Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Hmm... Howe Ave. and La Rivera is a short distance from the 800 block of Howe Ave. where she walked away from on day one. I was with a search party on day 2 and we were sent well north to the Arden Way area. At about 11pm that night she was supposedly seen by family members at Costco, perhaps you know the cross streets for Costco I don't. She apparently eluded them. When I got out of the service back in '75, I lived up in Kings Beach and I didn't have much money. I discovered that I could actually eat pretty well by going through the dumpsters at supermarkets. They toss all dairy and various other foods on the expiration dates, but the food is good for quite a while after that date. She may have been foraging. It does appear that the whole story may not be available to us all yet, and perhaps not even to law enforcement. Whatever the case may be, I would like to see this young lady found and receiving appropriate assistance.......

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sgtstriker For This Useful Post:

I think that is indeed part of the problem. Coordination and intelligence sharing is greatly lacking. At least it appeared to be on day 2...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sgtstriker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by handyman916 View Post
    What i dont understand if the family feels she has serious mental problems why is she even going to college a good one hour and a half away from home? So i question how much of this has to do with parents maybe demanding too much?
    I see it as, if the parents wanted to control her why didn't they send her to community college close by? Why let her go away to school?

I think the mental problems developed while she was away in school....during the time approaching finals, which would be at the end of the semester. They probably noticed a marked change in her conversation by phone. Her friends have said they also noticed a change in her and were concerned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by s_r_b_13 View Post
    I agree. I'd guess her mental state has only started declining recently. She's undoubtedly been under a lot of stress at school (the nervous breakdown around finals), which may have exacerbated any underlying mental health issues she may have. Not to mention her age - young adulthood is most commonly when psychological issues present themselves.

I also agree with the poster who said Linnea may be afraid the police will contact her parents if they find out where she's hiding. Especially if she's having feelings of paranoia. The more that comes out, the more I believe she is ok (physically, at least) and simply hiding herself away.

Hopefully someone with information can come forward so her parents at least know she's safe. Even if they don't find out where exactly she is, I believe it would bring them a lot of relief to know that at least someone is looking out for their daughter and knows where she is.
    I concur wholeheartedly with your comment, "young adulthood is the most commonly when psychological issues present themselves." I learned from the professionals that this is true. Pressure, stress, and other circumstances can cause these "psychotic breaks" or "breakdowns." Sometimes there are very few clues that this is about to happen. Often, parents and loved ones can look back and notice some areas of the victims life where there were clues that something might go awry....but only in hindsight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    Unless perhaps she left the clinic and got onto a city bus soon after? Then it would end abruptly.

I've read many articles of late regarding the complete unpreparedness, for lack of a better word, of many young people when they go away to college these days, due to the sheltering/pampering background of many American kids over the past few decades. My niece was shocked to learn that almost all of the freshmen she met when she started college were going to counseling on-campus, to help them deal with simple, basic living skills. And many ended up returning home, unable to deal with the pressures. So Linnea is certainly not alone, as far as breaking from the stress, if that is what happened.
    BBM
    I sure would like to know if theyve looked at any camera footage. Stores,busses etc...
    If I really thought I could...
    Id give up your ghost for good.
    But Im not so sure it isnt you..
    That keeps my ghost from leaving too.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GateKeeper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
    No updates...

It's difficult to understand how she can continue to evade so many people looking for her, especially if these sightings are accurate and she is wandering within a limited area in the city.
    Actually, it's not a "limited" area-- the river parkway alone goes on for thirty-two miles-- eastward from the downtown Sacramento area to the suburban community of Folsom. Folsom, btw, is a place she'd likely be very familiar with, as many from her small community access the retail and business core along Hwy 50 there. Imo, she could get from downtown (or Howe Ave.) without being detected fairly easily.

Here's a link to a very probably location for her: http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=BGS057-026

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    I also worry about the dynamics in Linnea's family. From the sounds of it, her parents are very religious. Nothing wrong with that, except some parents tend to not like it very much when their child "strays" from the religion they were brought up in. I was raised in a very religious home, my Dad's a pastor. In my first year of college, I began to have doubts about my religious beliefs, serious enough that I moved away from religion completely. My parents were sad about it, but accepted it. I know some parents don't. They believe that "Satan" has a hold on their child and they do all kinds of weird crap to bring them "back to the Lord". Not saying this happened in her family. The first year in college is a time of figuring out what you really believe. I went through a very dark time when I had my doubts about the beliefs I had been raised with all my life. I just wonder if something similar played a role in Linnea's mental health issues.
    I know people who know the family, this occurred to me after hearing what they had to say.

Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    I thought about that too. I think she also could have functioned within the same group of people, all with very similar values for a long time and going to UC Davis would be much different. I think being a perfectionist can also become stressful and who knows why she was one. It's also possible that courses at UC Davis weren't a piece of cake - sometimes kids excel in high school or high school activities, but college is not as easy. It could be even more difficult if you are simultaneously breaking out of the mold. Or maybe she had something going on that her parents and community really wouldn't have approved of. She also seemed to work in their rafting/Christian camp business which I'd assume would just be going into high gear?

Your post makes me think about something Tori Amos once said - her dad was a preacher and she said that the one thing he let her have freedom in was her music.

Quote Originally Posted by nikb View Post
    Aw thanks! I assumed that about the fighting like families, I've been a part of internet communities before... Love the wagon emoticons.

I agree, I think something triggered this and that's what led me to finally post and share it on FB. I forgot to mention earlier I'm also a UC Davis Alum and perfectionist - no fault on the part of UCD or parents, but I can see how the stress got to her! She probably wants the help even if she doesn't know it right at this moment.

I have friends who hang out on or near the river a LOT in particular in the areas she's been spotted. We'll be out there later this week too and will of course keep an eye out if she hasn't been found yet. With no disrespect intended whatsoever... if she's currently in the homeless community, the cleaner/nicer homeless people seem to be at Discovery Park (as in respectful and I'm likely to give them food or money vs. feeling threatened and getting out of there ASAP), so I'm hoping she's with them or better yet in a safer place. My biggest hope is they find her safe and as you say, work out the rest.

Anyone know if she's into boating/rafting/swimming at all? I hope she's found before then but if not, the 4th of July brings out a HUGE group of boaters and rafters around here. Often there are groups of boats tied together and people just kind of jump from boat to boat hanging out, BBQing, etc. I'm just thinking if I were homeless (especially newly homeless), hungry, and young/pretty, it'd be a good day to be out on the river. It might be a good time to step up searches in that area.
    There is concern about her being "pulled" from school right before finals. The article concerns me on so many levels I'm not permitted to quote them all. Suffice it to say, EVERYTHING that her father had to say throws up warning flags for me:

1st ...has been missing for more than 48 hours. “I think people call it a nervous breakdown. I don’t know if that’s the technical term for it but she just got so stressed she broke down,”

(Why the heck doesn't he know exactly what the technical term is, she just got released from the hospital and was in outpatient care. Why is he uninformed?)

2nd "...she’s a perfectionist, a straight-A student and hard worker, always focused on doing her best. But after struggling with a class and a few physical injuries, she started to change."

(my interpretation? She was exactly how we liked her to be, THEN she let us down.)

3rd “She had lost a lot of weight and she was very stressed, and she wasn’t being reasonable,”

(Concern about drugs or study aids? the final thought there makes me extremely suspicious of Dad's motivations. )

4th ...family was so worried they pulled her out of school right before finals and put her into a mental health hospital for 10 days. Just a day after being released, she disappeared.

(I have so many problems with these tidbits! Her parents PULLED her out of school before she finished the term. She has now flunked and may even lose her opportunity to study at Davis next year. Her transcript is permanently scarred and though she can retake those credits, it still destroyed her perfect record. My understanding is that she had a 4.5 gpa in HS. This in itself, is a battle I'm certain she would have rather fought. I'm simply not surprised she took off, I think she's furious with her "support" system.)

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...alth-hospital/

She definitely knows her way around a river-- rafting/camping is a family business (out of Coloma).

What is she doing for money, food, etc.?
    I'm certain she's foraging, and very successfully. There's always panhandling, as well. (she could probably out earn all of us just asking for bus fare, lunch money, etc.)

Speaking of bus fares-- when I heard she'd been spotted on Del Paso Blvd., I immediately connected that with the Regional Transit transfer hub there... it's a major destination for many routes.

Quote Originally Posted by handyman916 View Post
    So someone removed the post that she was seen today on Howe and La Rivera. They also removed the post on Facebooks that she was seen today. Also someone on here is posting for people to call the family hotline with tips and sightings of her. It should not be that way they need to call police otherwise they are violating her HIPA rights by asking people to call a private number and not police. That post should be removed and people just told to call police not the family hotline. We are talking about a voluntarily missing adult.
    This is my feeling, too. I really don't like the directive to not approach her... wth? I would absolutely want to know if she's the right individual, and if she was okay, needed help, and so on. Imo, my charge would be to let her know her folks are looking for her and her name's all over the news.

Hi, neighbor!

If she is voluntarily missing, LE may not be as active as the family would like, hence asking people to contact them. LE does not usually spend a lot of time on adults who go missing on purpose.

And she may not be in a state of mind to contact LE; it may not even occur to her. She may believe that LE will inform her parents of her whereabouts.
    I have to wonder if LE is even looking for her... there was one statement last week by a Sheriff, but nothing since, iirc. There's no organized searches by LE, no presence of all the missing person's support organizations, etc.. This is the only thing I've seen regarding the law being involved:

SACRAMENTO, CA - Sheriff's deputies need help looking for a teen who went missing Tuesday afternoon.

Linnea Lomax, 19, was last seen around 1 p.m. at a business on the 800 block of Howe Avenue, Sacramento County sheriff's Deputy Jason Ramos said.

Lomax is considered at-risk because her disappearance is inconsistent with her normal behavior patterns, Ramos said.

Lomax was described as white, 5 feet 2 inches tall, and weighing about 100 pounds. She has long, blond hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing a black, hooded sweatshirt with "Sweden" in red letters on it and green pants.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts was urged to call the sheriff's department at (916) 874-5115
    http://midtown.news10.net/news/news/...pnews|bc|large

Okay, sorry about my big old honkin' post, but there's just so much that bothers me about this case... it doesn't happen very often, but I feel like an intruder into what should be Linnea's private (actually, VERY private) affairs. I feel bad for her... and in looking at more current media stories, I just feel worse. In essence, this bright and beautiful young girl has had her reputation damaged on every level-- personal, social, academic, psychologically, and civically. Her good name has been besmirched to such a degree that I imagine if it were me, I'd have to leave the region entirely unless I was willing to fend off questions for decades. Pretty hard to get past when your hometown, your college town, and the metro region you're associated with all think you lost your mind.

Linnea-- if you, by chance, read this: I'm not believing ANYTHING until I hear it from you. As far as I'm concerned, you ARE the honor student, the perfectionist, the lovely small town girl you've always been, no matter what's gone on in the past month or two. Grab the reins and wrangle this stampede to a halt. Call LE, shoot, call channel 10 and give them a statement, you don't have to talk to your parents if you don't want to. Let us know you're okay, then take a deep breath.

moo

eta: Oh, here's a news item from the little Davis paper... same stuff, over and over. http://davis.patch.com/articles/linn...fort-continues

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    BBM
    I sure would like to know if theyve looked at any camera footage. Stores,busses etc...
    Agreed... there's GOT to be footage from somewhere unless she's been avoiding public places completely. It sounds like that's not the case if she's been seen at/near stores, light rail stations, etc.

Someone mentioned earlier on this thread (sorry forgot who) that she'd been in touch with at least one person and was angry. Was that confirmed? I couldn't find it on FB. I hope it's true, if so it means she's still alive and still fighting/motivated. And even still in this area.

I find it strange that from the limited reports we've seen/heard she seems to be sticking around a pretty small area. By now it would've been very easy for her to bail to Tahoe, San Francisco, or some of the rural areas outside of Sac. - or much farther of course, but those would be the obvious immediate choices. Is she with someone? Does she feel safer since she knows the area? (although living in Placerville and then Davis wouldn't necessarily give you a lot of familiarity with Sacramento). It's a fairly highly traveled area... more chances she'd be spotted but also more chances she'd be able to blend in/hide? Obviously I don't know, not even speculating at this point, but it just strikes me as odd.

I have not been able to join the official search/check in etc. and probably won't be able to unless this goes on for another week, but of course I look for her everytime I'm out and I've been driving off the beaten path on my way to/from work, errands, etc. just in case. Does anyone happen to know if she's been seen in the general direction of Arden/Carmichael/Fair Oaks at all? Seems like she's been more West of where I am, but if she's likely to be out my way I'll keep an extra close eye out. We get a ton of pedestrians on my street.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nikb For This Useful Post:

I hope it's true, if so it means she's still alive and still fighting/motivated.
    Yes I'm quoting myself... sorry. I just wanted to clarify I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate that she's NOT still alive. It's just that after a week, that horrible thought starts to creep into your head.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikb For This Useful Post:

nikb ... I just want to say that when I taught at the university level, they would make exceptions when a student had a big crisis. I did it a couple of times. If she only had finals to finish or papers, I think they would allow her to go ahead and do this. Each professor would arrange what she needs to finish. They would let her take incompletes on coursework (probably even if it was a bit more than I mentioned.)

Thanks for the great post.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to time For This Useful Post:

Yes I was going to say the same, having worked in the main office ofmy college, there were all different types of circumstances with people coming in post semester to finish courses.Another friend had her entire masters thesis(plus all research backed up on TWO harddrives) burn(along with all her belongings) the month it was due.Things happen, if she was a good and dedicated student, the school will work with her.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ellabella For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiche View Post
    Actually, it's not a "limited" area-- the river parkway alone goes on for thirty-two miles-- eastward from the downtown Sacramento area to the suburban community of Folsom. Folsom, btw, is a place she'd likely be very familiar with, as many from her small community access the retail and business core along Hwy 50 there. Imo, she could get from downtown (or Howe Ave.) without being detected fairly easily.
    I think we cross-posted... I agree, it's a relatively small area given the other places she could readily get to, but it's not THAT limited. She's certainly had options to go much farther, but it would be very easy for her to be anywhere along the parkway without being noticed. For that matter she could probably get back to Davis undetected if she was willing to brave the causeway. I didn't even think about her likely being familiar with Folsom, but great point.

There is concern about her being "pulled" from school right before finals.
    In particular... how do you "pull" an adult out of her classes? That part confused me, too.

She has now flunked and may even lose her opportunity to study at Davis next year. Her transcript is permanently scarred and though she can retake those credits, it still destroyed her perfect record. My understanding is that she had a 4.5 gpa in HS. This in itself, is a battle I'm certain she would have rather fought. I'm simply not surprised she took off, I think she's furious with her "support" system.)
    I sincerely hope that no matter what the truth ends up being here, the school would be reasonable in allowing her to start fresh. But you're right, that's a LOT of pressure on her.

I'm certain she's foraging, and very successfully. There's always panhandling, as well. (she could probably out earn all of us just asking for bus fare, lunch money, etc.)
    Yeah this time of year and where she seems to be it wouldn't be difficult at all to find food - whether foraging or just the kindness of strangers. I was surprised actually by the earlier comment that she seemed to be emaciated. I'm sure she's not eating particularly WELL but I think she would be able to find food easily.

In essence, this bright and beautiful young girl has had her reputation damaged on every level-- personal, social, academic, psychologically, and civically. Her good name has been besmirched to such a degree that I imagine if it were me, I'd have to leave the region entirely unless I was willing to fend off questions for decades.
    I know... this is the reason I've wavered so much on sharing the story and getting involved. I finally did obviously, but it wasn't an easy decision. It's just going to be one more uphill battle she'll have to fight once she's found (trying to remain optimistic here about her being found. ). I sincerely hope that she gets the opportunity for a fresh start, whatever that means for her.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikb For This Useful Post:

nikb ... I just want to say that when I taught at the university level, they would make exceptions when a student had a big crisis. I did it a couple of times. If she only had finals to finish or papers, I think they would allow her to go ahead and do this. Each professor would arrange what she needs to finish. They would let her take incompletes on coursework (probably even if it was a bit more than I mentioned.)

Thanks for the great post.
    I think Quiche gets credit for the post you're talking about, but I agree with you. My Jr. year at UCD I had a lot of pretty bad things happen in my personal life, and they were very accomodating about letting me take incompletes or even drop classes after the 'official' cut off date.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Quiche, great post. I've been lurking the thread but honestly was afraid to jump in because there is so much bothering me about this situation.

Added to what Handyman posted about them handing out bibles at the search HQ and... Well...
    It's odd, isn't it?

Another thing I have not seen an answer to-- where was she living? Was she in student housing during the term? If so, she may have had to vacate that during the break. Was she rooming with other students off campus? If so, why haven't we heard from them about her new circle of daily friends in Davis. Did she work in Davis? Did she have a boyfriend? What does her social life look like?

Was she expected to go home with her parents to live between semesters?

Just so many areas of her life not being divulged or looked into, it's perplexing.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

Agreed... there's GOT to be footage from somewhere unless she's been avoiding public places completely. It sounds like that's not the case if she's been seen at/near stores, light rail stations, etc.

Someone mentioned earlier on this thread (sorry forgot who) that she'd been in touch with at least one person and was angry. Was that confirmed? I couldn't find it on FB. I hope it's true, if so it means she's still alive and still fighting/motivated. And even still in this area.

<respectfully snipped>.

nib ... I wrote about that yesterday. There's a direct link to the posts a page or two back. I don't really want to paraphrase or interpret the posts as you should read them yourself. When someone suggested on the page that the could put up poster Linnea could read with some alternatives for where to go or who to call. One poster who knows the family did seem to infer someone/others had talked to her and said Linnea has been offered alternatives/phone numbers/etc, that she is a very smart girl basically and is probably reading the FB posts. This seems like a whole lot of intention and capability to me for someone who is not able to think or care for themselves. Another poster said she is just angry - I don't know, it sounded like someone talking about a belligerent child to me rather than trying to give this young woman safety, food, shelter, and medical care. I'm just not so sure that has to be forced on her, maybe just offered without so many string attached?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to time For This Useful Post:

nib ... I wrote about that yesterday. There's a direct link to the posts a page or two back. I don't really want to paraphrase or interpret the posts as you should read them yourself. <snipped> (<respectfully> - I like that!)
    I'll try to find them again. I know what you mean about trying to interpret or paraphrase. I AM glad to hear that contacts, resources, etc. are being posted or put out there for her to see as alternatives in case that's what she needs.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to nikb For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast