Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TX - ARREST - Teen Girls in a relationship, found Shot in head in Texas Park

TX - ARREST - Teen Girls in a relationship, found Shot in head in Texas Park

By Miranda Leitsinger, msnbc.com
    Two teenage girls in a relationship were found with gunshot wounds to the head in a south Texas park, with one of them dying from her injuries, media reports say. Police were searching for their assailants.
    Mollie Judith Olgin, 19, and Mary Christine Chapa, 18, were found in knee-deep grass in a nature area in Portland by a couple Saturday, said Portland Police Chief Randy Wright, who confirmed to msnbc.com details first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller Times.
    Msnbc video

Quote Originally Posted by Thelma View Post
    I don't think i will ever understand why some have to be so destructive in thought, word and action about who people love.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Un real.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cortne For This Useful Post:

I live near where they were shot and have close friends that know the girls. The park is in a nice, clean neighborhood on the bay and has a beautiful scenic outlook. As long as I've been reading about true crime I am still floored that a murder happened there. I have learned in the last couple of days that the park is known for a place where gay people hang out, and also being on the Corpus Christi bay, it is a spot where drugs are distributed.. I don't think the girls were there about drugs. I think they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and saw something they shouldn't have.

Both of the girls went to Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi. Both of their high school principals had nothing but good to say about them.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oceanwatch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    I don't think i will ever understand why some have to be so destructive in thought, word and action about who people love.
    Implying what exactly? Gay people get jealous and homicidal too.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrackerSam For This Useful Post:

It does sound like there is a great deal of tension in Corpus Christi over bullying.

link

oceanwatch: What was your experience? Did you go to the high school and college there? Are there pockets of deep seeded hate that you knew of?

True it is too early to jump to conclusions, but I have never been down south and have no idea what the environment is like beyond what I am told

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thelma For This Useful Post:

It does sound like there is a great deal of tension in Corpus Christi over bullying.

link

oceanwatch: What was your experience? Did you go to the high school and college there? Are there pockets of deep seeded hate that you knew of?

True it is too early to jump to conclusions, but I have never been down south and have no idea what the environment is like beyond what I am told
    I went to college there, and my daughter is in high school there. Gangs are a big problem in the area. Bullying is out of control. FWIW IMO, Portland is the most pompous town I have been in. It's the type of place where they would shoot you for being gay. When I moved here years back I wanted to live near the beach. I went to a local realtor to see about renting a house in Portland and he told me "you can't afford to live in Portland".

I don't know if the attitude of the town got them killed or what happened. I'm impatiently waiting to find out what in the world happened. And, yes, there is a church on nearly every corner. Portland does not fit in with the rest of South Texas whatsoever. I'm not saying the rest of South Texas is great. We have bad problems with gangs and also bullying in the schools and the highways. I'll bet anyone that Corpus Christi tops the charts in road rage.

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to oceanwatch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    The articles I have been following say nothing about motive? How can you speak to motive at this point?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EGirl For This Useful Post:

I went to college at Texas A&M Corpus. I have no idea what you are talking about. Stereotype much?

Our family still has a beach house in Rockport and I have a brother (small business owner) that lives in the area. I don't find any of what you are alluding to to be accurate.

There are bad seeds everywhere.

How do you know an ex girlfriend of one of the young ladies didn't commit this crime?

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EGirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    The articles I have been following say nothing about motive? How can you speak to motive at this point?
    That's fair. We don't know yet. I believe that was TrackerSam's point as well.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

I went to college at Texas A&M Corpus. I have no idea what you are talking about. Stereotype much?

Our family still has a beach house in Rockport and I have a brother (small business owner) that lives in the area. I don't find any of what you are alluding to to be accurate.

There are bad seeds everywhere.

How do you know an ex girlfriend of one of the young ladies didn't commit this crime?
    It was a joke, a reference to a poster's name and the film Thelma and Louise. I deleted it because I decided it wasn't funny enough to be worth upsetting people. Why don't you delete the quote in your post and then it will just be between us?

My bad.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

It's cool. I'm just very irritated about he way the MSM reported this case. Why couldn't it just be 2 young ladies murdered?
    If it were a heterosexual married or dating couple, wouldn't that be reported?

I think so.

But right at the moment there's a lot of focus on violence against gay people, and it's way past time. It wasn't that long ago (15 or 20 years) when a Texas judge apologized to two killers for having to sentence them to the minimum two years in prison for murdering and robbing a gay man.

The pendulum is finally swinging back a bit, that's all.

But you and Sam remain correct that we don't know the facts in THIS case.

23. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    I think Its quite obvious IMO why someone would be of the mindset that this was possibly due to these two young girls being gay.. sadly the prejudice and bullying is rampant in some areas even much worse than others.. obviously that possibility is not so far fetched with there being a local posting here that stated that this area is somewhere where the bullying and prejudice against being gay is an issue..jmo..

Regardless of the why IMO no reason will suffice what's been done to these two young girls.. its a tragedy, period..
    The quickest way to become a fool is to argue with one..

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SmoothOperator For This Useful Post:

My comment had nothing do with motive. IMHO

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jacie Estes For This Useful Post:

The police have said that at this time it does not appear to be a hate crime.

http://www.caller.com/news/2012/jun/...ggest-teenage/

29. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to oceanwatch For This Useful Post:

Ms. Chapa has told police there was a third party involved.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3566...mary-chapa.htm

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oceanwatch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oceanwatch View Post
    Ms. Chapa has told police there was a third party involved.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3566...mary-chapa.htm
    Thank you for keeping us informed, ocean.

Regardless of the motive, obviously this is a tragedy for Ms. Olgin and Ms. Chapa and their families.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

The Texas Rangers became involved today.

http://www.kiiitv.com/story/18887730...-investigation

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oceanwatch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    If it were a heterosexual married or dating couple, wouldn't that be reported?
    I put "Two girls in a relationship" as the title instead because it sounded less sensational than the msnbc title of "lesbian teen girls" while giving relevant information as to gender and relationship; which are both important.

She did talk about having a crazy ex girlfriend on one of her personal sites that I posted then deleted earlier. I don't know if it was wrong of me to post it it just felt wrong.

37. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Thelma For This Useful Post:

I put "Two girls in a relationship" as the title instead because it sounded less sensational than the msnbc title of "lesbian teen girls" while giving relevant information as to gender and relationship; which are both important.

She did talk about having a crazy ex girlfriend on one of her personal sites that I posted then deleted earlier. I don't know if it was wrong of me to post it it just felt wrong.
    I rather like how you handle it here. You're not naming the ex or accusing her of the crime, but you are pointing out that these young women had full lives and we just don't know yet why they were targeted.

You handled it well and as sensitively as possible, if you ask me.

I think if we or the media DON'T mention that the victims were in a relationship, then we imply there's something so awful about a lesbian couple it must be kept secret. As I posted above, the media would certainly mention the relationship if the victims were a man and a woman.

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

FWIW, my mom's best friend from the late 60's until her death was a gay man, who I am still good friends with. He spent a lot of time in the 70's and 80's in "the ramble" in Central Park, hooking up with other gay men. He was mugged and beaten several times. He said the reason criminals targeted the gays is because they are less likely to go to LE (this guy was an LEO at the time, and closeted). So this may not be a hate crime, I guess. Very sad, regardless of the motive.
    JMO

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PHB For This Useful Post:

The police chief does not believe it was a hate crime. He does feel they may have been targeted. Knowing the group that the girl hung out with, both straight and gay, I cannot imagine for the life of me who would have targeted them. Mollie was a serious college student at Texas A&M Corpus Christi. She was going to college on a full scholarship she received for good grades in high school. They were low key girls, both serious students, both worked. Nobody I know that knew them can imagine who would do this if indeed they were targeted.

43. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oceanwatch For This Useful Post:

He said there was no sign of a hate crime, I don't remember him stating he didn't believe it was. It does seem obvious they were targeted, whether or not it was because they were gay may have to wait until Chapa can confer with police.

The place might have been the target, not the girls in particular, as same sex couples are known to gather there.

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thelma For This Useful Post:

The very fact that the title of the thread and the news coverage focus on the "relationship" status of these young ladies implies that some think or assume that their sexuality may be part of the motive for their murders in some way.

ETA I am not sure how those folks arrive at that conclusion or theory. I avoided this thread yesterday simply because of the title, which caused my immediate thought "what the heck does their being in a relationship have to do with the shooting??" I am not a gay person but I try to be sensitive to all and I found the coverage of the young ladies sexuality a bit offensive since we have no indication thus far that it played a role in what happened.
    Last edited by tlcya; 06-27-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Five years ago I wandered in here because of a google search on Haleigh Cummings. "Welcome," folks said "look around a bit, sit a spell." It wasn't long before I found Caylee's threads. It was just that simple.

If you are new to the site allow me to say, "welcome. Look around a bit, sit a spell."

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast