Thread #11
Thread #12

Thread #13

Media Thread

laurengiddings-1.jpg

Lauren Teresa Giddings

April 18, 1984 -- June 26, 2011
Rest in Peace

Please, if you can sign up for a specific time/ for specific times, post or pm to let me know, so that I can post a tentative schedule some time Sunday evening (Don't worry -- it won't be written in stone ... but I think it will help somewhat to let others know where the "gaps" are so they can try to fill in with their visits.)

Everyone who is interested in participating,
please remember we will hold a

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

MEMORY VIGIL for LAUREN

12 noon June 25 until 12 noon June 30

th_f8b3370f.gif

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

The idea is to keep at least one person here on Lauren's thread as many hours as possible during the one-year anniversary of those days when Lauren was missing but no one realized it yet -- kind of like being here "with her" during that time.

th_f8b3370f.gif

:grouphug:

I chose the hours so that we could start during the time when Lauren was known to be alive and well a year ago ... and then stay here for her until a time corresponding to when her loved ones knew the sad likelihood that her spirit had moved on and so reached to embrace her precious memory. (And I pray that God will especially bless and comfort all who loved Lauren and all those she loved, too, during this anniversary time.)

It may not be possible for us to have someone here every minute during this time period (it will be great if we can), but let's try to keep this thread well-populated to the extent that we can.

In earlier discussion, it was suggested that this will be a wonderful time to post pictures and memories and anecdotes recalling all that Lauren was and did and accomplished in her life. Let's remember her as so much more than the victim of a horrific crime -- let's celebrate the vibrant, loving and accomplished person who meant so much to so many.

If you have specific time periods when you can participate, please post or pm me to indicate when. I will post a tentative schedule Sunday evening so that those who will need to just "drop in" when they can will be able to have an idea of when they are most needed. (Everyone is welcome to come at any time, of course, to post or just sit quietly, remembering Lauren.)

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

Thanks, BW. I should be around every night after 6:30-7:00 central, but popping in and out betwen modding other threads. I'll also try to check in during the days as time allows.

Night of Panic: The night before Lauren Giddings was found dead, her friends and kin sounded the alarm

Sunday, June 24, 2012

By AMY LEIGH WOMACK and JOE KOVAC JR. — Telegraph staff

From the article, Lauren's mom, Karen Giddings:

In the most depressing times, the thought that keeps running through her mind about losing Lauren, about her life ripped away, is that “I just don’t know why.”
Sometimes she tries to imagine Lauren in the afterlife.

“Of course, I think Lauren’s in heaven, but to think of her on this white, fluffy cloud, it wouldn’t be good enough for her,” Karen says.

“I talked to a priest friend of mine, and he said, ‘She’s not floating around. She’s at this heavenly banquet. There’s a feast and there’s wine.’ ... I try to visualize that, because that is Lauren.”

Amen, Mrs. Giddings, amen.

Night of Panic: The night before Lauren Giddings was found dead, her friends and kin sounded the alarm

Sunday, June 24, 2012

By AMY LEIGH WOMACK and JOE KOVAC JR. — Telegraph staff

From the article, Lauren's mom, Karen Giddings:

In the most depressing times, the thought that keeps running through her mind about losing Lauren, about her life ripped away, is that “I just don’t know why.”
Sometimes she tries to imagine Lauren in the afterlife.

“Of course, I think Lauren’s in heaven, but to think of her on this white, fluffy cloud, it wouldn’t be good enough for her,” Karen says.

“I talked to a priest friend of mine, and he said, ‘She’s not floating around. She’s at this heavenly banquet. There’s a feast and there’s wine.’ ... I try to visualize that, because that is Lauren.”

Amen, Mrs. Giddings, amen.

I have been reading these threads since I became interested in the killing of Lauren Giddings. For the most part, they have been in support of the general assumption that McDaniel is the killer. I agree with this <modsnip>

Sanduskis tried and put away for fondling children, in short order.
Here we hace a young woman cut to pieces by a deranged neighbor and nothing is proceeding.
I hope this case comes to trial soon and justice can be served.

onewayoranother said:

I
In the interest of fairness, Greg Winters had the same bug as the female prosecutor - also coughing, difficult time speaking as well. For what it is worth, the female prosecutor is ordinarily very good at her job. Hopefully they will both be well by the next hearing. Expect to see both prosecutors throughout the process.

I am not criticizing the female prosecutor, she couldn't help the fact she was sick, I am criticizing Winters for putting her up there to explain that horrible mistake. There have been mistakes since the very beginning, starting with Patterson being unprepared by the DA last summer, instead of getting better it just seems to keep getting worse and worse!

I am with you Sonya, it was a mistake to let Nancy get hung out to dry like that, IMHO, and I agree with you NYGiants, it was unreal how quickly Sandusky got his day in court, Hurrah ! This one will be a little slower since it is a death penalty case, but I agree also that Winters needs to make a speedy trial his top priority here. The longer it drags on, again, JMHO, the more likely it is that McD gets off. I can't recall the exact time frames but the FBI evidence gathering from Quantico seemed to take forever, and seemed to take place in two phases , causing speculation that they just ddin't find anything , or that they were given instructions to "go back and look harder, we know he did it " . Any hair or fiber found in the Subaru with the PRAAY license plate ? No? Well, then how did he get rid of the rest of her body ? The evidence , whatever it is, will get cold, but Buford and Hogue can keep working on their defense theories and think of things they haven't thought of before . The macon article brought tears to my eyes, at the end you can feel the mothers sense of loss . This is such a senseless tragedy all the way around

Any hair or fiber found in the Subaru with the PRAAY license plate ? No? Well, then how did he get rid of the rest of her body ?

It is even more surprising if they didn't find any traces of DNA in his apartment. No bloody clothes, no traces of blood or tissue on shoes or tracked on the floor etc? He would have had to be meticulous and well prepared.

If they had real evidence why didn't they use some of it at the last bond hearing as a way of saving face? Were they precluded from introducing more evidence at that hearing? That would have taken much of the focus OFF of the bogus email and made the prosecution look much better, the press would have gone crazy over it. This isn't just about the trial, with the elections coming up time is of the essence.

I am with you Sonya, it was a mistake to let Nancy get hung out to dry like that, IMHO, and I agree with you NYGiants, it was unreal how quickly Sandusky got his day in court, Hurrah ! This one will be a little slower since it is a death penalty case, but I agree also that Winters needs to make a speedy trial his top priority here. The longer it drags on, again, JMHO, the more likely it is that McD gets off. I can't recall the exact time frames but the FBI evidence gathering from Quantico seemed to take forever, and seemed to take place in two phases , causing speculation that they just ddin't find anything , or that they were given instructions to "go back and look harder, we know he did it " . Any hair or fiber found in the Subaru with the PRAAY license plate ? No? Well, then how did he get rid of the rest of her body ? The evidence , whatever it is, will get cold, but Buford and Hogue can keep working on their defense theories and think of things they haven't thought of before . The macon article brought tears to my eyes, at the end you can feel the mothers sense of loss . This is such a senseless tragedy all the way around

bolded #1: I stated this in the last thread, but again I'll say that Winters letting the assistant lead in the courtroom the other day made better sense (and didn't look as bad) once I fully understood from media reports that the defense apparently had planned to call him to the witness stand about the post if necessary. He had no way of knowing how that would pan out, I'd think. Still was awkward, in the watching, but at least that was a fairly good reason, to me.

bolded #2: I've wondered about Stephen's car for a long time now -- can authorities hold it indefinitely if they have not detected "evidence" relating to it? IIRC, as far as we last heard, they still have it. Can they hold for possible need to run further tests, for example, or to make some point about the mileage, or maybe it showed up on camera in some way they plan to use, or something like that -- or does their holding it mean for sure they have forensic evidence like fibers, canine hits/dna, etc. relating more directly and physically to the car? I've felt like this is kind of a dummy question so haven't asked it before, but I just want to hear what others think on this.

Well looks like our reactions are edited by Bessie. Perhaps it is best because I get upset about any positive spin for McDaniel. Lundy mentioned aquittal and it upset me. I overreacted, he appears genuine.

Quite simply, a deranged neighbor who has a track record for being strange, talks about murder and insensitvity to gruesome deaths, talks about a perfect murder, has her clothes in his apt, has master keys, cadaver dogs hit on his apartment when the girl next store is brutally killed. Why is this so confusing to some of you? Where are her remains. It is my contention they are in the river or on the grandfathers property.. Or quite frankly in the woods anywhere around the Macon area. All of this is maddening. I have a special intereset because she was a friend of my family.
There seems to be a disinterest in the case there and that saddens me. I hope this goes to trial in the forseeable future and justice is served. All of you that are following this, may God bless you all.

Well looks like our reactions are edited by Bessie. Perhaps it is best because I get upset about any positive spin for McDaniel. Lundy mentioned aquittal and it upset me. I overreacted, he appears genuine.

Quite simply, a deranged neighbor who has a track record for being strange, talks about murder and insensitvity to gruesome deaths, talks about a perfect murder, has her clothes in his apt, has master keys, cadaver dogs hit on his apartment when the girl next store is brutally killed. Why is this so confusing to some of you? Where are her remains. It is my contention they are in the river or on the grandfathers property.. Or quite frankly in the woods anywhere around the Macon area. All of this is maddening. I have a special intereset because she was a friend of my family.
There seems to be a disinterest in the case there and that saddens me. I hope this goes to trial in the forseeable future and justice is served. All of you that are following this, may God bless you all.

Actually I believe it is YOU that is confused. There is a big difference between COMMITTING a murder and being found guilty of murder in court. I haven't seen anyone on this site screaming from the rooftops that they believe McDaniel is completely innocent, best case scenario is that some people are in doubt until (and if) real evidence is produced.

You may think you know for a fact that he is guilty; you may believe deep down in your heart he should be executed based on circumstantial evidence, however most juries expect real evidence before they sentence a man to death.

That is a good point Backwoods, and makes a lot of sense , and one would have to assume Greg knew that Hogue and Buford wanted to call him as a witness.

That is a good point Backwoods, and makes a lot of sense , and one would have to assume Greg knew that Hogue and Buford wanted to call him as a witness.

Okay I am confused and not that familiar with the law but....

How did not speaking prevent Winters from being grilled by the defense? How is that an excuse for putting the female up to explain things? Winters was sitting RIGHT THERE! The judge decided the defense did not need to grill any prosecutors after they had filed a subpoena (which was for the other prosecutor, not Winters). It isn't like being quiet makes one invisible and the court won't see them.

Having followed Lauren's case from the beginning, I too believe that SM is her killer. The questionable internet post from the bond hearing and the fact that DA Winters did not represent the prosecution for the hearing last Monday is a concern. However, these things are problems for the prosecution lawyers and do not in any way, in my opinion, make me question the strength of and validity of any real evidence (direct or circumstantial) that has been made public about this case. Winter's (maybe) bungling of the bond hearing does not negate the fact that her panties were found in SM's apartment. Forum participants want to know what the actual evidence is. LE has been exceptionally quiet on that issue. I've always thought their quietness is good. The topics you mentioned in your above post are topics that LE has released. I know that justice in Lauren's case seems to be proceeding too slowly. I think that happens a lot in GA when the crime involves a complicated murder trial. In my county many years ago, the trial for the killing of 4 members of one family took years to reach trial and a change of venue.

So far, we don't have many definite time commitments for the vigil. I know some can't make that kind of commitment and that's fine, but if you can commit to a time (state your time zone, please, if not Eastern -- or even better, translate it to Eastern for me!), please go ahead and let me know. I will continue to update the schedule as needed. I know lots of folks (including those of us with times "scheduled" below) will be dropping in as they can, as well.

Also, during the vigil, please remember to post your photos, anecdotes, quotes, and your own thoughts to celebrate Lauren! (Knox has started us off wonderfully with her contribution above.)

SCHEDULE
- (times are Eastern zone)

Mon., June 25 (beginning at noon)
Backwoods: noon - 2:30 p.m.
bessie
: as available after 7:30 p.m.
Backwoods: 10 pm. - midnight

Tues., June 26
pearl
: midnight - 2 a.m.
bessie: as available after 7:30 p.m.
Backwoods: 9:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Wed., June 2
Backwoods: 1 a.m. - 2 a.m.
Backwoods: 9:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Thurs., June 28
pearl
: midnight - 2 a.m.
Backwoods: 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Fri., June 29
Backwoods: 1 a.m. - 3 a.m.

Sat., June 30 (ending at noon)
Backwoods: 10 a.m. - noon

Please, if you can sign up for a specific time/ for specific times, post or pm to let me know.
(Don't worry -- it won't be written in stone ... but I think it will help somewhat to let others know where the "gaps" are so they can try to fill in with their visits.)

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

MEMORY VIGIL for LAUREN

12 noon June 25 until 12 noon June 30

th_f8b3370f.gif

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

The idea is to keep at least one person here on Lauren's thread as many hours as possible during the one-year anniversary of those days when Lauren was missing but no one realized it yet -- kind of like being here "with her" during that time.

th_f8b3370f.gif

:grouphug:

Okay I am confused and not that familiar with the law but....

How did not speaking prevent Winters from being grilled by the defense? How is that an excuse for putting the female up to explain things? Winters was sitting RIGHT THERE! The judge decided the defense did not need to grill any prosecutors after they had filed a subpoena (which was for the other prosecutor, not Winters). It isn't like being quiet makes one invisible and the court won't see them.

I don't know all the legal ins and outs of it either, Sonya, and I'm sure not saying it looked good.

I think you're right that the subpoena was for Wood, but seems Hogue said something to the effect (I couldn't catch all what he said) that what they would really like was to hear from Winters -- and I think I've seen a media report (and drat, I can't locate it) that alluded to that also.

I just think maybe Winters felt there was a possibility he might be called upon in some respect to answer questions about the post and I thought maybe the feeling was it would just look too bad to have him jumping back and forth between roles, so to speak, in one proceeding...? Thinking maybe the assistant was there to fend off any attempt to have him speak because, of course, if she failed, he might have to. But truly, I am not sure.

Well, I've just attempted to add a signature with a candle for Lauren for the vigil -- posting to see if it works.

ETA: Yay! It does!

The preponderance of evidence is as clear as it can be. I am not confused or hoping that reasonable doubt can be raised, as it seems some are. A victory for the law, as it were, with collateral dammage to the very fiber of this country.
The video is also telling as this madman goes into a catatonic state when told there is a body. Oh I am sorry, he was upset about his neighbor being killed.
If you look at the McVeiigh interview with investigators, he is animated and smiling. McDaniel acts the same.:banghead:
We can speculate to the end of time. Hopefully Winters will be defeated, as he should be, in the next election. Then and only then can we hope a competent attorney handles this case.
A year has passed since her death this week.
Guilty until proven innocent.:what:

I don't know all the legal ins and outs of it either, Sonya, and I'm sure not saying it looked good.

I think you're right that the subpoena was for Wood, but seems Hogue said something to the effect (I couldn't catch all what he said) that what they would really like was to hear from Winters -- and I think I've seen a media report (and drat, I can't locate it) that alluded to that also.

I just think maybe Winters felt there was a possibility he might be called upon in some respect to answer questions about the post and I thought maybe the feeling was it would just look too bad to have him jumping back and forth between roles, so to speak, in one proceeding...? Thinking maybe the assistant was there to fend off any attempt to have him speak because, of course, if she failed, he might have to. But truly, I am not sure.

Oh, well, at the hearing , after some discussion that they admitted the internet post was a fake and they were waiting to hear from the FBI the next day, Frank Hogue said, "Your Honor, I call Greg Winters to the stand " He never took the stand, Nancy interrupted , approached Brown and they stipulated that the post should be disregarded in the bond hearing deliberation. Brown said he never took it into any consideration anyway , IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain