Suicide by economic crisis

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
"Police are now investigating whether the man, Michael Marin, purposefully killed himself. Shortly after the jury read its verdict and sentenced him to 16 years in prison, Marin appeared to place something in his mouth several times and drink from a bottle he brought with him into the courtroom. Minutes later, he suffered from a seizure and died. Police can't yet confirm whether Marin’s death was a suicide."

"Tragically, if Marin’s death was indeed a suicide, he wouldn’t be the first to end his life in the face of financial woes. Norman Rousseau shot and killed himself in May in the midst of a battle with Wells Fargo to stay in his home. In Ohio, a man shot his wife and then turned the gun on himself one day after authorities ordered him to leave his home. "

<snipped>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...id=webmail1#s609557&title=8_Affording_Minimum

Sounds like he might have taken cyanide. If he did, wonder where he got it from?

I do have sympathy for those that take their own lives. Especially when the victim succumbs to depression.

I don't know if this man fits in the above. The thing I noted at your link Kimster (video) is he seems to possibly have been a risk taker too. He could possibly be on the antisocial personality disorder continuum somewhere. Just a possibility. Who knows?

My sympathy for his family and friends.

Just saw the vid on Fox. Interesting...and kind of scary. And I suspect, if this is suicide by economic crisis, that we will see quite a bit more of it coming up. My Dad lived in NY during the Great Depression, and told stories of how he witnessed two people, on two different occasions, jump to their deaths.

I am so sad for all those folks...

Best-
Herding Cats

Sounds like he might have taken cyanide. If he did, wonder where he got it from?

I do have sympathy for those that take their own lives. Especially when the victim succumbs to depression.

I don't know if this man fits in the above. The thing I noted at your link Kimster (video) is he seems to possibly have been a risk taker too. He could possibly be on the antisocial personality disorder continuum somewhere. Just a possibility. Who knows?

My sympathy for his family and friends.

Kat, doesn't cyanide leave a noticeable odor of almonds in the air around the "victim"?

I realize what I'm about to say isn't popular, but I think suicide instead of 16 years in an AZ prison can be a sane choice. It doesn't require a disorder.

Good question Nova. I think I might have read somewhere that not all people can detect the bitter almond smell of cyanide.

Let me go look. Well I can't find a decent link. But, I was reading a memoir by a forensic pathologist many years ago and he said that less than half the population can smell it. (he said he had an assistant that smelled it when he opened up a cadaver, but that he didn't smell it himself).

But then again there are a lot of things he could have taken. That just popped into my mind because of the description of how he acted and the fact his face was red.

Good question Nova. I think I might have read somewhere that not all people can detect the bitter almond smell of cyanide.

Let me go look. Well I can't find a decent link. But, I was reading a memoir by a forensic pathologist many years ago and he said that less than half the population can smell it. (he said he had an assistant that smelled it when he opened up a cadaver, but that he didn't smell it himself).

But then again there are a lot of things he could have taken. That just popped into my mind because of the description of how he acted and the fact his face was red.

I had a friend 25 years ago whose roommate decided to take cyanide. It sounded pretty dramatic and a lot more than merely keeling over and "snoring". In fact, it sounded like a nasty way to die.

But the suicide changed his mind after taking the cyanide and woke my friend up begging for help; too late. That no doubt added to the drama and discomfort.

Of course, it might also make a difference what the cyanide was coated with, I presume.

Kat, doesn't cyanide leave a noticeable odor of almonds in the air around the "victim"?

I realize what I'm about to say isn't popular, but I think suicide instead of 16 years in an AZ prison can be a sane choice. It doesn't require a disorder.

I guess it depends on the person, but I would take the 16 years instead of killing myself. jmo of course

I hope I'm doing this correctly, but here is an article about him after the fire and before he was arrested. It gives you a good look into this man IMO.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009...g-scuba-gear-and-now-he-s-charged-with-arson/

Hope that link works - if not, feel free to holler at me :)

Wow. Says it all.

It's very clear in the video he had something in his left hand as it was clasp when he put his hands up to face and then you could see him "scoop" it into his mouth and then see his thoat as he swallowed. Now curious how in the world did he get it? Was he out on bail and not in holding?

Jim Jones in Guyana. Authorities say he did take cyanide, but the chicken xxxx knew the horrors of it's death from the others he made take it and shot himself in the head right after he ingested it.

Fascinating story. I can't wait for the toxicology report.
Michael Marin, ex-Wall Street banker, may have swallowed poison pill during courtroom conviction for arson

Marin, 53, of Phoenix had just been found guilty of arson, a crime that could have put him away for nearly 16 years. Police are investigating whether poison was the cause of death.

By Erik Ortiz / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, June 29, 2012, 6:54 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...viction-arson-article-1.1104528#ixzz1zEykdbsY

Wow. Says it all.

It's very clear in the video he had something in his left hand as it was clasp when he put his hands up to face and then you could see him "scoop" it into his mouth and then see his thoat as he swallowed. Now curious how in the world did he get it? Was he out on bail and not in holding?

Jim Jones in Guyana. Authorities say he did take cyanide, but the chicken xxxx knew the horrors of it's death from the others he made take it and shot himself in the head right after he ingested it.

From the video I saw, he took two (IMO). There is an in-court video where it looks like he swallows something right after the verdict, then again about five minutes later, along with drinking from the water bottle he brought with him. Two minutes later, he's struggling... I've never watched anything like that, always avoid it and had no idea that it was that candid. I think what disturbs me the most is watching him for five minutes, after he allegedly takes the first dose, come to grips with what he's done to himself and his loved ones. Then the second one, it's as if he's lost every ounce of hope. Something I won't forget.

He was found guilty, I get that, but what was in his heart, soul, and mind to think that this was the best way to deal with the verdict... haunting.

From the video I saw, he took two (IMO). There is an in-court video where it looks like he swallows something right after the verdict, then again about five minutes later, along with drinking from the water bottle he brought with him. Two minutes later, he's struggling... I've never watched anything like that, always avoid it and had no idea that it was that candid. I think what disturbs me the most is watching him for five minutes, after he allegedly takes the first dose, come to grips with what he's done to himself and his loved ones. Then the second one, it's as if he's lost every ounce of hope. Something I won't forget.

He was found guilty, I get that, but what was in his heart, soul, and mind to think that this was the best way to deal with the verdict... haunting.

can you link to that in-court video?

all I can find is the one linked in the OP

TIA

can you link to that in-court video?

all I can find is the one linked in the OP

TIA

I don't feel comfortable posting the actual link, but if you go to youtube, search for "man collapses, dies in court after being convicted of arson". The video is around 9 minutes long.

It's uncensored, unedited until after he collapses, right around the 7 minute mark, then someone is recording on a phone (I think) while they're wheeling him out to the ambulance. WARNING: This is a disturbing video!!!

All for the love of money. I know what he did was wrong but I can't help but feel sorry for him. He knew that the life he had known was over.

IMO, you can divide suicides into two categories... Selfish and Desperate. I feel bad for the desperate ones because they might be able to overcome their extreme emotional overload to go on and live a normal life if they hold out long enough. I don't feel sorry for the selfish, such as this man. Some might say that this man was desperate. I say he was selfish. He planned this without regard to what it would do to his family and those who would be subjected to his choice of suicide. He didn't care what it would do to them, only himself and what he wanted. Much the same way he committed his crime. Then instead of standing up and taking responsibility for his actions he takes a coward's way out. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

IMO, you can divide suicides into two categories... Selfish and Desperate. I feel bad for the desperate ones because they might be able to overcome their extreme emotional overload to go on and live a normal life if they hold out long enough. I don't feel sorry for the selfish, such as this man. Some might say that this man was desperate. I say he was selfish. He planned this without regard to what it would do to his family and those who would be subjected to his choice of suicide. He didn't care what it would do to them, only himself and what he wanted. Much the same way he committed his crime. Then instead of standing up and taking responsibility for his actions he takes a coward's way out. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Jack, when you put it that way, I guess I agree with you.

I guess it depends on the person, but I would take the 16 years instead of killing myself. jmo of course

And I think that's an equally sane choice. I wasn't arguing FOR the suicide option, just saying that when the alternative is sufficiently unpleasant, suicide isn't always unreasonable.

His grandchildren would have been virtual adults by the time he got out of prison; even his children may well have been strangers. It's not as though he was going to be able to be a key part of their lives for the next decade and a half. So I'm not convinced this action was so terribly selfish.

I don't deny that his own choices brought him to the point of desperation. But isn't that true of all of us?

Was going to search for the Youtube video but I don't think that I can take another one of these disturbing videos.

He sounds quite the maverick and his actions after sentencing seem to fit. Very sad for his family though :(

I am not sure that I could live with the shame of being a convicted criminal

Was going to search for the Youtube video but I don't think that I can take another one of these disturbing videos.

He sounds quite the maverick and his actions after sentencing seem to fit. Very sad for his family though :(

I am not sure that I could live with the shame of being a convicted criminal

It's not actually as graphic as it sounds. There's very little reaction until the last few seconds when he begins to convulse; then the camera pulls back and he is basically blocked by his lawyer and a bailiff who comes to help.

It's more the idea of it than anything that actually appears in the tape.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back