CANADA Canada - Mary Hammond, Brantford ON, 8 Sept 1983

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/20...ation-into-1983-disappearance-of-mary-hammond
"At the time of her disappearance, Mary was five-foot-ten, 140 pounds with long straight reddish-brown hair, brown eyes and a fair complexion. She was last seen wearing a blue, mauve and red lumber jacket, blue jeans, white Adidas running shoes with a silver stripe and a yellow T-shirt.

During the initial 1983 investigation, police received information that a pickup truck left the rear of the bakery around the time Mary disappeared. The truck was seen parked at the back of the bakery parking lot and later driving through the rear lot. It was described as an older brown pickup, possibly a Ford, with painted bumpers and round headlights. Despite public appeals and an exhaustive police investigation, no truck matching that description was ever found.

The investigation grew cold, but Mary's disappearance was never forgotten.

In an interview with The Expositor in 2008, Larry Hammond said the pain of Mary's loss still rolls over him when he is alone. He said her disappearance shattered him and tore his spirit away."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/06/21/19905861.html
"It is hoped that the advancement in technology and forensic sciences, combined with the continued dedication of our officers and information from our community, that we will be able to determine what happened to Mary Hammond and bring some closure to her family,” Brantford police said in a statement. “Investigators have recently spoken to people, and there are others yet to be interviewed who may have information to assist us in our investigation.

If anyone with information has hesitated to come forward over the years or feels guilty for keeping their secret, police urge them to speak.

No one, police said, should feel guilty about coming forth at any point to assist in an investigation, especially in situation where someone's wife, daughter or loved one like Mary Hammond, has disappeared under such suspicious circumstances".

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/a...-open-29-year-old-cold-case-of-hamilton-woman
"Hammond was born in Copetown, graduated from high school in Dundas and was married only four months when she disappeared, according to the Brantford Expositor.

Brantford police recently identified new evidence in the case which helped “strongly” identify people who may have been involved, including a former Brantford resident who is now dead.

Police have now searched a Market Street residence in Brantford and are awaiting forensic results."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Sergeant Kristen Bell-Samson at 519-756-0113, ext. 2265 or Brant-Brantford Crime Stoppers at 519-750-8477 or 1-800-222-8477. Webtips can be made at http://bit.ly/rlEw0S

http://www.brantfordpolice.ca/modules/news/index.php?Nid=423
"Walking north on Park Road North (now Wayne Gretzky Parkway) she passed the Massey-Ferguson factory and cut across the field towards the rear of the bakery. Approximately 4:00 a.m. a co-worker called Mary's husband asking why she hadn't arrived at work. Her footprints were followed to the property line at the rear of the bakery and to a point where Mary cut across a field. They then disappeared.

Police were notified. Evidence at the scene included some items from her lunch, a cup, dish and a half-eaten apple, one of Mary's white sockettes and a small quantity of blood in an area of the field."

"The investigation also enabled police to obtain judicial authorization to search a residence at 143 Market Street, Brantford. The search has been conducted during the past week by the Brantford Police Service Forensic Identification Unit with the assistance of our policing partners with specific expertise. Although no human remains were found during the search, investigators are awaiting the results from the forensic testing of evidence gathered. The current resident of 143 Market Street is not connected to the investigation.

The whereabouts of Mary Hammond is still unknown."

This is a very interesting case, and thanks for bringing it here. (Also, congrats on your 3000th post, above!)

This is a very interesting case, and thanks for bringing it here. (Also, congrats on your 3000th post, above!)

Hey, I almost missed that wow - 3000, thanks Wfgodot..maybe a "lucky' posting for someone!

Thanks for posting, Dotr. Hope the new events bring forth closure for her husband and family.

In an interview with The Expositor in 2008, Larry Hammond said the pain of Mary's loss still rolls over him when he is alone. He said her disappearance shattered him and tore his spirit away.

Years after Mary vanished, Larry finally resumed the strength to remarry, having filed for divorce instead of wading through the legal morass of having Mary legally declared dead.

Still, he would occasionally retreat to the past, pull out a well-worn wedding album and leaf through the pages of a past life.

“I just hope one day the truth will be found and we can give her a decent burial. I just want her put to rest,” he said.

For many years, decades actually, two cardboard boxes of evidence in the Mary Hammond case have perched high on the shelves of the city police department evidence room. They contain the physical evidence, reports and witness statements gathered during the long investigation.

The bold block letters in black marker spelling out, “Unsolved. Mary Hammond,” are blunt and, in a way, very sad.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/06/21/city-police-reopen-investigation-into-1983-disappearance-of-mary-hammond

anyone have access to property records to see who owned that residence in 1983? I realize it could've been a tenant or someone else living there or even a visitor

I found the house on google streetview - it's big and quite conceivable that it was rented out or even was a rooming house in 1983

it's in a bit of a commercial area too, I noticed, with the John Howard Society and many businesses nearby

anyone have access to property records to see who owned that residence in 1983? I realize it could've been a tenant or someone else living there or even a visitor

I found the house on google streetview - it's big and quite conceivable that it was rented out or even was a rooming house in 1983

it's in a bit of a commercial area too, I noticed, with the John Howard Society and many businesses nearby

I might be able to track that down, although the older records are a little harder to come by. I'll see what I can find.

I just realized that more than one person may be involved in Mary's disappearance, which seems really odd...I was looking for a video about this case but could not find one
http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120623/hammond_2012_06_23/20120623/?hub=SWOHome
" Police were able to identify new evidence. This evidence has helped investigators over the past 2 years to strongly identify people who may have been involved in Mary's disappearance, including a former resident of Brantford who is now deceased"

Sorry folks, me again.Well I found this extra info interesting, also there is a video about the case, somewhere...
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/06/22/mary-hammond-case-was-always-active

Heather Ibbotson, Brantford Expositor

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:36:42 EDT PM

"At one point, “we even looked into a guy in the U.S.” as a possible suspect, all to no avail. Two city detectives travelled to the U.S. to interview a serial killer drifter in custody, but he had an alibi for the time period when Mary disappeared.

Police have appealed to the public for clues through the media several times over the years and Expositor features on the case have kept it in the public's eye and mind.

In the mid-1980s, a re-creation of Mary's disappearance on a Hamilton television show generated some tips but, again, nothing panned out.

Another time, again in the mid-1980s, police thought they had their man in the person of a psychopath from out west who had been in Brantford during the time that Mary had disappeared. Investigators interviewed him but determined he was not involved.

Mary's case earned so much notoriety that police were contacted by clairvoyants who thought they could help with the investigation. City police officers followed up on these tips but, unfortunately, the psychic's visions did not lead anywhere.

Despite the passage of time and all the false leads over the years, the news that police have re-opened the case and are conducting an active investigation brings renewed hope for answers to members of Mary's family"

I was happy to see this story get covered in the Star today, maybe it will spur someone to give a tip, or even a little hint about where Mary might be now...Hmm, thinking about MH working at TimH. before working at the bakery..
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1218193--30-year-old-cold-case-reopened-in-brantford

"Police couldn’t say whether Hammond was dead. But she disappeared under very suspicious circumstances, said Pottruff, and there has been no contact from her since then.

“I’ve waited a long time. Hopefully this will give me some conclusion, some closure,” said Larry Hammond.

He said police have contacted him every time a body has been found back east. Finding out what happened to his young wife will give him a chance to say goodbye."

Anyone with information regarding Mary Hammond’s disappearance is asked to contact Sgt. Kristen Bell-Samson at 519-756-0113, ext. 2265.

Wondering if any headway has been made in this case and who the other poi might be?
Where is Mary now?
One poi as previously stated by LE is deceased, how about the others who may hold information in this case? imo.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/368dfon.html
MHammond.jpg
"Mary Emma Hammond
Missing since September 8, 1983 from Brantford, Ontario Canada
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 1, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10; 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Reddish brown, straight hair; brown eyes. She has a fair complexion. Her maiden name is "Bisenthal."
Marks, Scars: Hammond has a mole on her chin.
Clothing: Hammond was last seen wearing a blue, mauve and red lumber jacket; jeans; a yellow t-shirt; and white Adidas running shoes with a silver stripe.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Hammond left her home for work at approximately 3:30 on September 8, 1983 in Brantford, Ontario Canada. She walked from her family's Elgin Street residence to the former Buns Master Bakery on Morton Avenue, where she was employed. Hammond took Park Road North (now called the Wayne Gretzky Parkway) and passed the Massey-Ferguson Factory. She then cut across a field toward the back of the Buns Master Bakery building.

One of Hammond's coworkers phoned her husband at approximately 4:00, inquiring as to why she had not reported to work. The police were summoned and Hammond's footprints were followed to the back of the bakery, then vanished. Authorities discovered items from her lunch at the scene, including a cup, dish, and a partially eaten apple. One of Hammond's socks was recovered and a small amount of blood was seen on the ground.

A brown, 1974 - 1978 pickup truck, possibly a Ford, was seen near the back of the bakery at the time of Hammond's disappearance. The vehicle was last seen driving through the company's rear parking lot. It is described as an older-model brown truck which was possibly a Ford. The vehicle's bumpers were painted and it had round headlights. The truck has never been located".

http://doenetwork.org/cases/368dfon.html
View attachment 84907
"Mary Emma Hammond
Missing since September 8, 1983 from Brantford, Ontario Canada
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 1, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10; 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Reddish brown, straight hair; brown eyes. She has a fair complexion. Her maiden name is "Bisenthal."
Marks, Scars: Hammond has a mole on her chin.
Clothing: Hammond was last seen wearing a blue, mauve and red lumber jacket; jeans; a yellow t-shirt; and white Adidas running shoes with a silver stripe.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Hammond left her home for work at approximately 3:30 on September 8, 1983 in Brantford, Ontario Canada. She walked from her family's Elgin Street residence to the former Buns Master Bakery on Morton Avenue, where she was employed. Hammond took Park Road North (now called the Wayne Gretzky Parkway) and passed the Massey-Ferguson Factory. She then cut across a field toward the back of the Buns Master Bakery building.

One of Hammond's coworkers phoned her husband at approximately 4:00, inquiring as to why she had not reported to work. The police were summoned and Hammond's footprints were followed to the back of the bakery, then vanished. Authorities discovered items from her lunch at the scene, including a cup, dish, and a partially eaten apple. One of Hammond's socks was recovered and a small amount of blood was seen on the ground.

A brown, 1974 - 1978 pickup truck, possibly a Ford, was seen near the back of the bakery at the time of Hammond's disappearance. The vehicle was last seen driving through the company's rear parking lot. It is described as an older-model brown truck which was possibly a Ford. The vehicle's bumpers were painted and it had round headlights. The truck has never been located".
Dotr, do you know if the UID at Bowmanville has been sent in as a possible match for Mary?

Does anyone have any photos or areal shots/artists' rendition of the area in 1983? The area has changed quite a bit in the past 36 years. Also, I couldn't find any news articles to say where exactly she lived on Elgin Street. Trying to get a good visual of the typical walk she would make at that time. Also, very interested in the crime statistics for Brantford in 1983. There was some economic downturn (with plant closures and people losing employment) leading up to 1983, which was a contributing factor in the crime rate. I read somewhere (and sorry I can't recall the articles) that the Crime Rate at the time was at it's highest..but I can't find any breakdown (i.e. primarily theft/burglary/drug related offences).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back