Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Children taunt bus monitor and make her cry

I found this feminist blog post in response to the bullying of the bus monitor. I liked it.

http://jezebel.com/5920517/wanna-kno...he-was-bullied

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peppermintswirlz For This Useful Post:

(CNN) -- The family of New York bus monitor Karen Klein -- who has gained sympathy worldwide after a video of seventh-graders brutally taunting her while on the job went viral this week -- is asking for the harassment of the children to stop.

"Between all of us, we don't feel that's right by any means," Klein's daughter, Amanda Romig, told CNN on Friday. "We would like people to stop harassing the family and the kids. That's another form of bullying."

(snip)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:

Just listened to this vid for the first time. I would like to slap these kids so hard that I would make their ears ring -so hard
    England's dancing days are done...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...06-21-14-52-56

A New York school bus monitor who was verbally assaulted by four middle schoolers, an attack that generated international outrage and an outpouring of support for the woman when a video of the taunts went viral, has told police she does not want the boys to face criminal charges.

bbm

Ok, I can't read any further. What these boys did was wrong. No, I can't watch the video.... but if she is unwilling to see them criminally prosecuted and held responsible, she is part of the problem with childen NOT facing appropriate consequences.

Riding a bus is a priviledge, just as having a drivers license is.

My son was the victim of a neighborhood bully. I thought it appropriate to tell this childs parents. The child was dumb enough to use my sons 3DS to video record himself and other children taunting my son.

I was floored by his parents response- after they viewed the video of their sons behavior. His mother was silent while his father came at ME shaking his fist, blaming MY son telling me his son could do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants. His son watched as his father responded in this manner with a chit eating grin on his face. Perfect example of why sometimes it is NOT appropriate for women to be in certain situations.

At that point, I spoke to my step dad, former LE and former chief of police who did suggest getting my sons father (we are not together and live in seperate communities) involved.

It hasn't escalated thus far. But I have saved the video in the event we need it in court at some point in the future. I have since sleuthed this boys father, and their home at one point was in foreclosure. I don't know if it still is (I'm watching for it to hit the sheriffs sale)... but I wouldn't feel bad if they lost it and the rift raft was out of the neighborhood. This is a family that doesn't need to save for college but rather save for the commisary.

And yes, when young males are learning this type of behavior from the adult males in their lives, it takes another male to deal with the situation. Which is why I sought the involvement of my sons father. As a female, it is not something I can address alone.

Vent over. I'm glad to see the woman got a nice amount of money so she doesn't have to go back to work..... but I am terribly disappointed she is backing down from these young men being held criminally responsible.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2Me1MoThyme View Post
    What I get from this is Luis is sorry it went viral, not that it happened, not that he didn't step in like a knight in shining armour and protect the lady, he is sorry it went this far? Let me put this in a nutshell for you Luis the Loser, you learned nothing, and you are only sorry for yourself.
    ETA: Recio, I'm sorry you'll never know what it is like to be a man.
    I totally agree Dewey, he is only sorry "it went this far" as in he did not think that he and his cohorts would be on the wrong end of the stick in this situation. The punks had no idea that their little macho bullying video would make them so infamous....they actually thought that they would be supported.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post

Ok, I can't read any further. What these boys did was wrong. No, I can't watch the video.... but if she is unwilling to see them criminally prosecuted and held responsible, she is part of the problem with childen NOT facing appropriate consequences.

My son was the victim of a neighborhood bully. I thought it appropriate to tell this childs parents. The child was dumb enough to use my sons 3DS to video record himself and other children taunting my son.

I was floored by his parents response- after they viewed the video of their sons behavior. His mother was silent while his father came at ME shaking his fist, blaming MY son telling me his son could do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants. His son watched as his father responded in this manner with a chit eating grin on his face. Perfect example of why sometimes it is NOT appropriate for women to be in certain situations.

At that point, I spoke to my step dad, former LE and former chief of police who did suggest getting my sons father (we are not together and live in seperate communities) involved.

It hasn't escalated thus far. But I have saved the video in the event we need it in court at some point in the future. I have since sleuthed this boys father, and their home at one point was in foreclosure. I don't know if it still is (I'm watching for it to hit the sheriffs sale)... but I wouldn't feel bad if they lost it and the rift raft was out of the neighborhood. This is a family that doesn't need to save for college but rather save for the commisary.

And yes, when young males are learning this type of behavior from the adult males in their lives, it takes another male to deal with the situation. Which is why I sought the involvement of my sons father. As a female, it is not something I can address alone.

Vent over. I'm glad to see the woman got a nice amount of money so she doesn't have to go back to work..... but I am terribly disappointed she is backing down from these young men being held criminally responsible.
    There should be consequences no doubt. They did touch her inappropriately in the video. I shudder to think what these bullies could be like as adults. Perhaps a future child molester, serial killer, or terrorist.
    Last edited by HMSHood; 06-23-2012 at 07:26 PM.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarmelEyesD View Post
    $428,644

http://www.**************/loveforkarenhklein?c=activity

It may not make up for what she went through, but it may help her retire...I think the next bus monitor for those rude children should have a badge and a gun....
    At the very least a bus monitor or bus driver should be armed with a stun gun or a cattle prod or some other kind of equalizer..............LOL.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:

Well I've seen one video of the "cameraman and his mother" and read one comment/apology of a father of one of the bullies, where are the rest of the parents? Do we have to wait on Dr. Phil to have them on?

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    I agree that times need to change so someone like this woman can be a bus monitor. I find it repulsive that she was reduced to tears by the likes of these kids. But, those times are not here and I'm equally appalled that those kids are not sitting in jail right now.
    I completely agree. I'm appalled at the comments that it should only be a man's job. From what I've read the bus driver was only doing her job, and not responding initially. The fault lies with the brats and the parents who turn a blind eye to it, and I believe it is up to the school district to protect this woman. I'm not old, but had I been her, I would have pulled the bus over, stopped, and given them a piece of my mind- it wouldn't have progressed to them getting physical with me! If this woman wasn't capable of that, then she should have had some protection available to her- monitor, phone, or security camera. I don't think a vacation fund for her is the answer- it doesn't address the problem and these punks do need to spend some time in juvie and not ride the bus again, IMO!
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post
    Well I've seen one video of the "cameraman and his mother" and read one comment/apology of a father of one of the bullies, where are the rest of the parents? Do we have to wait on Dr. Phil to have them on?
    Bullied Bus Monitor Karen Klein Doesn't Accept Boys' Apologies
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/bullied-bus...8#.T-ZJk5L0e-U

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed

It hasn't escalated thus far. .
    Respectfully snipped. Why didnt you pursue criminal charges?
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.
    ― Maya Angelou

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Because I didn't think the incident elevated to a level to press criminal charges. And, we have to live here. I own. Like just about everyone else, I'm in the red on what is owed on my mortgage due to the decline in RE values, so moving really isn't an option.

I did find their home was listed as a short sale two days ago. (listed two days ago, I found the listing today.) Now I am just hoping they move out of the neighborhood rather than find a rental in the area. I'll be so ecstatic once they move and hopefully don't relocate in the immediate area.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Top bolding by me.

See if some of the Chicago Bears offensive and defensive lines would stop by to "talk" to father and set him straight.
    Buttons updated 09-27-2014

Made by HD ----->

Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL,
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

I wonder how many other kids in that age group were on the bus. Am kind of surprised that some other normal sensitive kids did not jump in and told the bullies to stop.
    Some of the kids I know, said they would have.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rotterdam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Top bolding by me.

See if some of the Chicago Bears offensive and defensive lines would stop by to "talk" to father and set him straight.

My sons dad rides a Harley. I'm sure he and about a dozen of his biker friends would have been sufficient if it had come to that. Fortunately it did not.

The thing is, it just wasn't what the kid did to my son. The insults against females, which came flying out at me from the kids dad- in front of his son, daughter and wife, clearly tells me - in our diverse world there are still cultures that view women as second class citizens. An approach from a woman with those that have that type of mentality is simply futile. Which is why I suggested certain situations are better handled by a male.

It really depends on the situation.
    ~JMO~

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    This absolutely broke my heart and made me cry. What is wrong in this world??

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful One For This Useful Post:

I was surprised to see one of the "bullies" on the video - I was expecting a kid who was too cool for school, tough macho type. What I saw was a kid who probably gets bullied a lot - he looks like a little nerd.

Interesting. And interesting, as always, to me the things that get the public riled up. There are people who have been tortured to death and the country is on its ear about verbal taunting of an adult by middle schoolers on a school bus.

Sad for her, I would be more comfortable had she had reported inappropriate behavior of these kids herself - that's her job.

I really don't get it, the cases that catch this nation's attention. I'm the first to admit I don't get it - everyone else seems to - but I can look through any local news station on the web from any community and find much worse crimes being committed that no one gives a single thought to.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    I was surprised to see one of the "bullies" on the video - I was expecting a kid who was too cool for school, tough macho type. What I saw was a kid who probably gets bullied a lot - he looks like a little nerd.

Interesting. And interesting, as always, to me the things that get the public riled up. There are people who have been tortured to death and the country is on its ear about verbal taunting of an adult by middle schoolers on a school bus.

Sad for her, I would be more comfortable had she had reported inappropriate behavior of these kids herself - that's her job.

I really don't get it, the cases that catch this nation's attention. I'm the first to admit I don't get it - everyone else seems to - but I can look through any local news station on the web from any community and find much worse crimes being committed that no one gives a single thought to.
    With respect, that's a pretty absolutist statement. I think the public gives a lot of thought to all sorts of crimes that are reported in the media.

You know, I read a comment by someone on the Sandusky case who said, "Yeah Sandusky did wrong, but what about "so and so" who do much worse?"

I find your statement similar and respectfully, it's not very logical to me. Collective outrage about one act of savagery does not preclude collective outrage in other cases. Speaking of, plenty of people have been scandalized and disgusted by the Sandusky case, casey anthony, josh powell, Syria, the Holocaust, lynchings, Hurricane Katrina, etc., etc.

I think that certain things are barometers for society's norms and values. In this case, it wasn't simply "an adult" as you state. It was a grandma. An elderly person. Among the most vulnerable. And she was being tormented by young people.

That episode on the bus was seen by many as the last straw in societal decay, the culmination of decades in which we have seen the disappearance of integrity, accountability, valor, and just good old fashioned manners. The response you are seeing is society stating that we are fed up and not going to allow society to tip so far into the pits that it cannot be retrieved.

Just because people are supporting this lone, elderly lady does not mean the rest and even more horrible of horrors in our world go unnoticed or unlamented. And millions of people contribute in many, different ways every single day to eradicating horror, wherever it occurs, regardless of degree.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

I , for one, am glad this got people riled up. This type of verbal taunting has become an epidemic and is now leading to suicides. And there's just no rhyme or reason for it. If these kids need to be brought front and center to show others this behavior won't be tolerated, so be it.

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to snowdaze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by snowdaze View Post
    I , for one, am glad this got people riled up. This type of verbal taunting has become an epidemic and is now leading to suicides. And there's just no rhyme or reason for it. If these kids need to be brought front and center to show others this behavior won't be tolerated, so be it.
    Thankfully, Karen Klein is still alive. And yet it triggered plenty of outrage. Reminds me of Jennifer Petkov, but an adult picking on a sick child. I wonder about Karen Klein's bullies, Jennifer Petkov's, South Hadley 6, and Lori Drew's upbringing. Permissive parenting or marred by abuse?

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    With respect, that's a pretty absolutist statement. I think the public gives a lot of thought to all sorts of crimes that are reported in the media.

You know, I read a comment by someone on the Sandusky case who said, "Yeah Sandusky did wrong, but what about "so and so" who do much worse?"

I find your statement similar and respectfully, it's not very logical to me. Collective outrage about one act of savagery does not preclude collective outrage in other cases. Speaking of, plenty of people have been scandalized and disgusted by the Sandusky case, casey anthony, josh powell, Syria, the Holocaust, lynchings, Hurricane Katrina, etc., etc.

I think that certain things are barometers for society's norms and values. In this case, it wasn't simply "an adult" as you state. It was a grandma. An elderly person. Among the most vulnerable. And she was being tormented by young people.

That episode on the bus was seen by many as the last straw in societal decay, the culmination of decades in which we have seen the disappearance of integrity, accountability, valor, and just good old fashioned manners. The response you are seeing is society stating that we are fed up and not going to allow society to tip so far into the pits that it cannot be retrieved.

Just because people are supporting this lone, elderly lady does not mean the rest and even more horrible of horrors in our world go unnoticed or unlamented. And millions of people contribute in many, different ways every single day to eradicating horror, wherever it occurs, regardless of degree.
    BBM.I like to add the ever increasing social apathy to that in our current society.
    After all there were other kids on the bus plus a bus driver.
    It is scary. The grandmother did apparently not complain to the school either, and/or reported the culprits. That is also very disturbing.
    Guess she knows from prior experience, it would not do any good and could result in losing her job for making waves. When those punks did that to an elderly lady , I shudder to think what atrocities they do to their peers.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rotterdam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rotterdam View Post
    BBM.I like to add the ever increasing apathy to that in our current society.
    It is scary. The grandmother did apparently not complain to the school either, and/or reported the culprits. That is also very disturbing.
    Guess she knows from prior experience, it would not do any good and could result in losing her job for making waves. When those punks did that to an elderly lady , I shudder to think what atrocities they do to their peers.
    Don't want to think about it. Even worse, what they will be like when they are older. Speaking of that, Dr. Peter Langman wrote a book called Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters. In the book, he talks about how many of these school shooters have a history of bullying and are the bullies.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Why-Kids-Kill-Inside-Shooters/dp/0230608027"]Amazon.com: Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters (9780230608023): Peter Langman: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416tQmKfB5L.@@AMEPARAM@@416tQmKfB5L[/ame]
    Last edited by HMSHood; 06-25-2012 at 11:20 PM.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood

43. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post

But she was employed as a bus monitor. She wasn't some old lady sitting on her front porch beseiged by teenagers. Her job was to keep unruly children in line, and that was why she was there, accepting a paycheck for keeping order on the bus. Her job, that she was being paid for, was to shut this kind of thing down and protect the other children on the bus who weren't behaving this way.

I am not unsympathetic to her - it's sad and awful to watch - but I shudder to think of what could have happened to other children on the bus, on her watch.

Really, my post was about surprise about what grabs the collective attention of our nation. Natalee Holloway, Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, Lindsay Lohan, Caylee Anthony. And now this, the bus monitor who was harassed by rude middle schoolers on the bus where she was collecting a salary to keep order.

All the while, I doubt 5% of the American public could intelligently discuss the landmark supreme court decision handed down yesterday upholding Arizona's right to check citizenship status of criminals.

I'm just always surprised, that's all.
    Last edited by JeannaT; 06-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rotterdam View Post
    BBM.I like to add the ever increasing social apathy to that in our current society.
    She didn't report this, that's true, and my guess is had she reported what happened she probably would have lost her job. I would have to think that was top on her mind - you can't keep a job as a disciplinary figure on a bus if you report that you were unable to control the children. Had she taken a stand, taken names and then marched into the principal's office after that shift that would be different - but she didn't take any measures at all during this long episode of miserable behavior by these kids. That's what's at the heart of this, IMHO, she was not in a position to be able to report this story - it would be tantamount to resigning from her job. I don't see it as losing her job "for making waves", but rather, making it clear to her employers that she doesn't have the skills she's hired to have. It's not like a classroom teacher who's hired to teach. She's hired to keep those kids in line, that's her sole job.
    Last edited by JeannaT; 06-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    But she was employed as a bus monitor. She wasn't some old lady sitting on her front porch beseiged by teenagers. Her job was to keep unruly children in line, and that was why she was there, accepting a paycheck for keeping order on the bus. Her job, that she was being paid for, was to shut this kind of thing down and protect the other children on the bus who weren't behaving this way.

I am not unsympathetic to her - it's sad and awful to watch - but I shudder to think of what could have happened to other children on the bus, on her watch.

Really, my post was about surprise about what grabs the collective attention of our nation. Natalee Holloway, Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, Lindsay Lohan, Caylee Anthony. And now this, the bus monitor who was harassed by rude middle schoolers on the bus where she was collecting a salary to keep order.

All the while, I doubt 5% of the American public could intelligently discuss the landmark supreme court decision handed down yesterday upholding Arizona's right to check citizenship status of criminals.

I'm just always surprised, that's all.
    You mean the landmark case that gutted 75% of the Arizona legislation? Perhaps that's true - 5% couldn't intelligently discuss that decision but almost every American is aware of it, IMO and millions have commented on it.

You stated you could not understand why this lady's case is getting so much attention and why people are fascinated with this case as opposed to others. There seemed to be a bit of condescension in that post, IMO. I explained why such a case would grab the public's attention so strongly. I thought I did a pretty good job of it. Maybe not, because your response was to simply state she wasn't doing her job. Could be true but it is not a response to arguments as to why this incident was so important to the public.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

48. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast