UT - Sierra Newbold, 6, abducted & murdered, West Jordan, 26 June 2012 *Arrest*

cocomod

Reaction score
Girl's body found near home in West Jordan

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=21003149&s_cid=article-popular-2

WEST JORDAN — Police are investigating the death of a 6-year-old girl, who was found dead in a canal near her home Tuesday morning.

Police are calling her death "suspicious" and a possible homicide. It occurred in the same neighborhood where a fire destroyed two houses on Saturday.

She was dead at the scene, but Sanders declined to talk about the condition of her body or whether she had any obvious injuries.

West Jordan police say girl’s death ‘possible homicide’

Police taped off the entire block around the home...

------------------

Some officers were seen searching garbage cans for evidence.

.......... officers were investigating whether unspecified surveillance video footage, possibly from a home in the area, was being checked out.

Detectives also were looking into a possible break-at the girl’s home.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/54378057-78/girl-police-sanders-west.html.csp

I was going to put this in Crimes Against Children... until I saw it had been posted here.

I am interested to see what makes them think this is suspicious.
If she was in the canal, that is where you look when a child goes missing.

There wasn't time for an autopsy... so they don't know if she drowned yet.
Had she obviously been dead longer than reported?

Then I am reminded we have had several "suspicious" child deaths in Utah which ended up being nothing suspicious... :waitasec:

I too wondered about the "suspicious" death; however, I wonder if there is obvious trauma to her body to indicate something other than drowning. I will be waiting to hear more on this case.

Thanks for posting this. I've been downtown all day and just made it home.

How deep are these canals? Could a 6 year old stand up in one with head and shoulders out of the water?

They specifically said there was NO visible trauma.

And generally these canals are too deep to stand up in. The water levels are not real high at the moment, so anything is possible.
However, I am not clear on whether this is a canal or an irrigation ditch, which are two very different things.
I can't get pictures to load to verify.

I have been told that her name is Sierra Newbold... and I believe I know the family. I also heard it on the radio. Looking for a link...

Okay, found a link. Girl found in canal identified.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment/54378057-78/girl-sierra-police-west.html.csp

This isn't likely to make huge news because the entire state is burning down right now.
We have several major fires, burning homes, animals, cabins... I grew up in these places...
I am not a sentimental person... but wow. All of our favorite places are burning to the ground. Despite being miles and miles apart. :tears:

Fox 13 News at 9pm:

Yes, canal was 4 feet deep.
They also said the FBI is sorting through video... (from homes, businesses, I don't know.)
They also said that they are treating it as a possible homicide so they don't miss any evidence.
They believe it's an isolated incident. There was no signs of a break in.

Oh and earlier on KSL Radio it said that although they don't know what happened to Sierra or who did it...
they are sure there isn't a "serial child stalker" on the loose.
:waitasec: Alrighty then.

PINK was Sierra's favorite color.

People are drawing comparisons between Sierra and the unsolved murder of Rosie Tapia 17 years ago...

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=210...ed-to-mind-in-6-year-olds-death&s_cid=queue-1

I agree same age, gone in the middle of the night, found in a canal... but I'm not getting the impression cops believe Sierra was abducted from her house.

There is also the racial difference, though of course that may or may not be relevant to a serial predator. I think the odds are slim.

I hope the possible security cameras that were mentioned in previous articles will show something to help solve what happened to Sierra Newbold.

Also, the article directly above ( http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=210...ed-to-mind-in-6-year-olds-death&s_cid=queue-1 ) says "They were both six years old, they were both taken from or left their homes in the middle of the night"
I might be nitpicking here, but Sierra was discovered missing at 7:30am, they must be generalizing when they say 'middle of the night'.

MOO/

Fox 13 News at 11am:

The autopsy has confirmed that Sierra was murdered and there is evidence she was sexually assaulted.

They are now working towards apprehending the person who did this.

The security video is being enhanced and there ARE images on there.

They have evidence that this is an isolated incident. Nobody panic, just take normal precautions.

They want to make VERY sure before they make an arrest that they have it right...

I certainly hope they aren't implying her Dad did this... and I hope they DO look at whoever did this in Rosie's cases too. Just to be sure.

This is so hard to hear. Sounds like LE is moving quick on this. I wonder if we will see an arrest today.

They also said there WERE signs of trauma but wouldn't elaborate... but that seems to have disappeared... :waitasec:

Generally speaking, it seems to me someone that would leave a body that close to home isn't worried about it leading back to them.
It's not like this was an accidental bump on the head and panic... obviously a crime was committed even without the death...
So if it's an adult IN the home why leave the body so close? No signs of a break in doesn't mean much to me either... that happens a lot.
This is an odd one... maybe it will lead to solving more than just Sierra's case.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54385955-78/girl-police-west-autopsy.html.csp

There was no obvious sign of a break-in at her home, near 2400 West and 7100 South, Diamond said.

-----------------

At the time the mother called police, her husband had already left for work, Diamond said, but a younger sister and an older brother were home.

With the Newbold family’s cooperation, police obtained a search warrant to search their home for evidence, Diamond said.

http://fox13now.com/2012/06/27/police-west-jordan-girl-was-sexually-assaulted-murdered/

Police sought a number of warrants in connection with their investigation.

Police said they were also looking at surveillance video around Sierra’s home to aid their investigation.

------------------------

Police say they have evidence that the incident was isolated and they have not made any arrests in connection with the case.

How do police know it is an "isolated" incident?

That poor child. I get physically sick everytime another child is found sexually abused and murdered. This has to stop.

How do police know it is an "isolated" incident?

I don't know how they know it's an isolated incident... I hate it when they say that.
Rosie's case is almost identical. Unless they KNOW who did it, how can they say that? :banghead:

To ME it sounds like they believe it was someone in the house... and I find that VERY hard to believe. (Which is uncommon for me.)

I think it must be a friend or something outside the house. This seems like an inexperienced person, maybe younger.

I will say right now if they blame her Dad... people are going to freak out completely and I will be in total shock.
The family is getting unwavering support and it is WIDELY believed that none of them could be involved.
People aren't going to accept it easily if police claim they are, so they are right to take their time and make SURE. :twocents:

He said the medical examiner’s office has determined a cause of death for the 6-year-old, but police are withholding that information so as not to compromise the investigation.

-----------------------------

"We do have evidence now that indicates this is more of an isolated incident," Sanders said.
"We don’t think there is a predator on the loose."

-----------------------------------

Sanders confirmed Wednesday that surveillance video at the Newbold home captured images, but said he could not discuss what those images showed.

He also said police were withholding how long Sierra had been dead before police found her body, how she might have ended up in the canal, and if they recovered DNA evidence because they don’t want to compromise the ongoing investigation.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54385955-78/police-sierra-sanders-west.html.csp

My guess is strangulation.
And the camera at the house only furthers my belief this wasn't someone who lived there... and knew about the camera.

Poor little girl. Makes me so angry that a child isn't safe in her own home. I hope they catch the monster who did this ASAP.

This is just horrible. Poor little baby. My heart is breaking. So sad.

Pray they catch this monster NOW.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back