Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1492

Thread: AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #2

Quote Originally Posted by gliving View Post
    Chessie's fb page mentions a prayer vigil tonight.

Zeaux, do you know if the family searched for Brittney this weekend? Have they been actively searching? I have to say if I thought there was any chance my daughter was out there somewhere, I'd be searching sunup to sundown.
    There was an organized search Saturday in the Grand Bay area.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zeaux For This Useful Post:

There were several FB posts about her phone being turned back on a few days later. Do we know where the phone was at that time? It might be that LE remotely turned on the phone. They can even look through the phone's camera to see it's surroundings and listen in to ambient conversations through the phone's microphone.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaux View Post
    There was an organized search Saturday in the Grand Bay area.
    Was it a Klaaskids search? Were her parents there? Thanks Zeaux!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:

Was it a Klaaskids search? Were her parents there? Thanks Zeaux!
    I know Mobile PD was there, and I'm pretty sure KlaasKids was, but I haven't heard since to confirm that. Her parents were there.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeaux For This Useful Post:

There were several FB posts about her phone being turned back on a few days later. Do we know where the phone was at that time? It might be that LE remotely turned on the phone. They can even look through the phone's camera to see it's surroundings and listen in to ambient conversations through the phone's microphone.
    I know there was been talk about it being turned back on, but I don't know that it has ever been verified. It may have been one statement being repeated, then becoming accepted as fact.

If it was turned back on, it didn't ping. The very last ping whatsoever was the one at 1:47 am, June 1 from Grand Bay.

Her parents are very well aware that the phone may have been in Grand Bay, but that doesn't mean BW was, and they remind LE of that. Her phone has yet to be found. It was prepaid and now the minutes are expired so I don't know what that means in terms of what LE can do with it. I'm not that tech savvy.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeaux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsquare View Post
    I will say it again: the parents perpetuate the cycle of poverty and abuse. They do nothing to get their kids out of that life. I raised two and there was never a question of dropping out of school. Do these kinds of parents just not care? Give up? Do they think it is ok to let their daughters - who have children - just take off and walk to who-knows-where? I guess i am just not getting why nobody in this clan gives a rip.
    I don't think that it's true that nobody "gives a rip". Her parents and siblings love her very much. They might not be well educated nor did they have upstanding role models themselves (trust me, they did not), but they're doing the best they know how. Sure they've made mistakes, but it wasn't out of lack of concern for their children. They live in a poor state with very limited social organizations set up to help them learn how to improve. I'm not making excuses, I'm just explaining how it happens that kids growing up with poor role models never learn how to break the cycle.

Like I said before, I hope the silver lining is they do learn some new skills so the next generation is different.

I know there was been talk about it being turned back on, but I don't know that it has ever been verified. It may have been one statement being repeated, then becoming accepted as fact.

If it was turned back on, it didn't ping. The very last ping whatsoever was the one at 1:47 am, June 1 from Grand Bay.

Her parents are very well aware that the phone may have been in Grand Bay, but that doesn't mean BW was, and they remind LE of that. Her phone has yet to be found. It was prepaid and now the minutes are expired so I don't know what that means in terms of what LE can do with it. I'm not that tech savvy.
    Thanks Zeaux.

Not directed at you, but if it was important I'm sure LE would communicate with the cell phone provider to feed the phone some minutes to keep it active.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:

I have never heard he did meth. Pain pills, yes, he had prescriptions. Pot, I'd say more than likely.
    Did he allow drug use in his home while his children were home? If so, I have to wonder how complicit his wife was...

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks Zeaux.

Not directed at you, but if it was important I'm sure LE would communicate with the cell phone provider to feed the phone some minutes to keep it active.
    I hadn't thought of that. I've always been on a plan with a major carrier, so I know next to nothing about anything else with cell phones.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeaux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey*Girl View Post
    Did he allow drug use in his home while his children were home? If so, I have to wonder how complicit his wife was...
    I have no idea. If the allegations of sexual abuse are true, then I'd say he's capable of most anything. MOO I consider child predators the worst kind of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by fabvab View Post
    I hope Child Protective Services is taking some serious notes or that other people step up and report things that so far have gone unreported regarding abuse against these kids.
    DH faces no charges now, but I hope a Judge demands counseling for his victim.
    I'd even take it a step further to inquire about grades in school & extra curricular activities, how many absent days, dental & health, etc.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

I don't think that it's true that nobody "gives a rip". Her parents and siblings love her very much. They might not be well educated nor did they have upstanding role models themselves (trust me, they did not), but they're doing the best they know how. Sure they've made mistakes, but it wasn't out of lack of concern for their children. They live in a poor state with very limited social organizations set up to help them learn how to improve. I'm not making excuses, I'm just explaining how it happens that kids growing up with poor role models never learn how to break the cycle.

Like I said before, I hope the silver lining is they do learn some new skills so the next generation is different.
    There are plenty of young people that have educated and upstanding role models and they still chose to be in similiar situations. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Smugshots For This Useful Post:

FootballMom, that timeline is just going above and beyond. You are so committed to helping BW. I hope one day she knows to what length strangers went to help bring her home.

I have no idea. If the allegations of sexual abuse are true, then I'd say he's capable of most anything. MOO I consider child predators the worst kind of evil.
    So do I. Sharing drugs is wantonly enabling somebody. It's scary to know he had an addiction to certain pain meds & shared them. It's even more creepy knowing he killed himself right before he was supposed to be interviewed again. I wonder if a pain killer could have been used on the child. Half a tab would have knocked her out.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

FootballMom, that timeline is just going above and beyond. You are so committed to helping BW. I hope one day she knows to what length strangers went to help bring her home.
    Totally awesome! I agree! Thank you Footballmom!

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smugshots View Post
    There are plenty of young people that have educated and upstanding role models and they still chose to be in similiar situations. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    Yep, and conversely we see children raised in the worst of circumstances grow up to achieve amazing goals.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smugshots View Post
    That's so true, too. I've seen many examples of that.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeaux For This Useful Post:

Yep, and conversely we see children raised in the worst of circumstances grow up to achieve amazing goals.
    Absolutely! Some alongside those that do the opposite. All things are possible. Sometimes a caring teacher, friend and their family, school counselor, etc. can provide the extra that nudges that child in a different direction.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zeaux For This Useful Post:

Something bothers me about her dropping out in 8th grade, though. I mean, that's just not normal. Doesn't a teen have to be the age of 16 before legally being allowed to drop out of school, and age 16 would also require parental signatures. Otherwise, once the age of 18 is reached, a child wouldn't need an adult signature bc they'd have the right to do it theirself. In NJ now, the law is even if you're 18 you can't quit school without parental signature. So how could Brittney quit in 8th grade? That would mean she was 16 in 8th grade? For real? So if that's the case, why wasn't the government involved at that time? What was the reason for quitting? Was something happening to her ?

35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

I can just picture DH in a wife beater t-shirt (turning head to puke). I imagine he did as he pleased.
    JMOO

37. The Following User Says Thank You to fabvab For This Useful Post:

Speaking of BW dropping out of school in 8th grade:

Who cannot be licensed to drive in Alabama?
    An Alabama driver license shall not be issued to:
    1.Persons under 16 years of age. (See Pages 2-4 for exceptions)
    2.Any person who's driving rights or privilege is suspended or revoked in any state.
    3.Any person afflicted with or suffering from a physical or mental impairment which, in the opinion of the Director of Public Safety or examining officer, will prevent such person from exercising reasonable and ordinary control over a motor vehicle.
    4.Any person failing to pass the examination when required.
    5.Any person who is a habitual drunkard or addicted to the use of narcotic drugs.
    6.Any person who is under the age of 19, not in compliance with Alabama Act 93-368, which requires secondary school graduation or current attendance, with limited exclusions

I realize Brittney is 19, but this is probably why she didn't drive -

http://dps.alabama.gov/Home/wfConten...Q#anchor571797
    Chatty

39. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ChattyWoman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey*Girl View Post
    Something bothers me about her dropping out in 8th grade, though. I mean, that's just not normal. Doesn't a teen have to be the age of 16 before legally being allowed to drop out of school, and age 16 would also require parental signatures. Otherwise, once the age of 18 is reached, a child wouldn't need an adult signature bc they'd have the right to do it theirself. In NJ now, the law is even if you're 18 you can't quit school without parental signature. So how could Brittney quit in 8th grade? That would mean she was 16 in 8th grade? For real? So if that's the case, why wasn't the government involved at that time? What was the reason for quitting? Was something happening to her ?
    In 2009 Alabama changed the law from 16 to 17 to drop out.

I think BW's birthday is in the Fall which would have made her one of the oldest in her grade. And she might have she failed 1 or 2 yrs (due to moving a lot...excessive absences...learning issues from being absent...bad attitude). Maybe she started 9th grade then turned 16 and quit and thought it was cool to say 8th grade.

It makes me angry and sad at the same time.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2009/may/1...ge-ar-2128699/

41. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fabvab For This Useful Post:

Jersey,
    I think schools have a difficult time when families move a lot. I think families up and move if they think the school is going to contact child services or if the school threatens to get courts involved. They fly or flee under the radar to keep from being reported. I think schools have to build a case in order to get it into the court system. Something is broke about that though.

JMOO

Do we know if BW moved a lot as a child?

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fabvab For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fabvab View Post
    In 2009 Alabama changed the law from 16 to 17 to drop out.

I think BW's birthday is in the Fall which would have made her one of the oldest in her grade. And she might have she failed 1 or 2 yrs (due to moving a lot...excessive absences...learning issues from being absent...bad attitude). Maybe she started 9th grade then turned 16 and quit and thought it was cool to say 8th grade.

It makes me angry and sad at the same time.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2009/may/1...ge-ar-2128699/
    I thought I read 'somewhere' that Brittney was in foster care or a group home at one point due to bad conditions at home. Does anyone remember hearing that?
    imo

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gliving For This Useful Post:

Absolutely! Some alongside those that do the opposite. All things are possible. Sometimes a caring teacher, friend and their family, school counselor, etc. can provide the extra that nudges that child in a different direction.
    But the child or children NEED to be in SCHOOL!
    An Education makes the world of difference and also could mean a different world for the child! There is no excuse for a child to quit school in 8th grade im sorry....You want your children to have a better life than the one you had right?

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:

Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast