646 users online (75 members and 571 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Frostproof, AdmixMale UP10251, 17-23, found hanged behind market, Jan'93

Here's a strange Jan'93 Florida case that is not in DoeNet, and was just recently added to NamUs.

NamUs UP # 10251 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10251

Unidentified White (Possibly Admixed) Male

Found on January 19, 1993 at 11 East H Street, Frostproof (Polk County) Florida

Circumstances:
    Remains found hanging between two (2) walk-in coolers at the rear of a supermarket. Blue wire used to facilitate death.

Physical Description:
    Approximate age: 17 to 23 years
    Weight (pounds): 130, Estimated
    Height (inches): 63, Measured
    Hair: Brown, shoulder-length and straight
    Facial hair: Unshaven with a goatee
    Eye color: Unknown - Eyes Missing
    Skeletal findings: Possible healing fracture to the infraorbital foramen of the right maxilla and fracture of the nose.

Body condition: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
    Estimated postmortem interval: 7 Days

Clothing:
    Gray "Levi" jeans (size 30X30), Long-sleeve light-gray button shirt (manufacturer and size unidentifiable). Tennis shoes, brown with yellow stripes, approximately size 7-1/2 to 8.

Identifiers:
    Fingerprints: Unavailable
    DNA: Sample is currently not available
    Dentals: Available and will be entered later.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-23-2013 at 03:21 AM.

James Michael Baker

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/baker_james.html

He fits exactly on his unusually short height, his age is within range, the timeline is close, and he was last seen in Florida.

The one big negative is that he doesn't seem to fit the "admixed" description of the John Doe.

Also, there is no mention that the John Doe had tattoos, but the body may have been too badly decomposed. The eyes were gone, and they were unable to obtain fingerprints.

Douglas Becker is a shorter biracial (American Indian and White) young man who went missing on November 5, 1992. He went missing on literally the other side of the country (Oak Harbor, WA).

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5836/34
    I don't mean to stereotype, but when I read that the UID was admixed and found in Florida, I thought that he may be someone from Cuba who doesn't really have a lot of family or other ties in the area.

ok. I am scratching my head at this one.

a guy is found hanging between 2 walk-in coolers in a supermarket. estimated to have been dead for about 7 days. state of remains listed as "Decomposing/putrefaction".

no one heard, saw or smelled anything for 7 days inside a supermarket???????

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post

a guy is found hanging between 2 walk-in coolers in a supermarket. estimated to have been dead for about 7 days. state of remains listed as "Decomposing/putrefaction".

Yeah, bizarre.

The actual quote is: "at the rear of a supermarket". I am thinking the coolers were outside at the rear. That would be too strange if they were inside the supermarket at the rear.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like it's the Foodway market.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=11+Ea...gl=us&t=h&z=18

I'd love to know how this was reported in the newspapers back then but I could not seem to find anything online.

anybody on here in the Polk County, FL area that might have access to old newspaper archives?

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post

I work at a supermarket, and you'd be surprised at how bad it can smell in the backroom, especially if it's warm out. The garbage compacter smells horrible, the drains in the floor (especially near the meat department) smell worse, and we have these blue rubbish bins that we use in the back that collect bits of old produce and other perishable items that never really get completely cleaned. As long as a body was out of sight I doubt that I'd be too quick to notice. I'd probably assume it was just the drains again.

I wish his location had a better description. I also though he was found IN the cold section of the supermarket!

A few questions I have about this case:
    • When did camera survelliance start being mandatory for businesses?
    • How accessible was the area he was found in to the public? Was it an employees only area?
    • And was he thought to have died during open or closed hours for the store?
    Who Killed Bryan Smith?

Say hello 2 heaven Chris Cornell