FL FL - Frostproof, AdmixMale UP10251, 17-23, hanged behind market, Jan'93

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a strange Jan'93 Florida case that is not in DoeNet, and was just recently added to NamUs.

NamUs UP # 10251 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10251

Unidentified White (Possibly Admixed) Male

Found on January 19, 1993 at 11 East H Street, Frostproof (Polk County) Florida

Circumstances:
Remains found hanging between two (2) walk-in coolers at the rear of a supermarket. Blue wire used to facilitate death.

Physical Description:
Approximate age: 17 to 23 years
Weight (pounds): 130, Estimated
Height (inches): 63, Measured
Hair: Brown, shoulder-length and straight
Facial hair: Unshaven with a goatee
Eye color: Unknown - Eyes Missing
Skeletal findings: Possible healing fracture to the infraorbital foramen of the right maxilla and fracture of the nose.

Body condition: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Estimated postmortem interval: 7 Days

Clothing:
Gray "Levi" jeans (size 30X30), Long-sleeve light-gray button shirt (manufacturer and size unidentifiable). Tennis shoes, brown with yellow stripes, approximately size 7-1/2 to 8.

Identifiers:
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Sample is currently not available
Dentals: Available and will be entered later.

James Michael Baker

baker_james.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/baker_james.html

He fits exactly on his unusually short height, his age is within range, the timeline is close, and he was last seen in Florida.

The one big negative is that he doesn't seem to fit the "admixed" description of the John Doe.

Also, there is no mention that the John Doe had tattoos, but the body may have been too badly decomposed. The eyes were gone, and they were unable to obtain fingerprints.

Douglas Becker is a shorter biracial (American Indian and White) young man who went missing on November 5, 1992. He went missing on literally the other side of the country (Oak Harbor, WA).

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5836/34
I don't mean to stereotype, but when I read that the UID was admixed and found in Florida, I thought that he may be someone from Cuba who doesn't really have a lot of family or other ties in the area.

ok. I am scratching my head at this one.

a guy is found hanging between 2 walk-in coolers in a supermarket. estimated to have been dead for about 7 days. state of remains listed as "Decomposing/putrefaction".

no one heard, saw or smelled anything for 7 days inside a supermarket???????

a guy is found hanging between 2 walk-in coolers in a supermarket. estimated to have been dead for about 7 days. state of remains listed as "Decomposing/putrefaction".

Yeah, bizarre. :waitasec:

The actual quote is: "at the rear of a supermarket". I am thinking the coolers were outside at the rear. That would be too strange if they were inside the supermarket at the rear.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like it's the Foodway market.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=11+E...+St,+Frostproof,+Florida+33843&gl=us&t=h&z=18

I'd love to know how this was reported in the newspapers back then but I could not seem to find anything online.

anybody on here in the Polk County, FL area that might have access to old newspaper archives?

I work at a supermarket, and you'd be surprised at how bad it can smell in the backroom, especially if it's warm out. The garbage compacter smells horrible, the drains in the floor (especially near the meat department) smell worse, and we have these blue rubbish bins that we use in the back that collect bits of old produce and other perishable items that never really get completely cleaned. As long as a body was out of sight I doubt that I'd be too quick to notice. I'd probably assume it was just the drains again. :twocents:

I wish his location had a better description. I also though he was found IN the cold section of the supermarket!

A few questions I have about this case:
  • When did camera survelliance start being mandatory for businesses?
  • How accessible was the area he was found in to the public? Was it an employees only area?
  • And was he thought to have died during open or closed hours for the store?

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Should perhaps be listed as Hispanic? Listed as Case 9 on this page University of South Florida Scientists, Top Forensic Artists Aim to Help Solve 20 Cold Cases - University of South Florida

"...In January 1993, a body was discovered between two refrigeration units at the rear of a grocery store in Frostproof, Florida. The remains are believed to be those of an 18 - 25 year old Hispanic male, approximately 5’2” - 5’4” tall. The man had dark brown shoulder-length straight hair and a goatee. He was found wearing a light gray long-sleeved button up shirt, Levi’s jeans (size 30 x 30) and brown tennis shoes (size 7½ - 8). Chemical isotope testing was conducted to estimate his geographical origin: his strontium isotope is consistent with region of birth as Central America, most likely Mexico."
7013-USF16-023C-Final-Strip.jpg

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Should perhaps be listed as Hispanic? Listed as Case 9 on this page University of South Florida Scientists, Top Forensic Artists Aim to Help Solve 20 Cold Cases - University of South Florida

"...In January 1993, a body was discovered between two refrigeration units at the rear of a grocery store in Frostproof, Florida. The remains are believed to be those of an 18 - 25 year old Hispanic male, approximately 5’2” - 5’4” tall. The man had dark brown shoulder-length straight hair and a goatee. He was found wearing a light gray long-sleeved button up shirt, Levi’s jeans (size 30 x 30) and brown tennis shoes (size 7½ - 8). Chemical isotope testing was conducted to estimate his geographical origin: his strontium isotope is consistent with region of birth as Central America, most likely Mexico."
7013-USF16-023C-Final-Strip.jpg

Strange that in the different recons the supposedly broken nose is going to the right (clay) and then left (new).

Here's a strange Jan'93 Florida case that is not in DoeNet, and was just recently added to NamUs.

NamUs UP # 10251 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified White (Possibly Admixed) Male

Found on January 19, 1993 at 11 East H Street, Frostproof (Polk County) Florida

Circumstances:
Remains found hanging between two (2) walk-in coolers at the rear of a supermarket. Blue wire used to facilitate death.

Physical Description:
Approximate age:
17 to 23 years
Weight (pounds): 130, Estimated
Height (inches): 63, Measured
Hair: Brown, shoulder-length and straight
Facial hair: Unshaven with a goatee
Eye color: Unknown - Eyes Missing
Skeletal findings: Possible healing fracture to the infraorbital foramen of the right maxilla and fracture of the nose.

Body condition: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Estimated postmortem interval: 7 Days

Clothing:
Gray "Levi" jeans (size 30X30), Long-sleeve light-gray button shirt (manufacturer and size unidentifiable). Tennis shoes, brown with yellow stripes, approximately size 7-1/2 to 8.

Identifiers:
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Sample is currently not available
Dentals: Available and will be entered later.

bolded underlined by me

Does this, and the eyes being missing, mean this man was murdered? Sad that he remains unidentified.

Reading about this case being in Frostproof made me think of the ambush and murder of the three young men there last year. Those murderers are too young to have had anything to do with the death of this unidentified man, aren’t they?

It sounds like this young man would have family in another country, and that is so sad.

Was a cause of death determined?

(ETA: To me it sounds like homocide. I picture he was attacked, because of his facial fractures, and then they hid him between the two refrigerator units. Not sure where the wire came from?
Unless the fractures weren't new and suicide is suspected?
But I hope this was processed as a crime scene just in case. I wonder if any 3rd party DNA or fingerprints were found.)

Hopefully there will be movement on this case leading to identification.

Last edited:
Updated links

USFL reconstruction
2894UMFL6.jpg
2894UMFL8.jpg

Some time prior to his death he experienced trauma to his face, sustaining a broken nose, fractured teeth, and possibly a broken right cheekbone. One of his upper central teeth was absent leaving a gap that would have been noticeable to others. Dental fillings were seen in some of the remaining teeth suggesting that at one point he saw a dentist and received care. There is indication that this male smoked in life.

According to the Doe Network the cause of death was suicide by hanging. If this is correct, why in heavens sake there? And what did he do in Frostproof? IMO not a fun place to be at all. Could he have resided in one of the mobile home parks?

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this John Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back