fed 3 times a day and live in their freshly painted cells with new facilities available to them. Afterall, it is the humane thing to do, right. All with my money!

No thanks!
    The problem for me is that innocent people are sometimes convicted and sentenced to death. I would be I interested to hear your thoughts on this very real problem with the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    The government wouldn't decide, the people would. The same 12 people who convicted the killer would decide if they live or die.

If we trust our justice system then one must trust the proper decision is rendered in a trial.

BBM

That's the problem. No system is perfect and juries sometimes get it wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast