NV - Duran Bailey, 44, murdered, mutilated, Las Vegas, 8 July 2001

believe09

Reaction score
Change.Org and the Innocence Project are partnering to get Kristen Blaise Lobato out prison on a wrongful conviction.

In 2002 at 19 years old, Kirstin was convicted for the murder and sexual assault of a homeless man named Duran Bailey in Las Vegas. But there was no physical evidence tying Kirstin to the crime and the evidence that was tested for DNA actually excluded her. There were four identifiable crime scene fingerprints - none matched Kirstin’s. A bloody shoe print was found next to the body and a footprint expert testified that it came from a “U.S. men’s size 9 athletic shoe.” Pubic hair found on the victim was tested for DNA and the results excluded both Blaise and the victim as the hair’s source. Multiple people testified that Kirstin was nearly 200 miles away from Las Vegas at the time of the crime.
I know Kristin's case inside and out-it is physically impossible that she committed this crime and it is time to set her free. We will be featuring more on her case on Websleuths but in the interim, please sign this petition at Change to pressure the authorities to set her free.

PETITION HERE

Check out some of the comments:

B R
3 months ago

75 people like this reason

Because I used to live up the street from Blaise and her family in Panaca and I know for a fact myself she was home when this crime was committed. It happens to be one of the worst miscarriages of justice I have ever seen! It is discusting that this young lady is still in prison for a crime she DID NOT Commit!

N M
3 months ago

25 people like this reason

As citizens of countries (mine and yours) that promote the appearance of justice – fair trials – innocent until proven guilty – it is inconsistent to not at least allow someone to prove they are innocent - not while at the same time we are sending our troops overseas to risk their lives to stand up for oppressed people in other countries with similar issues. Just to be clear here - it’s not OK to have an innocent person behind bars.

Please forgive me for misspelling her name...I was typing too quickly. It is Kirstin.

Holy crap! How did she even get "involved" in a case that happened 200 miles away? Obviously, she was a complete stranger to this homeless guy...but how did LE decide she would be a suspect?

Holy crap! How did she even get "involved" in a case that happened 200 miles away? Obviously, she was a complete stranger to this homeless guy...but how did LE decide she would be a suspect?

She bounced back and forth between Las Vegas and Panaca, Nevada. She says in May, she was attacked in the parking lot of her Las Vegas apartment. The attacker attempted to rape her, so she pulled a knife out of her pocket and cut at the man's penis, disabling him. She fled the area.

But she talked to A LOT of people about that attack, and one of those people talked to a probation officer, who called the Las Vegas police. In her statement to police, they talk about another woman Blaise told them had been attacked by the man, and she said her attack happened over a month prior. No followup question.

thanks, SW...I typed out a big long reply and then lost it to whatever magic genie sweeps posts away when there is a thunderstorm.

Yours was much more succinct.

That magic genie is WAY too busy around here, it's eaten quite a few of my comments. I thought it was my computer........

thanks, SW...I typed out a big long reply and then lost it to whatever magic genie sweeps posts away when there is a thunderstorm.

Yours was much more succinct.

We are putting together a plan to profile this case here on WS. We are lining up a special radio show that will include it and then roll out something where we can all start digging. I remember the first thing I thought after I had waded through all of the material the first time-this is the USA. Railroading happens in dictatorship countries, not here.

How wrong could I be?

We are putting together a plan to profile this case here on WS. We are lining up a special radio show that will include it and then roll out something where we can all start digging. I remember the first thing I thought after I had waded through all of the material the first time-this is the USA. Railroading happens in dictatorship countries, not here.

How wrong could I be?

Any luck/progress with setting up her case to be profiled? I reread all the documentation the other night and I just can't see her being guilty. Bad hearsay rulings by the judge amongst other injustices!

She bounced back and forth between Las Vegas and Panaca, Nevada. She says in May, she was attacked in the parking lot of her Las Vegas apartment. The attacker attempted to rape her, so she pulled a knife out of her pocket and cut at the man's penis, disabling him. She fled the area.

But she talked to A LOT of people about that attack, and one of those people talked to a probation officer, who called the Las Vegas police. In her statement to police, they talk about another woman Blaise told them had been attacked by the man, and she said her attack happened over a month prior. No followup question.

Okay, color me confused.
I'm still not getting how she became "connected" to the killing of the homeless man. Is it his penis she cut, and, if so, did that defensive slice kill him? And then a month later a probation officer catches wind and contacts her? Can someone give some more basic details? I'm hesitant to get my initial information from the innocent project site, simply because the one case I've read about on there was a case where I knew some inside information that led me to strongly believe the perp was actually the perp, and all the information on that site seemed incredibly biased.

I'm not dissing the innocence project, just explaining why I'd rather read some information from another source first. Unless, of course, the innocent project site contains court documents or other information.

Hope that made sense. Thanks:) :seeya:

I came here looking for more sources too, because if you read the first bunch of google links that come up, it's OUTLANDISH that this young woman is in prison. I almost want to believe I have to be reading it wrong :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - damn you auto-correct!

I had never heard of this case before.

One question from info I saw online about her appeals. Sorry, no link ...........

One of the things that has been denied in her second trial was the 'witness testimony' of the 8 or so people she'd told her attempted rape story to. I don't understand. If it was this story as told to these 8 people, that led LE to Kirstin as a suspect in the first place, then why couldn't they have them testify at the second trial?

I understand all the hearsay stuff, but because that is what they used as their justification in arresting her in the first place, then why can't they at the least, testify to WHEN she told them? They don't have to tell WHAT? she told them, just WHEN.

Something is up with this judge, IMHO. OR, our legal system.

I swear, I've seen more cases where there were EYE WITNESSES to the accused being somewhere else at the time of the crime, and the jury for some reason doesn't believe them and goes with no witness, no evidence, hear-say, LE.

Just because they arrest someone and even try them, doesn't mean they're guilty. I used to ASSUME that, but no longer. I actually know personally of a person who was arrested and tried for a horrible crime on a child. I didn't believe they did it from the get-go upon hearing of the total circumstances and he was tried and found innocent. But it ruined his life and that of his family's (which included two young children). Oh, and I had a professional relationship with them and was unhappy with my personal dealings at the time (later realized it was most likely my fault it turned out the way it did), so I wasn't basing my thoughts because I liked him, I just felt it was a misunderstanding of the circumstances. Apparently the jury thought so too.

When something like this happens, it's a shame this same judge is allowed to make later rulings as to 'fair trial' and such. Obviously they'll rule against anything that could POSSIBLY making them look bad for their previous decisions.

Hope she gets the judicial system to give her another chance. It looks like she was wrongly convicted to me, at first glance. Of course I could see it differently if I understood more what her conviction was based on, per these jurors.

JMHO
fran

I had never heard of this case before.

One question from info I saw online about her appeals. Sorry, no link ...........

One of the things that has been denied in her second trial was the 'witness testimony' of the 8 or so people she'd told her attempted rape story to. I don't understand. If it was this story as told to these 8 people, that led LE to Kirstin as a suspect in the first place, then why couldn't they have them testify at the second trial?

I understand all the hearsay stuff, but because that is what they used as their justification in arresting her in the first place, then why can't they at the least, testify to WHEN she told them? They don't have to tell WHAT? she told them, just WHEN.

Something is up with this judge, IMHO. OR, our legal system.

I swear, I've seen more cases where there were EYE WITNESSES to the accused being somewhere else at the time of the crime, and the jury for some reason doesn't believe them and goes with no witness, no evidence, hear-say, LE.

Just because they arrest someone and even try them, doesn't mean they're guilty. I used to ASSUME that, but no longer. I actually know personally of a person who was arrested and tried for a horrible crime on a child. I didn't believe they did it from the get-go upon hearing of the total circumstances and he was tried and found innocent. But it ruined his life and that of his family's (which included two young children). Oh, and I had a professional relationship with them and was unhappy with my personal dealings at the time (later realized it was most likely my fault it turned out the way it did), so I wasn't basing my thoughts because I liked him, I just felt it was a misunderstanding of the circumstances. Apparently the jury thought so too.

When something like this happens, it's a shame this same judge is allowed to make later rulings as to 'fair trial' and such. Obviously they'll rule against anything that could POSSIBLY making them look bad for their previous decisions.

Hope she gets the judicial system to give her another chance. It looks like she was wrongly convicted to me, at first glance. Of course I could see it differently if I understood more what her conviction was based on, per these jurors.

JMHO
fran

Something is up with LE, the prosecutor and the judge. This should never have made it to trial. If you take a look at the early days of the investigation, there are a very very very clear set of suspects early on. LE was completely sidetracked by the call from that put Kirstin in their sites. And then as info developed, so did a pissing match. imvho.

If any of you know me at all, I am very LE focused. But I am not blinded by that admiration, and this was a railroad imo.

Kirstin at the time was a very unsympathetic character and it wasnt hard for both juries, having been given a very small amount of information, to determine the killing was some how possible and that she had actually confessed to it...which she hadnt.

One of the keys here, to me, is finding the guy she thinks she wounded. There has to be a hospital with an ER that had a guy come through the door with a knife injury to the groin. There is an LE report somewhere about that incident. I am convinced.

Okay, color me confused.
I'm still not getting how she became "connected" to the killing of the homeless man. Is it his penis she cut, and, if so, did that defensive slice kill him? And then a month later a probation officer catches wind and contacts her? Can someone give some more basic details? I'm hesitant to get my initial information from the innocent project site, simply because the one case I've read about on there was a case where I knew some inside information that led me to strongly believe the perp was actually the perp, and all the information on that site seemed incredibly biased.

I'm not dissing the innocence project, just explaining why I'd rather read some information from another source first. Unless, of course, the innocent project site contains court documents or other information.

Hope that made sense. Thanks:) :seeya:

The documents are out there, flourish. Just about all of them. There are trial transcripts and the like. This whole quest is a book, and I hope someone writes it some day.

The probation officer put Kirstin in the way of LE-the murder of Duran Bailey was high profile, iirc, because of the manner of his death. It was a heinous crime. Probation officer Laura Johnson called the detectives investigating Bailey's murder with a third hand account of Kirstin's story of being attacked and wounding her assailant.

And off they went. She thought she was confessing to a different crime, they assumed she was confessing to Bailey's.

However, any reasonable human being who read the manner of death, met Kirstin and spoke with the witnesses that saw her 200 miles away would have known they were not on the right track. Just my candid opinion.

Oh and, within hours of the discovery of the body the detectives had someone with motive and her implication of two others that were suspects for the crime.

Change.Org and the Innocence Project are partnering to get Kristen Blaise Lobato out prison on a wrongful conviction.

I know Kristin's case inside and out-it is physically impossible that she committed this crime and it is time to set her free. We will be featuring more on her case on Websleuths but in the interim, please sign this petition at Change to pressure the authorities to set her free.

PETITION HERE

--- wanted to bump this post

I saw this case on a doco recently and looked it up on www.justice4kirsten.com. There is an item there stating that the Nevada Supreme Court has granted a motion to allow for a continuance for oral arguments, and these will now be in September. I don't speak legalese so I was hoping someone could explain what the oral arguments relate to. Is this to do with an appeal or are they still trying to get DNA testing?

This case is an absolute travesty and it's frightening to see what police and prosecutors are prepared to do to get a conviction, regardless of whether it is the perpetrator.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back