MO - Malnourished child found locked in closet

davehead21

Reaction score
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -
Kansas City police are investigating the discovery of a malnourished 10-year-old girl who was found locked in the closet of an apartment Friday.

On Saturday, authorities said charges have been filed against the girl's mother.

Court documents show Jacole Prince, 29, told police she knew she was abusing her child, but she didn't stop

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-cit...15214114/-/qwsbdfz/-/index.html#ixzz1yg0cjKBD

Another non-mothering bio mom. What makes them abuse a particular child? She had other children that weren't imprisoned in a closet. She doesn't deserve chilren, and she does deserve a hefty prison sentence. I hope this girl isn't going to have to suffer physical ailments for life by the more than once occurrences of forced starvation.

In an apartment that reeked of urine, a Kansas City police officer called out.

“Is anyone in here?”

Neighbors had said not a soul was home. But a tiny voice answered from a barricaded closet.

“Yes.”

Officers pushed aside a crib stuffed with blankets and shoes.
Using a pocketknife, they cut open the doors that had been tied shut with a shoelace or rope.

Inside they found a 32-pound, 10-year-old girl surrounded by her own waste.

-------------------------------------

She fit into a 2T shirt suited for a toddler. Her pants, a 4T, sagged on LP’s tiny frame.
Children’s Mercy Hospital officials told authorities that LP had been treated there in 2006 and weighed 26 pounds.
She had gained only six pounds in the six years since that visit, court records showed.

But Baker said an anonymous phone call probably saved the little girl’s life.
Someone called the child abuse hotline for the Missouri Children’s Division.
The caller said three children lived at the apartment, but one child was forced to live inside a closet.

After announcing the charges Saturday, Baker urged people to use the hotline whenever they suspect abuse.
“Friday was really a tremendous day where the hotline was used.
Law enforcement was engaged and this little girl was literally saved from a horrendous situation,”
she said.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/23/3672776/mother-charged-in-closet-girl.html#storylink=cpy

I'm glad that in this child's situation somebody listened to the complaint and saved the child's life.
Too bad other children didn't have a system that worked so well for them.

Another non-mothering bio mom. What makes them abuse a particular child? She had other children that weren't imprisoned in a closet. She doesn't deserve chilren, and she does deserve a hefty prison sentence. I hope this girl isn't going to have to suffer physical ailments for life by the more than once occurrences of forced starvation.

I always wonder what makes a parent single out a child as well.

When I was working for the school district, I had a little boy who had been starved by his mother to the point of having a bloated stomach. He had 4 other siblings who were not abused in the least. I am fairly certain that she was allowed to keep her other children, while the little boy I worked with was removed.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -
Kansas City police are investigating the discovery of a malnourished 10-year-old girl who was found locked in the closet of an apartment Friday.

On Saturday, authorities said charges have been filed against the girl's mother.

Court documents show Jacole Prince, 29, told police she knew she was abusing her child, but she didn't stop

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-cit...15214114/-/qwsbdfz/-/index.html#ixzz1yg0cjKBD

Another story that brings tears to your eyes but also makes you grateful that she is now safe. This girl will receive excellent care at Children's Mercy and where she is placed afterward.

WTH is wrong with people?! I couldn't treat a hamster that way, much less my own child! My 4 year old niece weighs more than her. Can you imagine sitting in the next room stuffing your face while your little girl is starving in the closet? Laying down in your soft bed while she is sitting in her own waste in a tiny closet?

There are sooo many options available if you can't/don't want to raise your child. I will NEVER believe these "parents" do this for any reason except because they get some sort of sick pleasure out of seeing their baby suffer. None of us will ever understand it, so don't bother trying.

Unfortunately from personal experience (and a reference to the book 'A Boy Called It'), it's not uncommon. Once that child is removed the abuse usually shifts to another child, still present.

When I was working for the school district, I had a little boy who had been starved by his mother to the point of having a bloated stomach. He had 4 other siblings who were not abused in the least. I am fairly certain that she was allowed to keep her other children, while the little boy I worked with was removed.

In one case posted somewhere on this board, the woman didn't like the father of the particular child and that child was resembling his father so that was the reason for his abuse. In the case we are discussing on this thread, the younger two appear to be the daughters of her current boyfriend, whereas the oldest I presume has a different father.

Another starvation case coupled with being locked in a closet. I hope this young lady is able to fully recover from this torture. A huge thank you to the person who called family services. You saved this girls life!

Thank God (literally) someone called. I can't imagine what that poor girl experienced, it breaks my heart. I hope she recovers and lives a long, healthy, beautiful life.

Experts say 32-lb girl faces long recovery (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)

Hospital personnel who saw the child Friday said she had been at the hospital in January 2006 for an unspecified visit and weighed 26 pounds then, according to the probable cause statement. They also told police the 10-year-old wears a 2T, or toddler size, T-shirt, and that the "current diagnosis is multiple healing skin injuries and failure to thrive."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...099-513a-8d3b-65ddb11be4e3.html#ixzz1yrJmlVwr

FWIW, comments on this article earlier today indicated that the child is indeed from a different father than the two differently treated children. Again FWIW, those comments appear to have been removed by STLToday staff at this time.

Mother of 32-lb girl locked in closet arraigned

"Investigators aren't sure why the girl was singled out for abuse, although a probable cause statement stated the mother told police she didn't let the girl leave the house because the child is malnourished and she would "get in trouble if someone saw her," according to the AP.

Investigators said the girl, whom they described as exceptionally sweet, tried to smile the entire time she talked to police.

“She seemed to really want to please everyone,” police Sgt. Roy Murry told the Kansas City Star."

Another heartbreak, those details.

Praying for this girl's healing. Failure to thrive has me scared.

Thank God. This baby could have ended up being another Jhessye Shockley.

Jhessye immediately came to mind. Thank God for that anon call to the hotline. Bless the caller, they saved a life. It feels bittersweet. The ones that are saved only remind me of how many are not :(

Bless this child, may she flourish and thrive.

The mother told police that she puts the 10-year-old in the closet when she leaves the house, securing the door with shoelaces and blocking it with a crib, according to the probable cause statement. She said she did that because her daughter had once gotten out and "eaten until her stomach got big and full."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...099-513a-8d3b-65ddb11be4e3.html#ixzz1yzTcdeMu

Failure to thrive my butt! This baby was starved!! Why on earth are they calling this failure to thrive when the mother makes a statement like that?

Another one??? When does it end???

That mom is scary looking.

Why do they always single out one child? It seems to happen in every case. The other kids are treated "decently" and one is severely abused.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back